Federal government opens criminal probe into whether ICE officers lied about shooting of Venezuelan man in Minneapolis, Minnesota
Share this @internewscast.com

MINNEAPOLIS — In a startling development, the acting director of Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) has revealed that two officers from the agency may have provided false testimony regarding the shooting of a migrant in Minnesota. This revelation has prompted the possibility of federal charges against the officers involved.

Acting ICE Director Todd Lyons issued a statement detailing the findings of a joint review conducted by ICE and the Department of Justice (DOJ). The review, which included video evidence, suggested that both officers in question had made “untruthful statements” under oath. As a result, they have been placed on administrative leave while a comprehensive internal investigation is underway.

“Lying under oath is a serious federal offense,” Lyons emphasized. “The U.S. Attorney’s Office is actively investigating these false statements.” He further reiterated ICE’s commitment to upholding the law with the utmost professionalism and integrity, affirming that any breach of this responsibility would not be tolerated.

This announcement follows a request from Minnesota’s top federal prosecutor to drop charges against two men involved in the incident, including one who sustained a gunshot wound to the leg from an immigration agent. Initially, the encounter was portrayed as a “violent” attack on law enforcement during an immigration enforcement operation.

Daniel Rosen, the U.S. Attorney for the District of Minnesota, highlighted the emergence of “newly discovered evidence” that contradicts the allegations made in the complaint affidavit and preliminary hearing testimony. Although Rosen did not specify the nature of this new evidence, its impact has been significant enough to prompt a reassessment of the initial claims.

“Newly discovered evidence in this matter is materially inconsistent with the allegations in the complaint affidavit. … as well as the preliminary-hearing testimony,”  U.S. Attorney for the District of Minnesota Daniel Rosen wrote in the filing Wednesday evening. It remains unclear what specific new evidence Rosen was referencing.

Rosen has asked the court to dismiss the case with prejudice, meaning the charges cannot be refiled.

“Accordingly, dismissal with prejudice will serve the interests of justice,” Rosen wrote.

In the wake of the shooting on Jan. 14 —  a week after an ICE agent fatally shot Renee Good in Minneapolis — the Trump administration said the man who was shot, Julio Cesar Sosa-Celis, attacked a federal law enforcement officer with a “shovel or a broom stick” and that the incident was part of “an attempt to evade arrest and obstruct law enforcement.”

Lawyers for another man charged in the incident, Alfredo Aljorna, said surveillance videos did not corroborate the FBI’s claims that an agent was assaulted and said Sosa-Celis was shot while standing at his doorway some distance away from the officer.

Earlier this month attorneys for Aljorna also urged a judge to prohibit the government from deporting key witnesses who they said cast doubt that an agent was repeatedly struck with a broom or a snow shovel, Judge Paul Magnuson granted the request.

The reversal on the assault charges for Sosa-Celis and Aljorna comes after several discrepancies emerged between statements from Department of Homeland Security officials and details outlined in court records regarding their arrests.   

DHS initially said in statements to media that officers were conducting a “targeted traffic stop” for Sosa-Celis when he fled in his vehicle, crashed into another car and attempted to evade arrest. The agency alleged that Sosa-Celis “violently” assaulted an officer and that two other individuals exited a nearby apartment and joined the attack “with a snow shovel and broom handle.”

According to DHS, Sosa-Celis struck the officer with “a shovel or broom stick,” prompting the officer to fire what the agency described as a defensive shot “to defend his life,” striking Sosa-Celis in the leg.

However, an affidavit from FBI Special Agent Timothy Schanz, who investigated the shooting, stated that ICE Enforcement and Removal Operations agents were attempting to stop a different man identified as Joffre Stalin Paucar Barrera — not Sosa-Celis — whom they believed was in the country illegally. According to Schanz, agents later identified the driver DHS agents stopped as a different man, Aljorna.

Schanz wrote that Aljorna struck a light pole and fled on foot toward his apartment building.

