Minister for Home Affairs, Minister for Immigration and Citizenship, Minister for Cyber Security, Minister for the Arts and Leader of the House Tony Burke during the presentation and motion for second reading of the Combatting Antisemitism, Hate and Extremism (Firearms and Customs Laws) Bill 2026, in the House of Representatives at Parliament House in Canberra on Tuesday 20 January 2026. fedpol Photo: Alex Ellinghausen
Share this @internewscast.com
Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke confirmed an exclusion order had been taken out against the individual, who is an Australian citizen and part of a group of 34 women and children from 11 families who are seeking to leave Syria and return to Australia.

Burke has confirmed that a Temporary Exclusion Order has been issued for one individual in the group, following recommendations from security agencies, effectively banning the person from entering Australia for two years.

Minister for Home Affairs, Minister for Immigration and Citizenship, Minister for Cyber Security, Minister for the Arts and Leader of the House Tony Burke during the presentation and motion for second reading of the Combatting Antisemitism, Hate and Extremism (Firearms and Customs Laws) Bill 2026, in the House of Representatives at Parliament House in Canberra on Tuesday 20 January 2026. fedpol Photo: Alex Ellinghausen
Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke said he acted on the advice of security agencies. (Alex Ellinghausen)

“Currently, security agencies have not advised that other members of this group meet the legal criteria necessary for temporary exclusion orders,” Burke stated.

The Department of Home Affairs has refrained from commenting on the matter, citing its policy of not discussing individual cases.

The group had attempted to leave a camp located in north-east Syria, planning to travel to Damascus with hopes of eventually returning to Australia.

However, their journey was cut short when authorities redirected them just an hour after their departure.

However, an hour after leaving, they were turned around by authorities.

Hakmiyeh Ibrahim, the camp’s director, said the planned repatriations were organised by family members of the returnees, who had travelled from Australia to accompany them, rather than directly by Australian authorities.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese confirmed he and his government would not be providing any support to the group in their efforts to return to Australia.

“We won’t repatriate them,” Albanese told ABC radio.

“The government was taken to court by one of the non-government organisations, saying that we had a responsibility, and they weren’t successful in that.”

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese pays a visit to the Royal Children Hospital and speakds to some staff there. 17 February 2026. Photo: Eddie Jim.
Prime Minister Anthony Albanese and his government are refusing to help the Australian citizens return home. (Eddie Jim)

Cabinet Minister Amanda Rishworth echoed the Prime Minister’s sentiments.

“Our security agencies are monitoring the situation in Syria, but there won’t be assistance from the Australian government,” cabinet minister Amanda Rishworth told Today.

“They made a choice to go to Syria.”

Most people in the Roj camp are women and children with alleged links to Islamic State, though many are not prisoners or have not been accused of a crime.

The fathers and husbands of the Australian women and children attempting to leave Syria are believed to have been killed or captured.

They are all entitled to passports as citizens, but could face domestic charges if they are able to return.

NEVER MISS A STORY: Get your breaking news and exclusive stories first by following us across all platforms.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Sabina Ditches Snacking After Analyzing Sugar Levels: Is the Data Truly That Straightforward?

As Sabina Ziokowski glances at her app, a noticeable spike in her…
SA Police has released the first picture of missing 4-year-old boy Gus Lamont.

Authorities Conduct Thorough Search of Outhouse and Nearby Tank at Sheep Station in Ongoing Investigation for Missing Person Gus

Today, major crime investigators were observed examining a water tank and an…
One Nation leader Senator Pauline Hanson during a press conference at Parliament House in Canberra on Monday 19 January 2026.

Pauline Hanson Faces Backlash: Controversial Remarks Slammed as ‘Un-Australian

One of Australia’s most prominent conservative senators has delivered a stinging critique…
Man to face trial over 40 years after granny's 'reprehensible' rape

Justice Delayed: Man Faces Trial for Heinous 1983 Rape of Grandmother

Warning: This article includes content that may be distressing to some readers.…
Coles tells court shoppers care about 'fair dinkum' discounts

Coles Reveals Shopper Loyalty Hinges on Authentic Discounts: A Courtroom Insight

Coles has stood by its “down down” discount strategy, asserting that customers…
Nurse assaulted in alleged racist attack at Geelong gym

Nurse Targeted in Suspected Racially Motivated Assault at Geelong Gym

A young nurse has been left with a broken nose after being…

Tilda Swinton and Javier Bardem Lead Stars in Criticizing Berlin Film Festival’s Silence on Gaza Crisis

In brief Many signatories to the letter are artists who have presented…

Exposing the Exploitation: Urgent Oversight Needed as NDIS Providers Threaten First Nations’ Vulnerable

Individuals with disabilities, considered vulnerable, are being lured with monetary incentives, food,…
24 cats were taken from the woman, who is not allowed to be in the care of more than five felines.

Victorian Property Raid Uncovers Dozens of Animals in Distress: Serial Cruelty Offender Under Investigation

A serial animal cruelty offender, who a court found has been abusing…
NSW Premier Chris Minns insisted he would only move ahead with the proposal of an extra Anzac Day public holiday with the blessing of the RSL.

New NSW Public Holiday Sparks Concerns for Small Business Budgets

With the state’s latest Anzac Day holiday set to fall on Saturday,…
Brandan Koschel attended the March for Australia protest alongside hundreds of others winding their way through Sydney's city centre.

White Supremacist Sentenced for Incendiary Australia Day Speech

A man who threw his support behind neo-Nazis and spouted anti-Semitic remarks…
The Todd Tavern in Alice Springs is one of 20 venues where the serving of alcohol will be further restricted.

Alice Springs Enforces New Mid-Week Pub Rules: No Meal, No Pint Policy Shakes Up Local Scene

A sweeping reform is set to hit pubs in Alice Springs as…