Share this @internewscast.com
Dazed survivors of a pair of major earthquakes in the southern Philippines awoke on Saturday to scenes of devastation, after hundreds of aftershocks rocked the region overnight.
Many coastal residents of Mindanao island slept outdoors, fearful of being crushed to death by aftershocks of the 7.4 and 6.7-magnitude quakes that struck off the coast within hours of each other on Friday.
Philippine authorities said at least eight people were killed, but they were still assessing the extent of the damage.

In Manay, a municipality in Mindanao with a population of 40,000, residents were busy on Saturday morning clearing away debris and sweeping up shattered glass from homes and various other buildings.

A woman on a stretcher is carried by four men, an ambulance is behind her

In the earthquake-affected town of Manay, Davao Oriental province, in the southern Philippines, residents can be seen carrying a woman on a stretcher. Source: AP / Jeoffrey Maitem

“Our small house and our small store were destroyed,” resident Ven Lupogan said.

“We have nowhere to sleep. There’s no electricity. We have nothing to eat.”
A tsunami warning was issued for southern coastal areas of the archipelago nation, but it was later lifted.

800 aftershocks

Some people in Manay slept in tents, under improvised tarps and hammocks, inside vehicles, and on mats laid out in parks or the sides of streets as aftershocks rippled across the region of 1.8 million people.
At the heavily damaged Manay government hospital, patients lay on beds outside waiting for treatment.

Many had been wheeled out on Friday because government engineers said the building had been structurally compromised.

Philippines Earthquake

Residents gather under a tent in the earthquake-hit town of Manay. Source: AP / Jeoffrey Maitem

Nearby shopkeepers cleaned up broken glass and put merchandise back on shelves.

Vilma Lagnayo scrambled to save her family’s clothes and belongings from their collapsed Manay home.
“Reconstructing [our home] is difficult now … money is a problem,” Lagnayo said.
The Philippine seismology office has recorded more than 800 aftershocks since the first quake struck Mindanao, which is riddled by major faults. It said these are expected to last for weeks.
In Mati, about two hours’ drive southwest along the coast, Margarita Mulle and her relatives held a wake for her older sister, who had earlier died from disease, even as neighbours stayed away after tsunami warnings that have since been lifted.
“In case something happens, they [relatives] will carry the body using a ‘tora-tora’,” a tearful Mulle said, using a local term for a hand tractor-drawn cart that is a major mode of transport in rural areas of the south.
Earthquakes are a near-daily occurrence in the Philippines, which is situated on the Pacific ‘Ring of Fire’, an arc of intense seismic activity stretching from Japan through Southeast Asia and across the Pacific basin.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
The Prime Minister Anthony Albanese and Jodie Haydon after getting married today in Canberra.

Inside the Secret Wedding of Anthony Albanese and Jodie Haydon at The Lodge: Exclusive Details Revealed

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has married long-time partner Jodie Haydon in an…
Police have arrested a 16-year-old boy.

Teenager in Critical Condition After Adelaide Shopping Centre Altercation; One Arrested

A teenager is in critical condition, and a 20-year-old man is seriously…
Neuroblastoma is a deadly cancer that can affect children as young as two-years-old. A new study by the Garvan Institute may have found a drug that can help cure it.

Potential Breakthrough Drug Surfaces for Treating Deadly Childhood Cancer

A medication, already approved for cancer treatment, might now offer a new…

UN Urges Global Solidarity Following Trump’s Pledge to Halt Migration from Developing Nations

UN agencies have asked the US to continue to allow asylum seekers…

Tragic Floods in Southeast Asia Claim Over 250 Lives

Days of devastating flooding across Southeast Asia have killed more than 250…
ACT Policing is urging the mother of the newborn baby to seek medical attention.

Heartbreaking Discovery: Newborn Baby Abandoned at Canberra Fire Station Sparks Urgent Response

Police are looking for dashcam footage after a a newborn baby was…
WA man jailed for stealing intimate material and using 'evil twin' WiFi networks

Cyber Trickery: Man Sentenced for Crafting Deceptive ‘Evil Twin’ WiFi Networks at Australian Airports

A 44-year-old man has been sentenced to prison for orchestrating a scheme…

Trump Criticizes Biden’s Vetting Process Following Tragic Death of National Guard Member in Washington Shooting

One of the two national guard members shot near the White House…

Trump Challenges Biden’s Autopen Executive Orders: A New Political Showdown Unfolds

In a recent statement, former President Donald Trump announced his intention to…
No one could escape these two words for weeks. Now Aussies are opting out

Aussies Opt Out of Viral Two-Word Craze Dominating Conversations for Weeks

Exclusive Insight: The phrase “Black Friday” has been ubiquitous, filling email inboxes…

Prime Minister Commends ‘Yes-alition’ as Environmental Reforms Secure Passage Before Parliament Adjourns for the Year

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has happily returned for an extra sitting day…
Lukas Schindler from Switzerland crossing the finish line at the Sydney marathon.

Heroic Swiss Tourist Identified After Bravely Attempting to Save Girlfriend from Shark Attack

A Swiss tourist who bravely attempted to ward off a shark during…