Sosa-Celis was allegedly standing on the porch and yelling at Aljorna to run faster, the affidavit says. Aljorna slipped and allegedly “began tussling” with the agent before Sosa-Celis grabbed a broom and began striking the agent, according to the affidavit.

The agent “then saw who he believed was a third Hispanic male approach with a snow shovel, and this male also began striking” him, Schanz said in the affidavit. The third man was identified as Gabriel Alejandro Hernandez-Ledezma by DHS, who accused him of also assaulting the officer.

Sosa-Celis was shot in the leg as he attempted to go inside the apartment, the affidavit says.

Video reviewed by ABC News’ Visual Verification team includes a 911 call from individuals identified as relatives of Sosa-Celis, who said agents fired as he was attempting to close the door.

Copyright © 2026 ABC News Internet Ventures.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
US forces board sanctioned oil tanker after vessel tried to evade Trump quarantine, Department of War says

U.S. Forces Intercept Sanctioned Oil Tanker Attempting to Evade Quarantine, Department of Defense Reports

On Sunday, the Department of War (DOW) announced that U.S. forces intercepted…
Exiled teacher reveals Vladimir Putin's indoctrination of Russian school kids in startling documentary

Exiled Educator Exposes Putin’s Indoctrination Tactics in Revealing New Documentary on Russian School System

A compelling new documentary sheds light on Vladimir Putin’s extensive efforts to…
Far-left group urges LA students to rebel as ICE officer attacked

Far-Left Activists Rally Los Angeles Students Amid Rising Tensions Following ICE Officer Incident

In a recent revelation by the California Post, far-left activists are reportedly…
Readers sound off on the Epstein files, outdoor dining and the Pride flag

Public Weighs In: Epstein Documents, Al Fresco Dining, and Pride Flag Debates Grab Attention

This charade is a stain on our society’s values Sayville, L.I.: The…
2026 NBA All-Star Game was a success — right until it wasn’t

2026 NBA All-Star Game Thrills Fans Before Unexpected Turn of Events

The 2026 NBA All-Star Game initially dazzled audiences before taking an unexpected…
Columbia students, faculty blast university for promoting Border Patrol recruitment event

Columbia Community Criticizes University for Hosting Border Patrol Recruitment Event

Tensions flared at Columbia University as faculty and students with progressive views…
Princess Noor Pahlavi stuns at LA Iran protests: 'a nation reclaiming itself'

Princess Noor Pahlavi Captivates at Los Angeles Iran Protests: ‘A Nation’s Journey to Self-Rediscovery

Members of the Iranian diaspora have lauded the efforts of the exiled…
Russia to suspend flights to Cuba as Trump sanctions cut fuel supply

Russia Halts Flights to Cuba Amid Fuel Shortage Triggered by Trump-Era Sanctions

Russia is set to temporarily halt flights to Cuba as airlines grapple…
Teen daughter of Ruben Torres Maldonado, Chicago man detained by immigration agents in Niles, released, dies after cancer battle

Chicago Community Mourns as Teen Advocate for Father’s Release from ICE Passes Away from Cancer

In a tragic turn of events, the teenage daughter of Chicago resident…
How did Mikaela Shiffrin do in women’s giant slalom final?

Mikaela Shiffrin’s Performance in Women’s Giant Slalom Final: Full Results and Highlights

Mikaela Shiffrin returned to the slopes for the giant slalom event in…
Israel’s 'war between the wars' with Hamas continues, despite cease-fire

Israel’s Ongoing ‘War Between Wars’ with Hamas: Beyond the Cease-Fire

GAZA — Despite the US-facilitated ceasefire between the Israel Defense Forces and…
Coney Island lands $1M from NYC for revitalization initiative

Coney Island’s $1M Revamp: NYC’s Bold Move to Transform Iconic Beachfront

Coney Island is set for a revitalization, thanks to a $1 million…