Planned burn gets out of control in St. Johns County, prompting large response

A New Year’s Day controlled burn in St. Johns County took an alarming turn when it spread beyond its intended boundaries. Although firefighters were able to contain the blaze by late afternoon, it had already expanded to cover 15 acres.

Firefighting crews in St. Johns County sprang into action on the first day of the year, responding to a brush fire that had unexpectedly grown out of control. The incident occurred in the western part of the county, specifically in the 1700 block of County Road 13A North.

Upon arrival, firefighters encountered flames that had spread into nearby wooded areas. In response, the Florida Forest Service and the St. Augustine Fire Department joined forces with local crews to establish a new perimeter to contain the fire.

The situation was brought under control by around 4:30 p.m., though not before the fire had stretched across 15 acres. Firefighters planned to keep a close watch on the area throughout the evening to ensure it remained contained.

Chris Naff, a spokesperson for St. Johns County Fire Rescue, reassured the public in a statement to First Coast News on Thursday afternoon. He confirmed that no homes were threatened, no injuries were reported, and there was no need for evacuations.

Controlled Burn in St. Johns County Sparks Unexpected Emergency Response
Controlled Burn in St. Johns County Sparks Unexpected Emergency Response

St. Johns County Fire Rescue spokesperson Chris Naff told First Coast News late Thursday afternoon that no homes were at risk, no injuries were reported, and no evacuations were called. 

Naff said the fire appeared to be caused by a New Year’s Eve burn from the owners of the property. Although they may have thought they put it out, an ember appeared to have gotten loose and spread due to the ongoing dry conditions.

Earlier in the containment process, people in St. Augustine may have noticed the smoke due to east-blowing winds. Fire Rescue said smoke will remain in the area overnight and advised drivers to use caution if traveling in the area. 

There is concern that wind could blow embers to other areas and start new fires.

“We’re going to continue to have these winds for the next couple of days, so we’re just asking residents to be vigilant, make sure everything is fully extinguished. Even go a little bit further, make sure you have a hose running on it for a while,” Naff said.

You May Also Like

Lindsay Clancy Trial: Psychosis Searches Before Kids’ Deaths - Internewscast Journal

Lindsay Clancy Trial: Psychosis Searches Before Kids’ Deaths

PLYMOUTH, Mass. — In the weeks before Lindsay Clancy strangled her three…
House Ethics Committee Probes Rep. Jimmy Gomez Over Sexual Misconduct Allegations - Internewscast Journal

House Ethics Committee Probes Rep. Jimmy Gomez Over Sexual Misconduct Allegations

Washington — The House Ethics Committee said Monday that it is formally…
Woman Injured in Alaska Trail Bear Attack Fights Off Animal With Spray - Internewscast Journal

Woman Injured in Alaska Trail Bear Attack Fights Off Animal With Spray

A runner was injured in a bear attack on a well-used Alaska…
Knife-Wielding NYC Man Shot Dead by Police After Dad Slashed - Internewscast Journal

Knife-Wielding NYC Man Shot Dead by Police After Dad Slashed

Police shot and killed a man Sunday afternoon after he allegedly slashed…
ICE Boston Arrests Brazilian National Wanted for Murder Days Before Gov. Healey Signs Protect Act - Internewscast Journal

ICE Boston Arrests Brazilian National Wanted for Murder Days Before Gov. Healey Signs Protect Act

Tom Homan slams calls to abolish ICE as border enforcement hits records…
Lala Regains Tropical Storm Strength, Lashing Hawaii With High Winds and Heavy Rain Without Landfall - Internewscast Journal

Lala Regains Tropical Storm Strength, Lashing Hawaii With High Winds and Heavy Rain Without Landfall

Hurricane Lala weakened into a tropical storm on Sunday after skirting Hawaii…
Suffolk County Quietly Approves $4M Gunshot Detector Deal With Controversial Surveillance Firm - Internewscast Journal

Suffolk County Quietly Approves $4M Gunshot Detector Deal With Controversial Surveillance Firm

Suffolk County has quietly approved a five-year contract worth nearly $4 million…
Man With 7 Prior Convictions Arrested 3 Times in 12 Days Over Alleged Attacks on Women - Internewscast Journal

Man With 7 Prior Convictions Arrested 3 Times in 12 Days Over Alleged Attacks on Women

An Oklahoma man has been taken into custody three times in less…
Melania Trump Helps 34th Ukrainian Child Reunite With Family - Internewscast Journal

Melania Trump Helps 34th Ukrainian Child Reunite With Family

WASHINGTON – Melania Trump has helped bring another Ukrainian child back to…
California Farmer Loses Court Fight With Fruit Giant Giumarra - Internewscast Journal

California Farmer Loses Court Fight With Fruit Giant Giumarra

A California farmer who drew nationwide attention for giving away thousands of…
Luigi Mangione’s NYC Murder Trial Delayed After Plea Twist - Internewscast Journal

Luigi Mangione’s NYC Murder Trial Delayed After Plea Twist

Luigi Mangione’s state murder trial will not move forward next month as…
Chicago Storm Recovery: South Suburbs Seek Aid, Outages Continue - Internewscast Journal

Chicago Storm Recovery: South Suburbs Seek Aid, Outages Continue

CHICAGO () — At least seven people have died in storm-related incidents…