Trump says he's ending trade talks with Canada over TV ads


Trump Halts Trade Negotiations with Canada in Response to Television Advertisements

In a striking development on Thursday evening, President Donald Trump declared an end to “all trade negotiations” with Canada, citing a controversial television advertisement as the catalyst. The ad, which Trump claims misrepresented U.S. tariffs, was described by him as an “egregious behavior” intended to sway American judicial decisions.

This announcement followed remarks by Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney, who expressed his intention to bolster Canada’s exports beyond the U.S. market, a move prompted by the perceived threat of Trump’s tariffs. The President’s decision to halt negotiations is likely to exacerbate the already strained trade relations between the two neighboring countries.

Trump’s social media post highlighted his grievances: “The Ronald Reagan Foundation has just announced that Canada has fraudulently used an advertisement, which is FAKE, featuring Ronald Reagan speaking negatively about Tariffs.” He further asserted that the $75,000 ad aimed to influence U.S. Supreme Court decisions and other judicial outcomes.

Trump emphasized the importance of tariffs for the United States’ national security and economic well-being, declaring, “Based on their egregious behavior, ALL TRADE NEGOTIATIONS WITH CANADA ARE HEREBY TERMINATED.”

Canada’s Prime Minister’s office was not immediately available for comments. As tensions rise, Carney was scheduled to depart for a summit in Asia on Friday morning, with Trump planning to follow suit later that evening.

Carney’s office didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment. The prime minister was set to leave Friday morning for a summit in Asia, while Trump is set to do the same Friday evening.

Earlier Thursday night, the Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation and Institute posted on X that an ad created by the government of Ontario “misrepresents the ‘Presidential Radio Address to the Nation on Free and Fair Trade’ dated April 25, 1987.” It added that Ontario did not receive foundation permission “to use and edit the remarks.”

The foundation said it is “reviewing legal options in this matter” and invited the public to watch the unedited video of Reagan’s address.

Carney met with Trump earlier this month to try to ease trade tensions, as the two countries and Mexico prepare for a review of the U.S.-Mexico-Canada Agreement — a trade deal Trump negotiated in his first term, but has since soured on.

More than three-quarters of Canadian exports go to the U.S., and nearly $3.6 billion Canadian (US$2.7 billion) worth of goods and services cross the border daily.

Trump said earlier this week that he had seen the ad on television and said that it showed that his tariffs were having an impact.

“I saw an ad last night from Canada. If I was Canada, I’d take that same ad also,” he said then.

In his own post on X last week, Doug Ford, the premier of Ontario, posted a link to the ad and the message: “It’s official: Ontario’s new advertising campaign in the U.S. has launched.”

He continued, “Using every tool we have, we’ll never stop making the case against American tariffs on Canada. The way to prosperity is by working together.”

A spokesperson for Ford didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment Thursday night. But Ford previously got Trump’s attention with an electricity surcharge to U.S. states. Trump responded by doubling steel and aluminum tariffs.

The president has moved to impose steep U.S. tariffs on many goods from Canada. In April, Canada’s government imposed retaliatory levies on certain U.S. goods — but it carved out exemptions for some automakers to bring specific numbers of vehicles into the country, known as remission quotas.

Trump’s tariffs have especially hurt Canada’s auto sector, much of which is based in Ontario. This month, Stellantis said it would move a production line from Ontario to Illinois

Associated Press Writer Rob Gillies in Toronto, Ontario, contributed to this report.

Copyright 2025 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.     

You May Also Like

HHS warns Texas hospitals against denying life-saving care to newborn with disability

Parents Demand Six-Figure Payment From Surrogate Who Refused Abortion After Baby’s Heart Diagnosis: Report

The biological parents of a baby born through surrogacy are pursuing more…
Penn State Frat Member Tasered After Mistaking Cocaine Bust for Prank - Internewscast Journal

Penn State Frat Member Tasered After Mistaking Cocaine Bust for Prank

A Penn State student accused of playing a major role in an…
3 Injured in Humboldt Park Drive-By Shooting on Hirsch Street, Chicago Police Say - Internewscast Journal

3 Injured in Humboldt Park Drive-By Shooting on Hirsch Street, Chicago Police Say

CHICAGO () — Three people were wounded Wednesday afternoon when gunfire erupted…
Derek Chauvin Challenges Floyd Murder Conviction as Unlawful - Internewscast Journal

Derek Chauvin Challenges Floyd Murder Conviction as Unlawful

Judge approves new lawyer for Bryan Kohberger in Idaho murder trial A…
Karmelo Anthony Defense Targets Judge Over Murder Verdict Comment - Internewscast Journal

Karmelo Anthony Defense Targets Judge Over Murder Verdict Comment

A Texas judge is set to hear arguments Wednesday on whether the…
LA County releases claim about number of Hollywood jobs to go under Paramount-Warner Bros. merger

LA County Estimates Hollywood Job Loss in Paramount-Warner Merger

More than 10,000 jobs could be at risk if the proposed Paramount…
Lindsay Clancy Attorney Rips Tone-Deaf Prosecutors in Case - Internewscast Journal

Lindsay Clancy Attorney Rips Tone-Deaf Prosecutors in Case

If you or someone you know is experiencing suicidal thoughts, contact the…
Pastor and wife spread Gospel nationwide before abuse case exposed disturbing reality

Pastor Couple’s Nationwide Gospel Tour Unravels After Abuse Case

A Tennessee pastor who spent years traveling across the country for his…
Minneapolis Police Probe Third Body in Three-Day Death String - Internewscast Journal

Minneapolis Police Probe Third Body in Three-Day Death String

Authorities in Minneapolis are investigating a series of body recoveries across the…
Judge Weighs New Trial for Karmelo Anthony After Legal Win - Internewscast Journal

Judge Weighs New Trial for Karmelo Anthony After Legal Win

A Texas judge is set to weigh on Thursday whether teenager Karmelo…
Karmelo Anthony Scores Legal Victory as Trial Judge Is Removed From Appeal - Internewscast Journal

Karmelo Anthony Scores Legal Victory as Trial Judge Is Removed From Appeal

Karmelo Anthony, who was previously convicted in the murder of 17-year-old Austin…
Karmelo Anthony Wins Major Legal Victory as Judge Is Removed From Murder Case - Internewscast Journal

Karmelo Anthony Wins Major Legal Victory as Judge Is Removed From Murder Case

Karmelo Anthony’s defense team won a significant ruling Wednesday when a senior…