Iranian official says nuclear talks will continue after US, Tehran negotiations had 'a good start' in Oman

Iran’s Foreign Minister, Abbas Araghchi, has described the recent indirect nuclear discussions with the United States in Oman as “a good start,” highlighting a mutual agreement to continue these negotiations. This development marks a significant step forward after a prolonged period of silence between the two nations.

In reflecting on the discussions, Araghchi noted, “After a long period without dialogue, we were able to communicate our viewpoints and express our concerns. The rights and interests of the Iranian people were at the forefront, and all necessary matters were addressed in a very positive atmosphere. We also had the opportunity to hear the other side’s perspectives.”

He further emphasized that while the initial talks were promising, their continuation hinges on further consultations in both countries’ capitals to determine the path forward.

Abbas Araghchi and Badr al-Busaidi shake hands

During this diplomatic engagement, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi met with Omani Foreign Minister Badr al-Busaidi in Muscat on February 6, 2026. The meeting was documented by the Iranian Foreign Ministry and shared via the West Asia News Agency.

The Omani Foreign Ministry revealed that al-Busaidi engaged with both Iranian and American officials on the previous Friday. This included separate meetings with Araghchi, along with U.S. special envoy Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner. The ministry shared on social media that these consultations aimed at setting the stage for resuming diplomatic and technical negotiations, underscoring the importance of the talks given the parties’ commitment to achieving long-term security and stability.

“The consultations focused on preparing the appropriate conditions for resuming diplomatic and technical negotiations, while emphasizing their importance, in light of the parties’ determination to ensure their success in achieving sustainable security and stability,” the Foreign Ministry of Oman said.

Oman reportedly put out a public statement acknowledging the talks after journalists with The Associated Press saw Iranian and American officials separately visit the palace, the outlet reported. The AP said it was not immediately clear if talks were done for the day, but noted that the palace was empty after the convoys left.

The Iranian representatives reportedly met with al-Busaidi first, and only after their convoy left the palace did another set of vehicles arrive, one of which had an American flag, according to the AP. The outlet said the SUV flying the American flag stayed at the palace for an hour and a half.

Witkoff, Kushner in Oman for Iran talks

Omani Foreign Minister Sayyid Badr Hamad Al Busaidi, U.S. special envoy Steve Witkoff and U.S. negotiator Jared Kushner meet ahead of the U.S.-Iran talks, in Muscat, the capital of Oman, on Feb. 6, 2026. (Oman Foreign Ministry/Anadolu via Getty Images)

The talks were initially set to take place in Turkey, but were later moved, according to Secretary of State Marco Rubio, who confirmed the change in venue on Wednesday.

“We thought we had an established forum that had been agreed to in Turkey. It was put together by a number of partners who wanted to attend and be a part of it,” Rubio said when taking questions from reporters on Wednesday.

“I saw conflicting reports yesterday from the Iranian side saying that they had not agreed to that. So, that’s still being worked through. At the end of the day, the United States is prepared to engage in, has always been prepared to engage with Iran.”

Iranian officials also reportedly tried to limit the talks to a bilateral U.S.-Iran format, excluding other Arab and regional countries, according to Axios.

Iran protests and Khamenei

Supreme Leader Khamenei announces new Revolutionary Guard appointment while central bank chief resigns amid protests. (Fars News Agency via AP/Office of the Iranian Supreme Leader/WANA/ Reuters )

Tensions between Iran and the U.S. have been high since Washington bombed Tehran’s nuclear facilities in the summer of 2025. Things escalated further as the U.S. condemned Iran’s treatment of anti-regime protesters, with President Donald Trump threatening to act if government actors used violence against demonstrators.

