Share this @internewscast.com
A 48-hour ceasefire between Afghanistan and Pakistan took hold late Wednesday, officials on both sides said, after dozens of troops and civilians were killed in fresh cross-border skirmishes earlier in the day.
The truce began at 6pm Islamabad time (Thursday 12am AEDT), shortly after being announced by both countries, each asserting the other had requested it to end the surge in violence.
According to Pakistan, the ceasefire was expected to last 48 hours.

The Pakistani Ministry of Foreign Affairs has expressed a commitment to resolving ongoing tensions with Afghanistan, noting that both countries will earnestly engage in constructive dialogue to address the issue. “During this period, both sides will sincerely strive to find a positive solution to this complex but resolvable issue through constructive dialogue,” stated the ministry.

In Kabul, Afghanistan’s Taliban government said it had ordered the Afghan army to respect the truce, “unless it is violated” by the opposing side, a spokesman said on X.
The temporary ceasefire followed a week of violence between the two neighbours.
The Taliban had launched an offensive along parts of its southern border with Pakistan, prompting Islamabad to vow a strong response of its own.
Islamabad has accused Afghanistan of harbouring militant groups led by the Pakistani Taliban (TTP) on its soil, a claim Kabul denies.

The situation remains tense between the two nations, with reports of black smoke rising above Kabul following two explosions on Wednesday evening. This unsettling scene was described by AFP reporters who witnessed the aftermath.

Taliban government spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said an oil tanker and a generator had exploded, sparking fires, although he did not explicitly link the blasts to the clashes with Pakistan.
At least five people were killed and 35 wounded in Wednesday explosions in Kabul, an Italian NGO which runs a hospital in the Afghan capital said, before the truce entered into effect.
“We started receiving ambulances filled with wounded people, and we learned that there had been explosions a few kilometres away from our hospital,” Dejan Panic, EMERGENCY’s country director in Afghanistan, said in a statement.

In the wake of these blasts, ambulances hurried through the streets of Kabul, navigating around shattered glass from damaged buildings. The Taliban, meanwhile, took measures to secure the area, cordoning off certain sections of the city.

Adding to the turmoil, approximately 30 individuals were reportedly killed during overnight clashes along Pakistan’s northwest border, further escalating the situation.

Pakistan’s military earlier accused the Afghan Taliban of attacking two major border posts in the southwest and northwest.
It said both assaults were repelled, with about 20 Taliban fighters killed in attacks launched early Wednesday near Spin Boldak on the Afghan side of the frontier in southern Kandahar province.
“Unfortunately the attack was orchestrated through divided villages in the area, with no regard for the civil population,” the military said in a statement.

Amidst these developments, the children of Pakistani soldier Faisal Khan, who lost his life in intense skirmishes with Taliban security forces at the Pak-Afghan border in Chaman, attended his funeral in Kohat, Pakistan. The somber event underscored the human cost of the ongoing conflict.

Children of Pakistani soldier killed in clashes with Afghan Taliban security forces at their father's funeral

Children of Pakistani soldier Faisal Khan, who was killed in fierce fighting with Taliban security forces at Pak-Afghan border in Chaman, attend his funeral in Kohat, Pakistan. Source: AAP / Basit Gilani

The Afghan Taliban said 15 civilians were killed and dozens wounded in the clashes near Spin Boldak and that “two to three” of its fighters were also killed.

Taliban spokesman Mujahid said in an earlier statement that 100 civilians were also wounded around Spin Boldak, adding that calm had returned after Pakistani soldiers were killed and weapons seized.
Pakistan’s military said these were “outrageous and blatant lies”.
Pakistan did not give a toll for its losses in the latest clashes but said last week 23 of its troops had been killed in the opening skirmishes.

In a separate incident, a senior security official in Peshawar in Pakistan’s northwest said seven frontier troops died in an attack on a checkpoint.

The relatively new Ittehad-ul-Mujahideen armed group claimed responsibility.
The Taliban government said it had launched the offensive in “retaliation for air strikes carried out by the Pakistani army on Kabul”.
Islamabad then vowed a forceful response Sunday, and dozens of casualties were reported on both sides.
In Khost province, Afghan journalist Abdul Ghafoor Abid with state-run television RTA was killed Sunday by Pakistani fire while covering the cross-border fighting, a Taliban official said.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
A man wades through a flooded road carrying a cat in Colombo, Sri Lanka, Saturday, Nov, 29, 2025. (AP Photo/Eranga Jayawardena)

Devastating Sri Lanka Floods: Death Toll Climbs to 132 Amidst Mudslide Havoc

The death toll in Sri Lanka from Cyclone Ditwah’s devastating floods and…
The train station art was labelled 'AI slop'

Sydney Train Station Takes Down Controversial ‘AI Slop’ Mural Following Public Outcry

A mural at Sydney’s Redfern train station has been taken down after…
Dozens arrested in Port of Newcastle climate change protest

Mass Arrests at Port of Newcastle as Climate Activists Rally for Change

In a bold display of civil disobedience, climate change activists have once…

Nationwide Passport System Glitch Strands Thousands: What Travelers Need to Know Now

Travellers going through Australian airports were temporarily delayed on Sunday after a…

Southeast Asia Floods Claim Over 400 Lives as Recovery Efforts Commence

The death toll from devastating floods and landslides in Southeast Asia climbed…
The huge fireball reached up to 150 metres in height. It occurred after an industrial fire in North St Marys in Western Sydney.

Massive Industrial Inferno Rages in Western Sydney: Firefighters Brace for Days-Long Battle

In Sydney’s western region, an intense factory blaze saw around 200 firefighters…

From Private Messages to Wedding Bells: The Rabbitohs Love Story Behind Australia’s ‘Royal Wedding

Like many modern relationships, it started with a slide into DMs on…

Unlocking Australia’s Billion-Dollar Opportunity: The Untapped Export Ready to Skyrocket

When Eleanor Gray borrowed a Hello Kitty DVD from her local library…
Hanson addresses immigration rally in Melbourne

Breaking News: Hanson Speaks Out at Melbourne Rally – Unveiling Her Stance on Immigration

Pauline Hanson, the leader of One Nation, recently led an anti-immigration protest,…
Rugby league great Nathan Wood (right) has opened up on being diagnosed with Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE)

Football Star Courageously Shares Diagnosis of Severe Brain Disease with His Mother; Her Reaction is Profound

Former NRL athlete Nat Wood has courageously shared his struggle with thoughts…
President Nicolás Maduro of Venezuela greets his supporters during a rally to commemorate Indigenous Resistance Day on October 12, 2025 in Caracas, Venezuela.

Trump Urges Caution: Advises Treating Venezuelan Airspace as Off-Limits

President Donald Trump on Saturday said that the airspace “above and surrounding”…
Melburnians flocked to the newly opened Melbourne Metro Tunnel today.

Melbourne Metro Tunnel Opens After Years of Delays: Navigating Initial Challenges for Commuters

This morning marked the debut of Melbourne’s Metro Tunnel to commuters, although…