Share this @internewscast.com
Former French president Nicolas Sarkozy has been freed after a Paris court ruled he could be released while he appeals against his conviction for conspiring to raise funds from Libya.
Sarkozy was sent to prison on 21 October after he was found guilty in September of criminal conspiracy over efforts by close aides to procure funds for his 2007 presidential bid from late Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi.
The former conservative leader, who was president from 2007 to 2012, told the court that being in jail had been tough.

Upon his return home on Monday, he took to X to express that “truth will eventually triumph,” underscoring a life lesson he holds dear.

He mentioned that his attention would now shift to the appeals process, noting that “the conclusion to this narrative is yet to be determined.”

Sarkozy’s five-year prison sentence was implemented without delay, due to what judges described in September as the “exceptional gravity” of his offense. His confinement at La Sante prison in Paris marked a dramatic downfall for the former French president.

The court said he did not represent a flight risk and therefore did not have to remain in prison until his appeal.
His release was based on specific criteria, such as whether there was a risk he could flee, and is no indication of whether his appeal is likely to succeed.
“Vive la liberte” (Long live freedom), Sarkozy’s youngest son, Louis, posted on his X account with a childhood photo of himself smiling alongside his father.

Tune in to explore

But the public prosecutor on Monday recommended that Sarkozy be freed pending his appeal of the guilty verdict.

The court agreed to release him under judicial supervision, which includes a ban on leaving France and a ban on talking to any justice ministry official.

Prison is draining, Sarkozy says

Sarkozy has consistently denied wrongdoing, calling himself a victim of revenge and hatred. He did not attend Monday’s hearing in person but was taking part via video link from prison.
He told the court he would respect any demand from the judiciary if he were freed.
“I’m French, sir. I love my country. I’m fighting for the truth to prevail. I will comply with all the obligations imposed on me, as I always have,” he said.

Speaking of being in jail, he added: “It’s tough. Really tough — as it must be for any detainee. I’d even say it’s draining.”

Sarkozy has faced several legal battles since leaving office.
Last year, France’s highest court upheld a conviction for corruption and influence peddling, ordering him to wear an electronic tag for a year, a first for a former French head of state. The tag has now been removed.
Also last year, an appeals court confirmed a separate conviction for illegal campaign financing over his failed re-election bid in 2012. A final ruling from France’s highest court is expected on that case this month.
Sarkozy is also under formal investigation in another case for being an accessory to witness tampering.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Tragic Outcomes From Dual Mental Health Facility Escapes Spur Call for ‘Urgent’ Reform

IN BRIEF Advocates say the mental health system is too focused on…
Gallipoli Barracks, Brisbane

Shocking Incident at Brisbane Military Base: Woman Arrested for Stabbing Man

A crime scene has been declared at Gallipoli Barracks after a man…

Former Prince Andrew Released from Police Custody Following Arrest

In Brief Former prince Andrew was arrested on suspicion of misconduct in…
Victims were led to believe they were purchasing cryptocurrency, shares, or other legitimate investment products.

Sydney Man Exposed: The $5 Million Scam That Shocked Australia

Elderly and vulnerable victims were usually contacted on social media and encouraged…

Breaking: US Supreme Court Overturns Trump’s Controversial Global Tariffs – What This Means for International Trade

Key Points In a 6-3 decision, the justices ruled that the law…
'No justice': Hit-run victim's family slam punishment

Outrage Over Lenient Sentence: Hit-and-Run Victim’s Family Demands Justice

WARNING: This article contains the names of deceased Indigenous people. The family…

UN Unveils Disturbing Evidence: Genocidal Atrocities Surface in Sudan

In brief The mission warned that “urgent protection of civilians is needed,…
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office

UK Government Weighs Historic Decision: Potential Removal of Former Prince from Royal Succession

Despite recent controversy, Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor remains the eighth person in line to…
Prince Andrew arrives for the funeral of the Duchess of Kent at Westminster Cathedral in London, Tuesday, Sept. 16, 2025.

Ancient Law Resurfaces: The Legal Twist that Threatens Prince Andrew with a Life Sentence

However, the charge he was arrested on suspicion of, misconduct in public…
Someone holding a handful of Australian cash.

Massive Cash Boost: Over 5 Million Australians Set to Benefit Soon!

More than five million Australians receiving social security payments, half of whom…
Blood test pathologist blood sample

Revolutionary Blood Test Offers Insight into Alzheimer’s Onset Timing

A new blood test could be able to clock when someone may…
The death of Ruben Ray Martinez, 23, would mark the earliest of at least six deadly shootings by federal officers since the start of a nationwide immigration crackdown in President Donald Trump's second term.

Shocking Incident: Texas Man Fatally Shot by Federal Immigration Agent – Uncover the Full Story

Newly released records show a US citizen was shot and killed in…