Trump recently said in an interview with NBC News that Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei “should be very worried,” though the president acknowledged that the two countries were “negotiating.”

split of Trump and Khamenei

A former Iranian political prisoner said Trump is “the only U.S. President who is not afraid of [the Iranian] regime.” (Majid Saeedi/Getty Images; Yuri Gripas/Abaca/Bloomberg via Getty Images)

When pressed about why he has not followed through on threats to take action if the regime used violence against protesters, Trump said that the U.S. “had their back” and that the “country’s a mess right now because of us,” referring to the strikes on Iran’s nuclear facilities. Trump also told NBC News that the U.S. had learned that Iran was attempting to build a new nuclear site in a different part of the country.

The president said that he issued a threat that if Iran were to build a new nuclear facility, the U.S. would “do very bad things.”

It is not immediately clear whether there will be more discussions over the course of the weekend or if there are any plans for direct discussions between Iranian and American officials.

The State Department did not immediately respond to Fox News Digital’s request for comment.

You May Also Like

Montana Boy Killed on Carnival Ride Missing Restraints: Suit - Internewscast Journal

Montana Boy Killed on Carnival Ride Missing Restraints: Suit

A 13-year-old Montana boy died after he was allegedly thrown from a…
Bloodied, ejected Marine Corps pilot seen calm and collected after Washington crash destroys aircraft

Bloodied Marine Pilot Calm After Ejecting in Washington Crash

Newly released bodycam video shows Marine Corps F-18 pilot Maj. Jackson Simon…
Marc Jacobs Says He’d Dress Luigi Mangione for Trial in Candid Podcast Interview - Internewscast Journal

Marc Jacobs Says He’d Dress Luigi Mangione for Trial in Candid Podcast Interview

Marc Jacobs says he would not rule out dressing Luigi Mangione for…
Walmart to Use $2.9 Billion in Tariff Refunds to Cut Prices for Shoppers - Internewscast Journal

Walmart to Use $2.9 Billion in Tariff Refunds to Cut Prices for Shoppers

Walmart is putting billions of dollars from tariff refunds back into price…
Judge Weighs New Trial for Karmelo Anthony After Legal Win - Internewscast Journal

Judge Weighs New Trial for Karmelo Anthony After Legal Win

A Texas judge is set to weigh on Thursday whether teenager Karmelo…
Two missing children rescued from trailer as police arrest babysitter on kidnapping charges

Missing Children Found in Trailer; Babysitter Arrested for Kidnapping

Police rescue kidnapped baby and toddler from hot Atlanta trailer Atlanta police…
Bronx man accused of attacking Shabbat worshippers admitted motive in recorded interview, feds say

Feds Say Bronx Shabbat Attack Suspect Admitted Motive on Tape

A Bronx resident facing federal hate crime charges after a violent disturbance…
ER Doctor ID’d as Pilot Killed in PA Police Helicopter Collision - Internewscast Journal

ER Doctor ID’d as Pilot Killed in PA Police Helicopter Collision

The pilot who died Wednesday evening in what officials described as a…
Philadelphia woman says she used stage combat training to fight off masked man chasing residents

Philadelphia Woman Uses Stage Combat to Fend Off Masked Man

A Philadelphia woman says her art school training helped her react in…
Teens Win $550K After Oregon Park Ride Trapped Them Upside Down - Internewscast Journal

Teens Win $550K After Oregon Park Ride Trapped Them Upside Down

Oregon theme park riders stuck upside down Emergency responders in Oregon rescued…
Prince Harry Immigration Case Update as He and Meghan Markle Prepare to Leave the US - Internewscast Journal

Prince Harry Immigration Case Update as He and Meghan Markle Prepare to Leave the US

WASHINGTON — Questions over whether Prince Harry was fully candid on his…
Bodybuilder Dwayne Quamina Dies at 40 After Final Message Urging Fans to Stop Taking Life for Granted - Internewscast Journal

Bodybuilder Dwayne Quamina Dies at 40 After Final Message Urging Fans to Stop Taking Life for Granted

Dwayne Quamina, a Navy veteran and Mr. Olympia competitor known to bodybuilding…