Skelton Brothers: Michigan Dad Appears in Court to Face Murder Charges 15 Years After Boys Vanished

On Wednesday, a Michigan court will see the father of three boys, who were officially declared deceased earlier this year, facing charges of murder.

Last month, John Skelton was indicted for murder just before his scheduled release from a 15-year prison term for the unlawful imprisonment of his sons: 9-year-old Andrew, 7-year-old Alexander, and 5-year-old Tanner, according to CrimeOnline. His bond was set at a staggering $60 million.

The children were last seen playing in their father’s backyard on November 26, 2010. At the time, Skelton and Tanya Zuvers, the boys’ mother, were amid a divorce. Although Zuvers had sole custody, she permitted the children to spend Thanksgiving with their father.

Michigan Father Faces Court on Murder Charges 15 Years After Skelton Brothers Disappeared
John Skelton/Lenawee County Jail

Zuvers alerted authorities when Skelton failed to bring the boys back. Police later located him at a hospital where he claimed a broken ankle resulted from a suicide attempt. Skelton provided inconsistent stories about his sons’ whereabouts, ranging from giving them to a mysterious woman to entrusting them to a secretive group for protection. None of these stories were verified.

Phone records traced Skelton’s movements into Ohio the day following the last sighting of the boys. His phone was briefly active there before being shut off and was later detected back at his residence over two hours after he had left.

Despite exhaustive efforts by investigators, the boys remain missing. Earlier this year, following a petition from their mother, a judge officially declared them deceased.

“At the end of the day, one person is responsible for the disappearance of my sons,” Zuvers said at the time. “That person, at one point, claimed the boys would hibernate until they graduate. As of today, June 14, 2024, all 3 boys are over 18, and all would have graduated high school, yet they have not been returned to me and are still missing.”

In addition to three counts of murder murder, Skelton is charged with evidence tampering. He appears Wednesday for a probable cause hearing, WJBK said.

You May Also Like

Dad Refused 911 After Allegedly Pinching Baby’s Nose: Cops

Celia Colby (Larkin Funeral Home). A Utah father has been accused in…

Police: Husband Drove Across Several States With Dead Wife Propped in Passenger Seat Before Traffic Stop

Left inset: Tyronne Brazille (Shelby County Sheriff’s Office). Right inset: Lanessa Bradford…

Hawthorne Police Arrest Probationer in Stolen Car Case

Staff report HAWTHORNE, Fla. – A 37-year-old man with a recent probation…

Man Killed Ex’s Siblings, Partners as They Slept: DA

Clockwise from top left: Janvi Maquindang, Christine Aca-ac, Matthew Montebello, and Edwin…

Walmart Worker Accused of Summoning Armed Friends After Shopper’s ‘Glare,’ Sparking Checkout Shooting: Lawsuit

Left inset: Roberto Acevedo (Miami-Dade County Corrections and Rehabilitation). Center inset: Surveillance…

Boy on Push Scooter Hit by Pickup and Left on Burning Asphalt as Mom Heard Screams, Family Says

Left inset: Ethan Turner (KSAZ/YouTube). Right inset: Glenn Noordhof (Pinal County Sheriff’s…

Gainesville Man Arrested After Prison Release in Relative Attack

Staff report GAINESVILLE, Fla. – A 54-year-old man who had been released…

Revenge Shooting Kills Innocent Driver in Mistaken Attack

Insets, from left: Franklin Radell Smoak Jr. and Terrance Fields. Background: The…