Hearing to probe whether Grace Tame's abuser is fit to face harassment allegations
Share this @internewscast.com

The individual convicted of sexually abusing Grace Tame, a former Australian of the Year, is set to undergo a hearing to assess his capability to respond to harassment charges.

In March 2023, Nicolaas Ockert Bester entered a plea of not guilty to three charges related to using a communication service to intimidate, harass, or offend.

The allegations suggest that the former educator posted comments on social media targeting Tame, now aged 30, during April, July, and August of 2022.

2021 Australian of the Year Grace Tame during the 2021 Australian of the Year Awards ceremony at the National Arboretum in Canberra on Monday 25 January 2021. fedpol Photo: Alex Ellinghausen (Sydney Morning Herald)

Bester, currently 73, was absent from a brief session at Hobart Magistrates Court today concerning the case.

Magistrate Andrew McKee has scheduled the hearing for February 2.

The proceedings are anticipated to last all day.

Bester’s lawyer Todd Kovacic confirmed to AAP the hearing was about his client’s fitness to face the substantive allegations and will determine “what happens next” in the matter.

Kovacic, who appeared in court by telephone, said it was the plan for Bester to appear in person for February’s hearing.

An application for a professor to give evidence via video link at the hearing was granted.

Nicolaas Ockert Bester departs the Hobart Magistrates Court
Nicolaas Bester faced Hobart Magistrates Court in 2023 for allegedly harassing Tame via social media. (AAP Image/Ethan James)

The case against Bester has been plagued by delays since he was charged in 2022.

Kovacic has previously told the court Bester had been diagnosed with vascular dementia and his fitness to face a hearing was a live issue.

Bester was convicted and sentenced in 2011 to two years and 10 months in jail for abusing Tame when she was a student at his school and for possessing child exploitation material.

He served one year and nine months.

Tame, who has attended court on previous occasions, was the 2021 Australian of the Year and has advocated for abuse survivors.

Help is available from the Men’s Referral Service on 1300 766 491.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

ASIO: No Passport Bans for Women Allegedly Linked to IS, Confirms Burke

Australian authorities are grappling with the dilemma of whether to allow the…
Chris Baghsarian has been missing for more than a week.

Police Intensify Investigation into Burnt-Out Car in Urgent Search for Missing Grandfather

Police believe a car torched in Sydney‘s west earlier this week is…

Donald Trump Elevates Global Tariffs to 15% Maximum, Marking Temporary Increase

In a surprising twist, President Donald Trump announced his decision to increase…

Police Sergeant Faces Double Drink-Driving Allegations in Single Day

An off-duty police officer has been charged after allegedly being caught drink…
Wellington Phoenix goalie Josh Oluwayemi (bottom right) has gone viral after he made a mind-boggling mistake in his side's 5-0 loss to Auckland on Saturday

Aussie Footballer’s Unforgettable Mistake Sparks Coach’s Sudden Resignation

Footballer Josh Oluwayemi has captured attention for a blunder that contributed significantly…
U.S. Army soldiers exit a Black Hawk at the Truckee Tahoe Airport in Truckee, Calif., Saturday, Feb. 21, 2026, after aiding in recovery efforts for a group of skiers who went missing during a deadly avalanche. (AP Photo/Godofredo A. Vásquez)

Tragic Discovery: Bodies of 9 Backcountry Skiers Recovered After California Avalanche

Nine backcountry skiers tragically lost their lives in an avalanche near California’s…
Haroula Kipouridou was working as a singer at a Greek tavern at the time of her murder.

Unveiling Justice: $1 Million Reward Offered in Chilling Cold Case Murder Investigation

A rare $1 million reward is being offered to help solve the…
NSW farmer and butcher Bianca Tarrant said the tariffs had a flow-on effect for producers.

Aussie Farmers Brace for Impact: US Tariff Shifts Spark Concerns Down Under

Farmers and producers across Australia are on edge after Donald Trump said…

Burke Announces Initiation of Procedures to Proscribe Islamist Organization Hizb ut-Tahrir

In brief Burke said his department had received advice from ASIO that…

From Pilot to Disgraced Figure: The Transformation of Former Prince Andrew

In Brief Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was arrested on Thursday after police previously said…
At the end of a work day, commuters ride a metro train traveling from Flinders Street Station to points outside the city center of Melbourne, Australia

Majority of Nine.com.au Audience Achieves 2026 Goal Ahead of Schedule: Discover Their Secrets!

Exclusive Insight: A worrying trend is emerging in Australia as reading rates…
President Donald Trump speaks during a press briefing at the White House on Friday, February 20 in Washington.

Trump to Boost Tariffs to 15% Following Game-Changing Supreme Court Decision

President Donald Trump said on Saturday that he wants a global tariff…