Share this @internewscast.com

In brief

  • Both Russia and Belarus were subject to a blanket ban at the 2022 Winter Paralympics in Beijing.
  • “It is a dirty decision, absolutely and not respectable, not European,” Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said.

Ukrainian officials have announced they will be boycotting the Milano Cortina Winter Paralympics next month. The decision comes in response to the participation of a small group of Russian and Belarusian athletes, who have been granted permission to compete under their national flags.

Although Ukrainian athletes are set to participate in the Paralympics from March 6 to 15, Ukraine’s Sports Minister, Matvii Bidnyi, stated that no Ukrainian official would attend the opening ceremony or any events related to the Games. Bidnyi also called on other nations to join Ukraine in this protest.

Bidnyi expressed his discontent on social media, saying, “In reaction to the Paralympics organizers’ appalling decision to allow Russians and Belarusians to compete under their national flags, Ukrainian officials will abstain from attending the Paralympic Games.”

He further emphasized, “We will not be present at the opening ceremony and will not participate in any official Paralympic events. We extend our gratitude to every official from the free world who chooses to stand with us. Our fight continues!”

The upcoming Paralympics will see six Russian athletes and four Belarusian athletes competing under their respective national flags, rather than as neutral participants. Additionally, should any of these athletes win a gold medal, their national anthems will be played.

The allocation for Russia includes two positions in para alpine skiing, two in cross-country skiing, and two in snowboarding. Meanwhile, the Belarusian athletes will be competing exclusively in cross-country skiing.

“It is a dirty decision, absolutely and not respectable, not European,” Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said, speaking on Piers Morgan Uncensored.

“I think this is an awful decision … and not just. We will react.”

Why were Russia and Belarus previously banned?

Russia was excluded from Olympic and Paralympic competitions after its 2022 invasion of Ukraine, as was Belarus, which served as a key staging area for Russian troops.

Both countries were subject to a blanket ban at the 2022 Winter Paralympics in Beijing. The Beijing Winter Olympics had finished days before Russia’s full-scale invasion.

At the 2024 Paris Games, a small number of Russian and Belarusian athletes were permitted to compete as individual neutral athletes, known as AIN, an abbreviation of the French term ‘athlètes individuels neutres’.

Athletes competing as AIN don’t compete under their country’s flags.

A limited number of Russians and Belarusians are competing as individual neutral athletes at the Milano Cortina Winter Olympics, with the Olympic committees of the two nations still sanctioned by the International Olympic Committee (IOC).

The International Paralympic Committee (IPC)’s decision came amid already heightened tensions between Ukraine and the IOC, which oversees the Winter Olympics currently underway.

The IOC banned Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych for refusing to ditch a helmet depicting victims of the war with Russia.

What has changed?

Russia and Belarus regained full membership rights in the IPC after member organisations voted in September 2025 to lift their partial suspensions.

International federations for each sport on the Paralympic Games program said they would maintain bans on athletes from those countries, but Russia and Belarus won an appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport in December against the International Ski and Snowboard Federation.

The European commissioner for sport Glenn Micallef said he would also not be attending this year’s Paralympics opening ceremony.

A figure skater on ice that bears the Milano Cortina 2026 logo
Russia’s Adeliia Petrosian competing at the current Winter Olympics as a neutral individual. Source: Getty / Matthew Stockman

“First allowing Russia and Belarus to return and now granting a wild card and fast-tracking participation without qualification? This is unacceptable,” Micallef said on social media.

“While Russia’s war of aggression against Ukraine continues, I cannot support the reinstatement of national symbols, flags, anthems and uniforms, that are inseparable from that conflict. For this reason, I will not attend the Paralympics Opening Ceremony. I call on my like-minded counterparts to take the same stand,” he said.

Poland’s sports ministry said it would also stay away from the ceremony.

“In the face of the ongoing Russian aggression against Ukraine, the participation of athletes from Russia and Belarus in sporting competition using their flags and anthems is absolutely unacceptable,” it said on social media.

Belarusian alpine skier Maria Shkanova, competing as a neutral at the Winter Olympics, welcomed the IPC decision.

“I think it’s fair,” Shkanova told reporters.


For the latest from SBS News, download our app and subscribe to our newsletter.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
Huge chunk of Central Australia to receive drenching

Central Australia Set for Major Downpour: What This Means for the Region

Central Australia is bracing for potential isolation due to an impending deluge…
Lucy Hughes Pokemon card collector

Meet Lucy: The Pokémon Card Trader Surpassing Her 9-to-5 Income

Lucy Hughes has turned her nostalgic “hobby” into a six-figure salary. Hughes…

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Taken into Custody

Even after being stripped of his official titles by his brother, King…
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA - OCTOBER 3: Matt Utai of the Bulldogs dives over for a try during the NRL Grand Final  between the Sydney Roosters and the Bulldogs held at Telstra Stadium, October 3, 2004 in Sydney, Australia. (Photo by Chris McGrath/Getty Images) *** Local Caption *** Matt Utai

Four Teens Face Charges in Connection with Alleged Shooting and Arson Attacks on Utai Family

In a shocking incident early Tuesday morning, former Bulldogs and Wests Tigers…
Police return to royal homes after ex-Prince Andrew's arrest

Police Presence Intensifies at Royal Residences Following Former Prince Andrew’s Arrest

The brother of King Charles III was taken into custody on his…

NT Hit-and-Run Driver Dodges Jail Time Once More Despite Prosecutors’ Appeal for Tougher Sentence

Warning: This article contains distressing content and mentions the names of deceased…
Former MP on trial for alleged child abuse in car park bathroom

Ex-MP Faces Court Over Shocking Child Abuse Allegations in Car Park Restroom

A former politician accused of sexually abusing a young teen in a…
Prince Andrew arrives for the funeral of the Duchess of Kent at Westminster Cathedral in London, Tuesday, Sept. 16, 2025.

Ancient Law Resurfaces: The Legal Twist that Threatens Prince Andrew with a Life Sentence

However, the charge he was arrested on suspicion of, misconduct in public…
President Donald Trump speaks to reporters aboard Air Force One shortly before takeoff, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026, at Joint Base Andrews, Md.

Donald Trump Expresses Deep Sadness Over Andrew’s Arrest

“I believe it’s a real pity. It’s a great misfortune and quite…

Zuckerberg Testifies: Landmark Social Media Trial Poised to Reshape Tech Industry

In brief This was the first time Zuckerberg, who owns Meta, addressed…

Trump Convenes Inaugural ‘Board of Peace’ Meeting, Pledges Aid for Gaza

Key Points Donald Trump inaugurated his “Board of Peace” with a pledge…
Posties told to stop wearing uniforms amid reports they're getting sunburnt

Postal Workers Advised to Ditch Uniforms Due to Sunburn Concerns

Australia Post has advised its postal workers to refrain from wearing their…