US warns Americans to leave Venezuela immediately as armed militias set up roadblocks

The U.S. government has issued a fresh security alert urging American citizens currently in Venezuela to depart the country without delay. This warning, released on Saturday by the U.S. Embassy in Caracas, highlights increasing security threats and the limited capacity of the U.S. government to offer emergency assistance.

“U.S. citizens in Venezuela should leave the country immediately,” stated the embassy in a security alert dated January 10.

The alert underscores reports of armed groups actively operating on Venezuelan roads, posing significant risks to travelers.

“There are reports that armed militias, known locally as ‘colectivos,’ are setting up roadblocks and inspecting vehicles for any signs of U.S. citizenship or support for the United States,” the U.S. Embassy in Caracas elaborated.

This advisory comes as international travel opportunities are once again available.

“With the resumption of international flights, U.S. citizens in Venezuela are strongly advised to leave the country immediately,” the embassy emphasized.

Masked men with guns on the street

Pro-government armed civilians block streets in Caracas, Venezuela, Jan. 3, after President Donald Trump announced that Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro had been captured and flown out of the country. (AP Photo/Matias Delacroix)

The U.S. Department of State continues to list Venezuela at its highest travel warning level. 

“Venezuela has the highest Travel Advisory level – Level 4: Do Not Travel – due to severe risks to Americans,” the State Department said.

Those risks include “wrongful detention, torture in detention, terrorism, kidnapping, arbitrary enforcement of local laws, crime, civil unrest, and poor health infrastructure,” according to the State Department.

Demonstrators critical of the Venezuelan government clash with the security forces of the state.

Demonstrators critical of the government clash with the security forces of the state in Venezuela. (Rafael Hernandez/picture alliance/Getty Images)

The embassy said Americans in Venezuela should not expect consular assistance. 

“In March 2019, the U.S. Department of State withdrew all diplomatic personnel from U.S. Embassy Caracas and suspended operations,” the embassy said. “The U.S. government continues to be unable to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens in Venezuela.”

A man screaming with a sign

A supporter of Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro protests his removal from the country by U.S. forces Jan. 3. (AP Photo/Cristian Hernandez)

As part of the alert, officials issued a clear warning to Americans. 

“Do not travel to Venezuela,” the embassy said. “U.S. citizens in Venezuela are advised to leave Venezuela as soon as they feel it is safe to do so.”

The State Department did not immediately respond to Fox News Digital’s request for additional comment.

You May Also Like

Trump’s World Liberty Wins Early Approval to Launch Crypto Bank - Internewscast Journal

Trump’s World Liberty Wins Early Approval to Launch Crypto Bank

A trust firm connected to the Trump family’s cryptocurrency venture, World Liberty…
Tupac Shakur Murder Trial Opens as Keffe D Faces Jury - Internewscast Journal

Tupac Shakur Murder Trial Opens as Keffe D Faces Jury

Opening statements have concluded in the murder trial of Duane “Keffe D”…
Remains Found Near Nancy Guthrie’s Home Not Linked to Case at This Time, Report Says - Internewscast Journal

Remains Found Near Nancy Guthrie’s Home Not Linked to Case at This Time, Report Says

Human remains have been found in the desert not far from the…
Supreme Court Rejects Trump Bid to Revisit $5 Million E. Jean Carroll Verdict - Internewscast Journal

Supreme Court Rejects Trump Bid to Revisit $5 Million E. Jean Carroll Verdict

The Supreme Court on Monday refused, for a second time, to take…
Virginia Man Acquitted by Insanity Flees US on Hospital Pass - Internewscast Journal

Virginia Man Acquitted by Insanity Flees US on Hospital Pass

A Virginia man who was acquitted by reason of insanity in a…
Hedge Fund Wife Barred From NJ Divorce Trial Over Email Hack - Internewscast Journal

Hedge Fund Wife Barred From NJ Divorce Trial Over Email Hack

Billionaire John Overdeck is expected to take the witness stand Tuesday in…
Texas Father Charged With Murder After Estranged Wife Found Dead in Suburban Home, Police Say - Internewscast Journal

Texas Father Charged With Murder After Estranged Wife Found Dead in Suburban Home, Police Say

A Texas man has been arrested after police say he killed his…
Socialist Candidate Sparks Representation Fight in Majority-Black Democratic Primary - Internewscast Journal

Socialist Candidate Sparks Representation Fight in Majority-Black Democratic Primary

Progressive Democratic congressional candidate Elijah Manley on Monday sharply criticized Rep. Debbie…
Jared Kushner Issues Hamas Ultimatum: Disarm or Face Israeli Offensive Backed by US - Internewscast Journal

Jared Kushner Issues Hamas Ultimatum: Disarm or Face Israeli Offensive Backed by US

U.S. special envoy Jared Kushner issued a blunt warning to Hamas on…
Luigi Mangione’s New York Murder Trial Delayed Until December Amid Double Jeopardy Concerns - Internewscast Journal

Luigi Mangione’s New York Murder Trial Delayed Until December Amid Double Jeopardy Concerns

Luigi Mangione pleads guilty in federal case Luigi Mangione has pleaded guilty…
Coworker Says Lindsay Clancy Cried Over Andrea Yates Case - Internewscast Journal

Coworker Says Lindsay Clancy Cried Over Andrea Yates Case

Margaret Hamp, a former colleague of Lindsay Clancy, told jurors Monday that…
Elderly Orca Found With Possible Shotgun Wounds Sparks Probe - Internewscast Journal

Elderly Orca Found With Possible Shotgun Wounds Sparks Probe

Unexplained injuries on one of the world’s oldest known orcas have prompted…