Share this @internewscast.com
In a surprising development, Karl Jacobson, the former Chief of Police in New Haven, found himself facing serious legal trouble as he was taken into custody on Friday. Prosecutors have leveled accusations against him, claiming he misappropriated $85,000 from two funds belonging to the city.
Jacobson, who had resigned from his position in January, voluntarily surrendered in response to an arrest warrant. Subsequently, he was released after posting a $150,000 bond set by the court. The charges against him include two counts of larceny, linked to alleged fraudulent activities involving public money.
Chief State’s Attorney Patrick J. Griffin addressed the gravity of the situation in a statement, emphasizing that “an allegation of embezzlement by a police official is a serious matter and potentially undermines public confidence in the criminal justice system.” Such charges can have far-reaching implications, especially when they involve someone in a position of authority.
Jacobson’s legal representative, Gregory Cerritelli, made a public statement, relayed by Fox News Digital. While he refrained from commenting on the specific accusations, Cerritelli reminded the public that “an arrest is not evidence of guilt and allegations are not proof.”

He further urged patience and fairness, indicating that “this is the beginning of a very long process.” He called for everyone to maintain an open mind and to avoid making hasty conclusions.
“This is the beginning of a very long process,” he stated. “I urge everyone to keep an open mind and avoid a rush to judgment.”
New Haven Mayor Justin Elicker called the allegations “shocking” during a news conference, and he said the former police chief had at first only admitted taking $10,000 from one account.
“We didn’t know how deep this went,” Elicker said, adding that the arrest warrant outlined that Jacobson had “severe issues” with gambling.

Authorities allege former New Haven Police Chief Karl Jacobson misappropriated $85,000 from two city funds. (New Haven Police Department)
“It’s a very sad day for the city to see a chief, who was beloved by so many people, arrested for a theft of public money and also money that was intended for children,” Elicker said.
Last month, Elicker announced Jacobson’s retirement, saying the former chief acknowledged taking money from a city fund used to pay confidential informants who assist in narcotics investigations, according to The Associated Press.
Elicker also said the former chief had confessed to taking the funds for personal use after being confronted by three of his deputies over financial irregularities.

The State’s Attorney’s Office announced charges against the former New Haven police chief in connection with alleged fund misuse. (New Haven Police Department)
The State’s Attorney’s Office said the investigation revealed that $81,500 was unaccounted for or misappropriated from the New Haven Police Department Narcotic Enforcement Program Fund between Jan. 1, 2024, and Jan. 5, 2026.
Bank records show that department checks were deposited into Jacobson’s personal checking account, prosecutors said.
Investigators said they also found two checks totaling $4,000 were allegedly embezzled from the New Haven Police Activity League Fund in December 2025.
Jacobson was a member of the department for 15 years before serving a three-year stint as police chief.
Fox News Digital reached out to Jacobson’s attorney for comment.