Harrowing final moments of cattle farmer killed in bushfire

In a tragic incident amidst devastating bushfires in regional Victoria, a local cattle farmer was identified as the victim.

The remains of Maxwell Hobson, who was in his early 80s, were found approximately 100 meters from his charred vehicle along a fire-ravaged road in central Victoria on Sunday.

Mr. Hobson and his wife, who is in her late 70s, managed a 101-hectare farm in Terip Terip, located south of Euroa.

Despite receiving evacuation warnings from the Country Fire Authority on Thursday, Mr. Hobson decided to remain and protect his cattle farm as conditions deteriorated on Friday.

Meanwhile, his wife was successfully evacuated to the nearby town of Alexandra.

The passing of Mr. Hobson has deeply affected the local farming community, where many others have also seen their properties succumb to the relentless fires.

‘Just a great Australian guy,’ close friend Andrew Embling said.

‘When you’ve got true blue farmers coming in and crying on your shoulder, that’s hard.’

The body of Maxwell Hobson (pictured) was found near his burnt-out car on Sunday

The body of Maxwell Hobson (pictured) was found near his burnt-out car on Sunday

Mr Hobson's vehicle (pictured) was found several kilometres from his cattle farm

Mr Hobson’s vehicle (pictured) was found several kilometres from his cattle farm

Premier Jacinta Allan sent condolences to Hobson’s family and friends.

‘It’s a devastating impact, and it’s a devastating reminder of the tragedy that fire can bring to any community, to any household, to any doorstep, particularly on those difficult, catastrophic and extreme weather days,’ she said on Monday.

‘My thoughts and condolences are with that person’s family, their loved ones, the broader community too.’

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese also paid tribute.

‘Our thoughts go out to the family, the friends and the community who are impacted by this,’ he said.

Mr Hobson’s remains were discovered on Yarck Road, in Gobur, in the Longwood fire area.

His vehicle had been abandoned off the side of the road, just several kilometres from his farm.

Locals said the couple’s cattle were seen scattered along the road after the fire tore through.

As of midday Monday, more than 350 structures had been destroyed by the ongoing bushfires

As of midday Monday, more than 350 structures had been destroyed by the ongoing bushfires

Conditions were more favourable on Monday, allowing firefighters a better opportunity to fight the ongoing bushfires

Conditions were more favourable on Monday, allowing firefighters a better opportunity to fight the ongoing bushfires

Some cattle had to be euthanised, while others are being cared for by locals. 

Emergency Management Commissioner Tim Weibusch said conditions had eased on Monday, allowing firefighters better access to the 12 ongoing bushfires in Victoria.

He urged locals to continue listening to warnings and thanked firefighters for containing the blazes in Streatham, Mount Mercer and Natimuk.

‘I want to give a big shout out to David, the local captain, Steve, the local group officer, for their leadership over the many resources that came from far and wide,’ Mr Weibusch said.

‘(They) have done an amazing job, particularly in and around the nursing home and also other homes.’

As of midday Monday, more than 350 structures had been ruined by the bushfires.

Of those, 47 homes and three businesses were destroyed in Ravenswood and Harcourt.

Fire in the Otways claimed one home and multiple other structures, including sheds.

Firefighters have managed to contain fires in Streatham, Mount Mercer and Natimuk (picturedm NSW Rural Fire service crews in Victoria on Monday)

Firefighters have managed to contain fires in Streatham, Mount Mercer and Natimuk (picturedm NSW Rural Fire service crews in Victoria on Monday)

Several farms and properties have been harmed in the fires

Several farms and properties have been harmed in the fires

The Natimuk fire destroyed at least another 30 structures, 154 were burnt in Longwood, 59 in Streatham and at least four in Walwa. 

Yarroweyah’s fire destroyed 10 structures, Mount Mercer lost one house and 12 sheds, and one property was destroyed in Dargo.

LATEST BUSHFIRE INFORMATION 

QUICK FACTS:

  • 12 major fires still burning across Victoria on Monday afternoon
  • More than 350 structures destroyed across the state, including about 100 homes
  • More than 1000 agricultural properties potentially impacted
  • Two emergency warnings in place for blazes near Walwa in the state’s northeast and the Otways in the southwest
  • Longwood fire continues to burn but downgraded to watch and act level
  • Nineteen watch and act alerts across the state
  • Total fire bans in place for North Central and North East regions
  • Longwood fire has destroyed 154 structures, including homes
  • The body of a man in his 60s was found in the area on Sunday, about 100m from car that had run off the road
  • Forty-seven homes and three businesses impacted by the Ravenswood and Harcourt fires
  • One home lost at Kennedy’s Creek, along with multiple sheds and outbuildings
  • Dozens of structures lost to fires in Natimuk, including about 30 homes and power poles
  • Four structures destroyed in Walwa fire
  • Eighteen homes destroyed in Streatham fire
  • Ten structures destroyed in Yarroweyah fire
  • One home and 12 sheds and outbuildings destroyed in Mount Mercer fire
  • One property destroyed at Dargo Complex in Gippsland

SUPPORT FOR BUSHFIRE-HIT COMMUNITIES:

  • Owners of uninsured fire-affected homes can claim up to $52,250 to re-establish primary place of residence
  • Grants of up to $5000 for events and activities to support mental health and wellbeing in farming communities available from January 16
  • Donations for fire-affected communities can be made from Tuesday via the 2026 Victorian Bushfire Appeal 
  • Residents in affected communities can claim one-off disaster recovery payments of $1000 per adult and $400 per child

Source: AAP 

You May Also Like

Ella Langley’s Family Reveals Why an ‘Identity Crisis’ Drove Her to Flee Nashville

Years before Ella Langley began breaking records once associated with Taylor Swift,…

Remote Finance Boss Sues After France Move Gets Her Fired

A work-from-home finance manager has lost her unfair dismissal claim after relocating…

Scores of Teens Erupt in Violent Brawl at Wisconsin State Fair

A night at a popular Midwest state fair descended into chaos after…

Chris Hansen on Robert Pattinson’s To Catch a Predator Film

Chris Hansen, the longtime face of To Catch a Predator, is addressing…

Trump Threatens to Bomb US Ally in Fiery, Profane Tirade

Donald Trump warned that the United States could “bomb the s***” out…

Finance Book Author and CEO Jailed for $380M Fraud Scheme

The head of a purported real estate investment firm — and author…

Hayden Panettiere’s Future Hopes Before Family Tragedy Struck

Hayden Panettiere had spoken with hope about the road ahead while promoting…

Invasive Mussel-Covered Boat Blocked From California Lake

A boat heavily coated with invasive golden mussels was intercepted Saturday at…

RFK Jr. Reveals New Details About Kennedy Heiress’s Tragic Death

Her last night was filled with music, laughter and celebration alongside a…

Lindsay Clancy’s Mother Testifies in Emotional Murder Trial

Lindsay Clancy became visibly emotional in court, wiping away tears as her…

Iran Offered $30,000 Bounties to Kill or Capture U.S. Soldiers, Army Chief Says

Iran’s top military commander has announced a $30,000 bounty for anyone who…

Commander Dismisses USS Lincoln Complaints as Old News

A senior US Navy admiral has pushed back on widely circulated reports…