Church angers school next door by allowing HOMELESS CAMP in its yard

A homeless encampment located at a church in Bangor, Maine, was dismantled following complaints from a nearby private school.

Previously, a line of four tents occupied a path on the grounds of St. John’s Episcopal Church, situated conveniently near Bangor’s downtown and just a block away from City Hall.

The church had an arrangement with the individuals residing in the tents, allowing them to stay under specific conditions.

According to the Bangor Daily News, these conditions permitted up to seven people to live in the camp, with occupancy restricted to the hours between 7 p.m. and 9 a.m. The agreement also required the camp to remain clean and prohibited drug use or dealing.

Reverend Jarrett Kerbel, the church’s rector, mentioned to the news outlet that the campers generally adhered to these guidelines.

However, on March 30, John Bapst Memorial High School, located directly behind the church, raised concerns with city officials, prompting action.

The private school, where tuition costs $12,500 per year, has a dorm near the former homeless encampment that hosts international students. A school administrator cited safety concerns in the complaint to Bangor.

The city soon notified St John’s Episcopal Church that it was violating city ordinance by allowing the homeless encampment on its property, City Manager Carollynn Lear told the Bangor Daily News, and the camp was closed last week. 

A homeless encampment at St John¿s Episcopal Church in Bangor, Maine, was cleared out after a neighboring private school complained to the city

A homeless encampment at St John’s Episcopal Church in Bangor, Maine, was cleared out after a neighboring private school complained to the city

Last month, officials at John Bapst Memorial High School (pictured) cited safety concerns regarding its students in its complaint to the city

Last month, officials at John Bapst Memorial High School (pictured) cited safety concerns regarding its students in its complaint to the city

The homeless camp was closed last week, which the church's Rector, Jarrett Kerbel (pictured), lamented

The homeless camp was closed last week, which the church’s Rector, Jarrett Kerbel (pictured), lamented

Lear also told the outlet that the complaint from the private school was the only one the city had received regarding the church encampment. Even so, city code prohibits temporary shelters on non-residential property, and fines are issued to violators. 

Reverend Kerbel lamented the mandate to clear out the encampment and told the Bangor Daily News: ‘It’s only with relationships and love that people begin to heal, and that’s what Jesus did.’

Kerbel added that the camp’s closure was not formally enforced by the city, but the church was threatened with fines that it could not afford. 

‘The second they threaten a fine, of course, they’re telling us it has to end,’ Kerbel said.

Homeless encampments in Bangor are a frequent topic of concern among residents of the city. 

Sergeant Jeremy Brock, a spokesperson for the city’s police, told the Bangor Daily News that his department has received 110 reports this year related to a growing encampment in the city’s Pierce Park and the public library nearby.

The park is just a few blocks from St John’s Episcopal Church, and some of the homeless people who were kicked out of that property have moved to the camp there. 

Brock said that Bangor officials’ main strategy for addressing encampments is enforcing local codes that regulate outdoor camping. 

John Bapst Memorial High School, where tuition costs $12,500 per year, is situated directly behind the church. A view of the side of the school building is pictured

John Bapst Memorial High School, where tuition costs $12,500 per year, is situated directly behind the church. A view of the side of the school building is pictured 

The church's rector and a spokesperson for Bangor's police department described a kind of whack-a-mole enforcement by city officials when it comes to regulating homeless encampments. Tents at a camp that was cleared in December are pictured

The church’s rector and a spokesperson for Bangor’s police department described a kind of whack-a-mole enforcement by city officials when it comes to regulating homeless encampments. Tents at a camp that was cleared in December are pictured

Jay Brennan is the interim head of John Bapst Memorial High School. The school's complaint about the homeless encampment at the church was the only one received by Bangor officials

Jay Brennan is the interim head of John Bapst Memorial High School. The school’s complaint about the homeless encampment at the church was the only one received by Bangor officials

Brock and Reverend Kerbel described a kind of whack-a-mole strategy from the city when it comes to closing encampments, rather than a comprehensive policy that could address the problem in the long term. 

‘I really think we have all the right people and a lot of compassionate Bangorians so that we could probably do a good thing if we got it all lined up, and we got out of this kind of “react react react” mode,’ Kerbel told the Bangor Daily News. 

Late last year, the city spent nearly $120,000 to close and clean up its largest homeless encampment, called Tent City, which spanned about seven acres next to the airport and had around 100 people living there. 

On December 22, the city closed another encampment near railroad tracks on the other side of Bangor.

St John’s Episcopal Church declined to comment when the Daily Mail reached out. Jay Brennan, the interim head of John Bapst Memorial High School, told the Daily Mail that the school’s confidentiality rules prohibited him from commenting. 

You May Also Like

Newport Beach Police Rescue 5 Dogs From Deadly Hot Car

Five dogs trapped inside a sweltering car in Newport Beach were moments…

New Video Reveals El Chapo’s First Hours in Captivity

Newly released video captures the first hours after Joaquín “El Chapo” Guzmán…

Trump Blasts Tucker Carlson as Low IQ in Sharp New Feud

President Donald Trump has publicly broken with one-time ally Tucker Carlson, accusing…

Biden-Appointed Judge Blocks Trump Visa Freeze Affecting 75 Countries

A federal judge in New York has struck down a Trump administration…

Only 4% Say Prince William Should Move First Toward Harry

Prince William should leave it to Prince Harry to take the first…

Buc-ee’s Opens Massive New Store as Hundreds Camp Overnight for Grand Opening

Buc-ee’s has made its long-awaited debut in Arkansas, and its most devoted…

Hayden Panettiere’s Mom Shares Heartbreaking Airbnb Theory

Hayden Panettiere’s mother, Lesley Vogel, says she does not believe the version…

Conjoined Twin Girls Die After Fifth Separation Surgery Fails

Two-year-old conjoined twin sisters tragically died during a highly complex separation operation…

Parking Lot Etiquette Dispute Roils America’s Wealthiest Mountain Town

A fierce parking scramble in one of America’s most exclusive mountain destinations…

Zelensky Says Putin Plans to Draft 300,000 More Troops for Ukraine War

Ukraine believes the Kremlin is preparing to conscript another 300,000 soldiers for…

Michael Wright, The Five Heartbeats and Sugar Hill Actor, Dies at 70

Michael Wright, the actor remembered for standout performances in The Five Heartbeats,…

Small Plane Plunges Into Ocean as Florida Beachgoers Watch

A small aircraft plunged into the Atlantic Ocean just off one of…