Chicago Storm Recovery: South Suburbs Seek Aid, Outages Continue - Internewscast Journal
Chicago Storm Recovery: South Suburbs Seek Aid, Outages Continue

CHICAGO () — At least seven people have died in storm-related incidents across Indiana as of Sunday, while crews continue working to restore power in northwest Indiana after last week’s severe storms and flooding.

Across the Chicago area, many residents are still cleaning up and assessing damage, including in Lansing, Illinois, where the impact of the severe weather remains visible.

Three of the Indiana deaths connected to the storms occurred in the Chicago area, including Lake, Porter and LaPorte counties. The remaining fatalities were reported in other parts of the state.

Indiana was drenched by historic rainfall, with several rivers rising rapidly and spilling over their banks.

In northwest Indiana, close to 150,000 customers remained without electricity Sunday afternoon as utility crews pressed on with power restoration efforts.

Indiana Gov. Mike Braun declared a statewide disaster emergency on Friday. A day later, President Donald Trump approved Braun’s request for a Presidential Emergency Declaration.

On Saturday evening, FEMA said “federal disaster assistance is available to the state of Indiana to supplement state, tribal and local response efforts due to the emergency conditions resulting from severe storms, straight-line winds, tornadoes and flooding beginning on August 11, 2026, and continuing.”

Less than a week after tornadoes and dangerous storms swept through the Southland, elected officials, residents and community leaders gathered in Lansing to urge federal support. They said communities battered by the storm damage cannot recover without outside help. The appeal comes as neighboring Indiana has already received federal disaster assistance, while Illinois continues to move through the approval process.

Standing alongside fellow Southland mayors, Lansing Mayor Brian Hardy described widespread destruction across his community.

“I don’t care what block you go down. You’re going to see destruction,” Hardy said.

Hardy said residents are dealing with damaged homes, infrastructure and extensive debris following multiple rounds of severe weather.

“You’re going to see trees and homes uprooted, trees, sidewalks, streets, curbs, infrastructure that’s damaged,” he said.

Hardy’s message to federal officials was brief and direct: “We need help.”
Residents say the latest storms hit before many families had fully recovered from a July tornado. Lansing resident Lisa Sullivan said additional resources are urgently needed.

“We need the help. We need it now. We need them boots on the ground,” Sullivan said. “We’re asking, regardless of whatever political party you are affiliated with, for them to all show up and to support the community.”

The storm’s effects stretch beyond Lansing.

In Flossmoor, clean-up efforts remain underway after another round of severe weather struck a community already dealing with storm damage from previous storms.

Mayor Michelle Nelson said recovery continues to be a challenge despite assistance from neighboring communities and agencies.

“Progress is incredibly slow. The damage is so great and the vegetation is so dense that we need more help and we need it now. We can’t wait,” Nelson said.

At Sunday’s news conference, Cook County Commissioner Donna Miller said disaster aid should not be treated as a political issue.

“Disaster assistance is not a favor from the president. It’s not a political reward. It’s a commitment that our federal government makes to every American in a time of need,” Miller said.

Miller also said Southland communities cannot shoulder recovery costs alone and called on federal officials to evaluate damage in the region.

“We are in need here in the Southland,” she said.

U.S. Rep. Robin Kelly, who represents Illinois’ 2nd Congressional District and said she was personally affected by the storms, echoed those calls.

“People need help and that’s how we need to look at it, not which state you live in or how you vote,” Kelly said.

Kelly said local communities have worked together throughout the recovery process, with municipalities sharing resources and personnel to assist one another.

At the same time local officials are seeking outside assistance, communities across the Southland are organizing their own relief efforts.

In Lynwood, the village hosted a food truck event offering free meals to residents affected by the storms.

Mayor Jada Curry said the gathering was designed to bring neighbors together after a difficult and emotional week.

“Most of my residents haven’t seen anything like this ever before, and they hope to never see it again,” Curry said. “And so we want to make sure that they know are loved, that we’re thinking of them, that we’re providing resource to them.”

Officials said the event also served as an opportunity for residents to connect with one another and access support as recovery continues.

South suburban leaders said they will continue pushing for federal assistance, arguing communities on both sides of the Illinois-Indiana border experienced significant storm damage and should have access to available recovery resources.

ABC7 Chicago reached out to the White House for comment but had not received a response as of Sunday evening.

RELATED | Track power outages in your area with the ABC7 Chicago Power Outage Tracker

Meanwhile, a homeowner in Crown Point, Indiana, is demanding answers from NIPSCO after claiming a dangerous power line was left hanging in standing water for days since last week’s severe storms.

Dinno Jahovic says the hazard on Wells Street was first reported to NIPSCO on Tuesday. He says he made additional calls Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, but that no one showed up to fix it.

Overnight Saturday to Sunday, power was restored to the neighborhood, and the same line started sparking and caught fire along the driveway. Jahovic says a fire also broke out in a neighbor’s yard.

No one was hurt in the incident, but Jahovic wants an investigation into why his repeated calls for help were not addressed before power was restored.

NIPSCO said Sunday that they were notified of the fire, and sent workers to the site to help first responders.

Dyer, Indiana officials said they are frustrated with NIPSCO’s response to northwest Indiana power outages due to last week’s storms.

Dyer, Indiana officials are frustrated with NIPSCO’s response to northwest Indiana power outages due to last week’s storms.

Meanwhile, NIPSCO had to temporarily pause some of its storm restoration work in northwest Indiana after a crew’s vehicle was hit by gunfire on Friday night, officials said.

Gary Mayor Eddie Melton confirmed that gunfire hit a vehicle belonging to a NIPSCO utility crew who were working to restore power to residents. Melton said no one was injured, and police are investigating.

