French soldier is killed in Lebanon as Macron blames Hezbollah

A tragic incident unfolded in southern Lebanon when a French soldier lost his life after UN peacekeepers were ambushed by an armed group.

The soldier sustained a fatal gunshot wound during the attack, which occurred on Saturday morning, as the patrol came under fire from small arms. Three others were injured in the incident.

Despite efforts to save him, the soldier sadly succumbed to his injuries.

French President Emmanuel Macron has attributed the attack to Hezbollah. This incident took place merely a day after a ceasefire between Lebanon and Israel was established on Friday. Macron has called on Lebanese authorities to apprehend those responsible.

“All evidence points to Hezbollah being responsible for this attack,” Macron stated in a social media message.

He further urged, “France demands that the Lebanese authorities promptly arrest those accountable and fulfill their responsibilities alongside UNIFIL,” referring to the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon.

Catherine Vautrin, the French armed forces minister, said the UN peacekeepers had been on a mission to open a route towards a UNIFIL post when the ambush occurred. 

The post had been isolated for several days due to fighting in the area between Hezbollah and Israeli forces.

A French contingent of UNIFIL Al-Qasmiyeh on April 18, 2026 patrols southern Lebanese

A French soldier suffered a ‘direct gunshot’ wound after the patrol came under ‘small-arms fire’ on Saturday morning (File image)

Pictured: French UNIFIL peacekeepers patrol Al-Qasmiyeh, in southern Lebanon, on April 18, 2026 (File image)

Pictured: French UNIFIL peacekeepers patrol Al-Qasmiyeh, in southern Lebanon, on April 18, 2026 (File image)

Emmanuel Macron blamed Hezbollah for the ambush, claiming 'everything suggests' the Iran-backed group is 'responsible for this attack'

Emmanuel Macron blamed Hezbollah for the ambush, claiming ‘everything suggests’ the Iran-backed group is ‘responsible for this attack’ 

Vautrin said on social media the deceased French soldier had been ‘caught in an ambush by an armed group at very close range’. 

‘Immediately hit by a direct shot from a light weapon, he was pulled back under fire by his comrades, who were unable to resuscitate him,’ she said.  

UNIFIL said the peacekeepers ‘came under small-arms fire from non-state-actors’ in a ‘deliberate attack’ as they were ‘clearing explosive ordnance along a road in the village of Ghanduriyah’ to get to the outpost.  

‘Tragically, one peacekeeper succumbed to his injuries and three others were injured, two of them seriously,’ it added. 

UNIFIL has carried out its own assessment of the attack, reporting that incoming fire had been directed on its troops by ‘allegedly Hezbollah’. 

It said it had also launched an investigation into what ‘may amount to war crimes’.

Macron spoke with Lebanese president Joseph Aoun and prime minister Nawaf Salam following the attack ‘to call on the Lebanese authorities to shed full light on this incident’ and ‘identify and prosecute those responsible without delay’, his office said. 

The French president also urged Lebanon to ‘do everything possible to ensure the safety of UNIFIL soldiers, who must under no circumstances be targeted’. 

French UNIFIL peacekeepers patrol southern Lebanon as displaced residents wave Hezbollah flags at them

French UNIFIL peacekeepers patrol southern Lebanon as displaced residents wave Hezbollah flags at them 

UNIFIL patrols in southern Lebanon near the Israeli border where Israel and Hezbollah have been fighting since last month

UNIFIL patrols in southern Lebanon near the Israeli border where Israel and Hezbollah have been fighting since last month

Salam said he has ordered an investigation into the fatal ambush and to bring the perpetrators to justice. 

Lebanese politicians and the army have condemned the attack in a statement, with the army saying it will continue its ‘close coordination’ with UNIFIL.  

UNIFIL patrols southern Lebanon, near the Israeli border where Israel and Hezbollah have been fighting since last month, after the Iran-backed militant group drew Lebanon into the Middle East war with rocket fire at Israel in support of Iran.

Three Indonesian peacekeepers were killed last month, with a preliminary UN investigation finding one was killed by Israeli tank fire, while the two others were killed by an improvised explosive device likely planted by Hezbollah.

Other UNIFIL peacekeepers have also been wounded since the war erupted, and in April, Israeli soldiers destroyed surveillance cameras in UNIFIL’s headquarters, the peacekeeping body said.

Last week, an Israeli tank twice rammed peacekeeping vehicles, causing damage but no injuries, according to UNIFIL.

UN peacekeepers have served as a buffer between Lebanon and Israel for decades, but their mandate concludes at the end of this year. 

Hezbollah has denied it was involved in the deadly attack after Macron accused the group of orchestrating the ambush. 

In a statement the group said: ‘Hezbollah denies any connection to the incident that occurred with UNIFIL forces in the Ghandouriyeh-Bint Jbeil area, and calls for caution in making judgments and assigning responsibilities regarding the incident pending the Lebanese army’s investigations to determine the full circumstances of the incident.’

You May Also Like

Why Whales Are Gathering at Arctic Circle Feeding Frenzies

Warming seas are luring whales into dramatic “feeding frenzies” inside the Arctic…

Texts Reveal Married Doctor’s Worst Mistake With LI Stripper

A married New York doctor locked in a bitter legal battle with…

French Police Video Exposes Violent Clash With Migrants

Newly released footage captures the tense moment French police confronted a group…

Meghan Markle May Return to Acting If She Comes Back to Britain

The Duchess of Sussex may be poised for a return to acting…

Judge Bars Rep. Lauren Boebert’s Son Tyler Boebert From Contacting Ex in Child Exploitation Case

Rep. Lauren Boebert’s son, Tyler Boebert, has been instructed by a Colorado…

Girl, 12, Found in Woods Hours After Vanishing From Sleepover

A 12-year-old North Carolina girl who authorities say was abducted from a…

Romanian Man Who Came to UK and Murdered Victim Jailed for Life

A Romanian killer who moved to the UK and went on to…

Rail chiefs on flood alert as thunderstorms sweep in after heatwaves

Network Rail is bracing for significant disruption on the railway network as…

Meghan’s Mother Doria Ragland Won’t Join Sussexes in Britain

Meghan Markle’s mother, Doria Ragland, is not expected to follow her daughter…

Martha’s Vineyard Toddler Cried for Dad Before Freezing Car Death

A 2-year-old boy allegedly died after being left for hours inside a…

Fugitive Wife in Flip-Flops Seen Walking After Husband’s Murder

New surveillance video appears to show a Massachusetts woman wanted in connection…

NYC Mayoral Aide Signals Aid for Stores Impacted by City-Run Supermarkets

A top official helping steer New York City Mayor Zohran Mamdani’s proposed…