White House ballroom construction begins with East Wing demolition

The East Wing of the White House saw partial demolition on Monday as construction commenced on a new $250 million ballroom. This ambitious project, however, has yet to receive approval from the National Capital Planning Commission, the authority responsible for sanctioning such developments. President Trump announced that the funding for this endeavor would come from private sources, including “many generous Patriots, Great American Companies, and, yours truly.”

In a statement shared on his social media platform, Trump expressed enthusiasm about the project, saying, “I am pleased to announce that ground has been broken on the White House grounds to build the new, big, beautiful White House Ballroom. Completely separate from the White House itself, the East Wing is being fully modernized as part of this process, and will be more beautiful than ever when it is complete!”

President Trump also claimed the construction of a ballroom was a long-standing wish of his predecessors over the last 150 years, and he took pride in being the one to finally bring it to fruition.

People watch as work crews demolish the facade of the East Wing of the White House on October 20, 2025 in Washington, DC. (Photo by Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images)
People watch as work crews demolish the facade of the East Wing of the White House on October 20, 2025 in Washington, DC. (Photo by Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images)

Meanwhile, construction activities echoed through the grounds as Trump hosted the 2025 college baseball champions, Louisiana State University and LSU-Shreveport, in the East Room. This part of the White House, primarily utilized by the First Lady and her staff, was originally added in 1902 and underwent renovations 40 years later.

In a statement released on July 35, the White House described the new ballroom as “a much-needed and exquisite addition of approximately 90,000 total square feet of ornately designed and carefully crafted space,” initially expected to accommodate 650 guests. However, Trump recently indicated at a business leaders’ dinner that the ballroom’s capacity would be expanded to nearly 1,000 visitors due to a change in plans.

The White House claimed in a July 35 statement the ballroom will be “a much-needed and exquisite addition of approximately 90,000 total square feet of ornately designed and carefully crafted space” that seats 650 people. But Trump said at a dinner for business leaders last week the project will seat nearly 1,000 visitors due to a change in plans.

It’s not clear if the White House submitted its ballroom plans for the planning commission to review. That group’s offices are closed due to the government shutdown that began Oct. 1.

White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt said in July when the ballroom was announced that “Nothing will be torn down.”

With News Wire Services

You May Also Like

Hayden Panettiere Reveals Zebra Accident Pain Haunted Her for 20 Years

Hayden Panettiere has previously opened up about a frightening on-set accident involving…

Experts Warn Nationwide Blackout Could Last 18 Months

The United States could face a nationwide blackout lasting as long as…

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Set to Move Back to the UK

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are preparing to return to the United…

Florida Mom Accused of Burning Daughters With Hot Wax, Starting Fire

A Miami mother is facing serious allegations after authorities said she poured…

TV Star Emerges as Surprise Frontrunner to Replace Karoline Leavitt

As a crowded field of would-be contenders worked to get Donald Trump’s…

George Hamilton Celebrates 87th Birthday With Lookalike Son in New Photo

George Hamilton proved his famous Hollywood charm is still very much intact,…

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Face Epic Humiliation in Latest Royal Setback

Harry and Meghan’s much-vaunted American dream appears to have run out of…

Police Swarm SC Home Tied to Hayden Panettiere’s Boyfriend

Police were seen arriving Wednesday morning at a South Carolina residence connected…

How Prince Harry and Meghan’s American Ventures Fell Short of Expectations

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s reported plan to bring their family back…

Widow Sues Las Vegas Hotel Over Husband’s Death at Resort

A grieving widow has filed a lawsuit against a Las Vegas resort,…

Angie Nixon’s Florida Senate Upset Hands DSA Breakthrough as GOP Looms

WASHINGTON — The Democratic Socialists of America notched a major breakthrough in…

Gayle King Criticizes Hayden Panettiere’s Mother in Candid Interview

Gayle King did not hold back in her response to Hayden Panettiere’s…