The company said it temporarily paused storm restoration activities involving crews in Gary after the “serious incident.” Work in the area resumed Saturday evening.

“Let me be clear: this type of violence is absolutely unacceptable and will not be tolerated in the City of Gary,” said Melton. “These crews are here for one reason-to help our residents and restore electricity to families who have already endured days without power.”

NIPSCO issued a statement, saying, “NIPSCO is aware of a serious incident overnight in Gary involving our crews supporting our ongoing storm restoration efforts. We are working closely with law enforcement and gathering additional information. The safety of our employees, contractors and the communities we serve remains our highest priority. We are grateful that no injuries have been reported. In response to this incident, storm restoration activities involving crews have been temporarily paused in the city of Gary while we work with law enforcement and evaluate appropriate security measures to ensure the safety of our responders. We thank our employees, contractors, mutual assistance crews and law enforcement partners for their continued dedication and support during this historic restoration effort. Restoration work continues across northern Indiana, and we will provide additional information as it becomes available. We appreciate the patience and understanding of Gary residents as we take steps to ensure restoration efforts can continue safely.”

Melton said the city is coordinating with NIPSCO, the Gary Police Department, the Indiana State Police, and state officials to ensure crews have the protection necessary to safely resume their restoration work. Indiana State Police is deploying additional troopers to help local departments.

Some Gary residents who have been without electricity since Tuesday say they are frustrated after learning that power restoration efforts were temporarily paused due to the incident.

This week’s storms led to the cancellation of next weekend’s Gary Air Show. The organizers say the need for first responders to assist in the cleanup is more important than the show happening this year. They hope to be back next summer.

In Chicago, weather conditions delayed the city’s Air and Water Show on Saturday and Sunday.

The Chicago Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events said producers worked with the Federal Aviation Administration to assess flight conditions and ensure the safety of performing acts, attendees and event staff.

FULL FORECAST | Chicago weather: Scattered storms, showers Sunday

More storms had been forecast to hit the Chicago area between 3 a.m. and 8 a.m. Sunday.

Once that morning rain moved out on, the rest of the day looked mostly dry with highs in the low 80s. Next week’s forecast offers limited rain chances, bringing some relief to areas hit hard by Tuesday’s storms.

Residents whose homes suffered storm damage Tuesday and Wednesday in Cook County are being asked to complete an online survey by Aug. 24.

Cook County Radar | DuPage County Radar | Will County Radar | Lake County Radar (IL) | Kane County Radar | Northwest Indiana Radar


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Lexington, KY Park Shooting at Live Show Kills 1, Injures 4 - Internewscast Journal

Lexington, KY Park Shooting at Live Show Kills 1, Injures 4

One person was fatally shot and four others were wounded Saturday during…
St. Louis Cardinals Rookie Makes MLB History in Debut - Internewscast Journal

St. Louis Cardinals Rookie Makes MLB History in Debut

Baseball had never seen anything like it before — and there’s a…
Louisiana Man Accused of Killing Wife, Driving Across States With Her Body - Internewscast Journal

Louisiana Man Accused of Killing Wife, Driving Across States With Her Body

FBI touts historic violent crime drop as Trump praises law enforcement Fox…
Virginia State Shooting Suspect Found Hiding in Dorm Closet - Internewscast Journal

Virginia State Shooting Suspect Found Hiding in Dorm Closet

Virginia authorities have arrested a 19-year-old man in connection with a mass…
JEA CEO Investigation Cites Dismissive Behavior Pattern Despite Positive Employee Survey - Internewscast Journal

JEA CEO Investigation Cites Dismissive Behavior Pattern Despite Positive Employee Survey

The JEA Board of Directors convened a special meeting to review findings…
Mamdani’s NYC Housing Pick Criticized ‘Homeowner Cartels’ - Internewscast Journal

Mamdani’s NYC Housing Pick Criticized ‘Homeowner Cartels’

A housing nominee selected by Mayor Zohran Mamdani is facing scrutiny from…
Alaska Runner Hospitalized After Using Bear Spray to Survive Brown Bear Encounter on Trail - Internewscast Journal

Alaska Runner Hospitalized After Using Bear Spray to Survive Brown Bear Encounter on Trail

A woman out for a solo run in Anchorage, Alaska, was hospitalized…
Teen Charged After Russian Roulette Foreplay Kills Friends-With-Benefits Partner, Police Say - Internewscast Journal

Teen Charged After Russian Roulette Foreplay Kills Friends-With-Benefits Partner, Police Say

A 19-year-old Virginia woman is facing an involuntary manslaughter charge after a…
Chris Watts Reportedly Seeks Prison Marriage With New Love - Internewscast Journal

Chris Watts Reportedly Seeks Prison Marriage With New Love

Chris Watts is reportedly hoping to marry again. Watts, the convicted killer…
Serial Killer Survivor Reveals Warning Before 18-Hour Captivity - Internewscast Journal

Serial Killer Survivor Reveals Warning Before 18-Hour Captivity

This story discusses suicide. If you or someone you know is having…
Dawn of the Dead Actor’s Home Destroyed in Blaze Caught on Video - Internewscast Journal

Dawn of the Dead Actor’s Home Destroyed in Blaze Caught on Video

Tom Savini, the “Dawn of the Dead” star and celebrated horror effects…
Trump Blames Vandals for Dead Grass on National Mall After Fourth of July Celebration - Internewscast Journal

Trump Blames Vandals for Dead Grass on National Mall After Fourth of July Celebration

President Donald Trump is pointing to vandals as the cause of large…