Epsom police say they are yet to find evidence of reported rape

In the ongoing investigation of a reported rape in Epsom, police have stated they have yet to uncover any evidence supporting the claims of the offense as initially described, nor any indication of involvement by asylum seekers.

The incident was reported by a woman in her 20s, who alleged she was followed and assaulted near Epsom Methodist Church after departing the Labyrinth Epsom nightclub between 2 am and 4 am last Saturday.

However, law enforcement officials have refrained from releasing details about potential suspects, citing a lack of sufficient information to proceed with identifying them publicly.

This uncertainty led to a significant public reaction, with hundreds of protesters converging on Epsom’s town center on Wednesday evening. The protest turned tense, with some participants resorting to hurling objects at police officers.

In response to the situation, Assistant Chief Constable for Local Policing, Sarah Grahame, addressed the public today with an update on the investigation.

“Over the past week, there has been widespread speculation and commentary following a report of a rape in Epsom in the early hours of Saturday,” she stated, acknowledging the community’s concern and the ongoing efforts to resolve the case.

‘We are aware of the strength of feeling this has created, and of the frustration caused by our limited public comment on the matter.

‘During this time, we have been investigating in depth to establish the sequence of events and to clarify the circumstances surrounding the reported incident. We have reviewed an extensive amount of CCTV footage from the area. 

‘We have also been interviewing potential witnesses, carrying out forensics investigations and conducting house-to-house enquiries.

‘To date, we have not found any evidence of the offence as reported but the investigation is ongoing.’

A traffic cone flying in the direction of armed police in Epsom on Wednesday evening as protests broke out in the upmarket Surrey town

A traffic cone flying in the direction of armed police in Epsom on Wednesday evening as protests broke out in the upmarket Surrey town

Crowds converging on Epsom High Street on Wednesday evening

Crowds converging on Epsom High Street on Wednesday evening 

Turning to rumours that had been circulating locally and on social media, she continued: ‘There has been much speculation about the non-release of a description of any suspects, especially regarding the ethnicity. 

‘No descriptions have been released as the information about the incident and potential suspects is so limited. To address the specific commentary, there is no evidence that asylum seekers or immigrants were involved.

‘We appreciate that you want information. We will continue to tell you as much as we can, to engage with you, to reassure you and to address concerns. We ask for space and time to work through the investigation.’

The police chief said there would be an ‘increased police presence’ in Epsom over the weekend.

Yesterday afternoon, around 200 residents gathered inside Epsom Methodist Church for the ‘Hope for Epsom’ service attended by community leaders, police officers and clergy. 

Reverend Catherine Hutton began with a message: ‘Today our community gathers to demonstrate our love for the people of Epsom.’

Rev Hutton said the service was a place for people to express ‘our outrage’ at the rape of a young woman.

She added: ‘People of Epsom we are kind. Together we build the future of hopeful Epsom.’

A specially commissioned song of hope was sung before those attending were given the opportunity to lay stones at the front of the church.

Surrey Police said it put in place a 'significant' police presence, including specially trained public order officers, until protesters left at around 8pm

Surrey Police said it put in place a ‘significant’ police presence, including specially trained public order officers, until protesters left at around 8pm 

Helen Maguire, Lib Dem MP for Epsom and Ewell, had called on the public to ‘let the police do their work’.

‘While I support peaceful protest and understand that members of our community are rightly angry after the appalling assault on a young woman, those who are turning to disruption and intimidation cannot be allowed to do so,’ she said. 

‘Behaviour such as damaging police vehicles, blocking key roads, and intimidating officers is completely unacceptable. To those who have come into Epsom from outside our community to spread division and cause disruption: take it elsewhere. It won’t be tolerated here.’

Video posted on social media showed crowds of protesters gathered in Epsom town centre. 

Dozens of police officers could be seen wearing helmets and holding shields, with a cone and other objects apparently thrown in their direction. 

Surrey Police said it had put in place a ‘significant’ police presence, including specially trained public order officers, until protesters left at around 8pm.

You May Also Like

Netflix Lockerbie Drama Brings Back My Brush With Death

For six agonizing hours, Surinder Basuta sat in New York with the…

James Cleverly Claims Cambridge Exploited Jason Arday’s Story

Cambridge University treated Jason Arday as a source of “bragging rights”, Sir…

Davina McCall Completes Nightmare Home Renovation at Last

For Davina McCall, ending her marriage to second husband Matthew Robertson in…

Expert Tips to Keep Your Garden Thriving During a Drought

Daily Mail journalists select and curate the products that feature on our…

Iran Offered $30,000 Bounties to Kill or Capture U.S. Soldiers, Army Chief Says

Iran’s top military commander has announced a $30,000 bounty for anyone who…

Hayden Panettiere’s Future Hopes Before Family Tragedy Struck

Hayden Panettiere had spoken with hope about the road ahead while promoting…

Portland Faces Asbestos Cloud Risk in Historic Mill Demolition

A 116-year-old Portland mill contaminated with asbestos is slated for demolition, alarming…

Jennifer Garner Seen Leaving LA Church After Reuniting With Ben Affleck

Jennifer Garner appeared in high spirits on Sunday as she stepped out…

Hawaii Doctor Gerhardt Konig Could Face New Trial Over Alleged Cliffside Attack on Wife

A Hawaii physician convicted of attacking his wife on a cliffside and…

Jeffries Offers Cautious Response on Medicare for All and DSA Influence

WASHINGTON — House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries drew sharp scrutiny Sunday after…

Sardinian Coast Faces Surge of Tourist Party Boats as Locals Raise Alarm

Some of Sardinia’s most treasured coastal beauty spots are under mounting pressure…

Nancy Mace Reveals All Nine Tattoos—and Trump’s Reaction

Outgoing Republican Rep. Nancy Mace has set social media buzzing after showing…