Share this @internewscast.com
Key Points
  • Defence secretary Pete Hegseth said the US has “only just begun” targeting alleged drug-trafficking vessels.
  • The US military has been accused of war crimes after an earlier attack included a second strike on a disabled boat.
  • The White House distanced Hegseth from the re-strike decision, placing responsibility on admiral Frank Bradley.
The United States has “only just begun” targeting alleged drug-trafficking boats, defence secretary Pete Hegseth insisted, despite a growing outcry over strikes that critics say amount to extrajudicial killings.
Hegseth and President Donald Trump’s administration have come under fire, particularly over an incident in which US forces launched a follow-up strike on the wreckage of a vessel that had already been hit, reportedly killing two survivors.

The White House and the Pentagon are taking steps to distance themselves from the controversial military decision that some U.S. politicians argue might qualify as a war crime. Instead, they are attributing responsibility to the admiral who was in direct command of the operation.

“We’ve only just begun striking narco boats and putting narco-terrorists at the bottom of the ocean, because they’ve been poisoning the American people,” Hegseth said during a Tuesday cabinet meeting.
“We’ve had a bit of a pause because it’s hard to find boats to strike right now — which is the entire point, right? Deterrence has to matter,” Hegseth said.

The Pentagon chief defended the actions taken, saying he observed the first strike but did not personally witness any survivors. He justified the subsequent attack, asserting that sinking the boat was the right decision to eliminate a potential threat.

Trump’s administration insists it is effectively at war with alleged “narco-terrorists” and began carrying out strikes in early September on vessels it says were transporting drugs — a campaign that has so far killed 83 people. They have failed to provide evidence of drug trafficking allegations.
The UN high commissioner for human rights, Volker Turk, said the strikes “violate international human rights law” and must stop immediately.
Earlier on Tuesday, Pentagon press secretary Kingsley Wilson insisted that the strikes were legal.

During a news conference, it was emphasized that the operations were conducted lawfully, adhering to both U.S. and international regulations, and were compliant with the laws governing armed conflict.

Wilson also repeated the White House’s assertion that admiral Frank Bradley — who now leads US Special Operations Command — made “the decision to re-strike the narco-terrorist vessel,” saying the senior navy officer was “operating under clear and long-standing authorities to ensure the boat was destroyed”.
“Any follow-on strikes like those which were directed by admiral Bradley, the secretary 100 per cent agrees with,” she added.

Wilson spoke to a friendly audience, with dozens of journalists who refused to sign a new restrictive Pentagon media policy earlier in the year barred from the event.

The follow-up strike that killed survivors took place on 2 September and would appear to run afoul of the Pentagon’s own Law of War manual, which states that “orders to fire upon the shipwrecked would be clearly illegal.”

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

From Dough to Dream Home: Pizza Chefs Overcome Challenges to Buy First House

Every day at Boss Pizzeria, a bustling Italian eatery in Melbourne’s eastern…
The ute reversed before ramming into the gates of the Brisbane Synagogue, with the incident being captured on CCTV.

Police Clarify Synagogue Gate Ramming Incident: No Terrorism Involved, Investigation Ongoing

Authorities have clarified that last night’s incident involving a vehicle crashing into…
Victims were led to believe they were purchasing cryptocurrency, shares, or other legitimate investment products.

Sydney Man Exposed: The $5 Million Scam That Shocked Australia

Elderly and vulnerable victims were usually contacted on social media and encouraged…
At the end of a work day, commuters ride a metro train traveling from Flinders Street Station to points outside the city center of Melbourne, Australia

Majority of Nine.com.au Audience Achieves 2026 Goal Ahead of Schedule: Discover Their Secrets!

Exclusive Insight: A worrying trend is emerging in Australia as reading rates…
Melonie Mckay was run over in her own driveway after allegedly getting into an argument with her neighbour.

Grandmother’s Tragic Death: Man Faces Murder Charges in Alleged Hit-and-Run

A man has been charged with murder after allegedly running over his…
NSW farmer and butcher Bianca Tarrant said the tariffs had a flow-on effect for producers.

Aussie Farmers Brace for Impact: US Tariff Shifts Spark Concerns Down Under

Farmers and producers across Australia are on edge after Donald Trump said…

Melbourne Teen Succumbs to Injuries a Week After Tragic Vehicle Collision

An air ambulance team and a mobile intensive care unit equipped with…
Chris Baghsarian has been missing for more than a week.

Police Intensify Investigation into Burnt-Out Car in Urgent Search for Missing Grandfather

Police believe a car torched in Sydney‘s west earlier this week is…

Unlocking the Migration Debate: Five Insightful Charts Reveal the Optimal ‘Sweet Spot

In the wake of the recent Bondi terror incident and the ongoing…
Six orcas were filmed viciously killing a great white shark off South Australia's Neptune Islands in 2015.

Groundbreaking Study Reveals True Reasons Behind Shark Exodus from Australian Islands

After six orcas were filmed viciously killing a great white shark off…

From Pilot to Disgraced Figure: The Transformation of Former Prince Andrew

In Brief Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was arrested on Thursday after police previously said…
President Donald Trump speaks during a press briefing at the White House on Friday, February 20 in Washington.

Trump to Boost Tariffs to 15% Following Game-Changing Supreme Court Decision

President Donald Trump said on Saturday that he wants a global tariff…