A 17-year-old Massachusetts teen accused of using ChatGPT to explore fantasies about killing his family has been charged in the deaths of his mother and younger brother inside their home in an upscale Boston suburb. On Thursday, a judge ordered Arjun Aravind held without bail as prosecutors described new details from the violent scene.
Aravind, of Acton, appeared Thursday in Concord District Court, where he was arraigned on two counts of murder, two counts of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon and two counts of assault and battery, the Middlesex District Attorney’s Office confirmed to News Outlet.
Prosecutors said he is being charged as an adult under Massachusetts law. He entered not guilty pleas, according to the district attorney’s office.
Middlesex District Attorney Marian Ryan said Wednesday that investigators found what she described as “concerning behavior” by Aravind in the days or weeks leading up to the killings, including online activity and the alleged use of ChatGPT to examine theoretical or fictional scenarios about killing his family.
Middlesex District Attorney Marian Ryan and Acton Police Chief Douglas Sturniolo confirmed that Arjun Aravind, 17, of Acton, has been charged with two counts of murder, two counts of assault and battery on a household or family member, two counts of assault and battery, use of a vehicle without authority and theft of a motor vehicle in connection with the deaths of his brother, Siddharth Aravind, 14, and his mother, Sudha Venkatesan, 45. (Acton Police Department)
Ryan said the teen allegedly used the artificial intelligence chatbot to conduct searches related to “theoretical ideas or fantasies regarding killing his family.”
Authorities allege Aravind killed his mother, Sudha Venkatesan, 45, and his 14-year-old brother, Siddharth Aravind. Both were discovered dead Tuesday evening inside the family’s home on Martha Lane.
Acton, located about 30 miles northwest of Boston, is considered an affluent community. Aravind’s defense attorney, Debra DeWitt, told CBS News Boston after Thursday’s hearing that the family had recently moved there in part because of the schools and the support system available for the children.
Arjun Aravind attends his arraignment at Concord District Court in Concord, Mass., on Thursday, Aug. 13, 2026, for the murders of his mother and younger brother at their home in Acton, Mass. (Lane Turner/The Boston Globe via AP)
Authorities were called to the home shortly after 6:30 p.m. Tuesday after Aravind’s father requested a well-being check.
The father had been at work and was worried after a tutor who arrived at the house was unable to get inside, according to authorities. After repeated attempts to contact his family went unanswered, he contacted police.
Acton Police said a woman and teenager were found dead inside this home on Martha Lane on Tuesday evening, Aug. 11. (USA TODAY Network via Reuters Connect)
Responding officers entered the home and found Siddharth dead on the first floor. Venkatesan was subsequently found dead in the finished basement, authorities said.
Prosecutors said Thursday that investigators encountered evidence of a violent physical struggle inside the home and that preliminary evidence indicated both victims suffered blunt-force trauma.
The official causes of death remain pending determinations by the medical examiner.
Middlesex District Attorney Marian Ryan explains details of a double murder in Acton on Tuesday, Aug. 11, 2026. (USA TODAY Network via Reuters Connect)
Venkatesan was last seen alive at about 7 a.m. Tuesday, when her husband left for work, according to Ryan.
Siddharth went to a recreational facility around 9 a.m. and returned home shortly after noon.
Investigators quickly discovered that Venkatesan’s green Honda Accord was also missing from the residence.
Aravind was located at approximately 3:40 a.m. Wednesday inside his mother’s vehicle in a parking lot in nearby Wayland, Massachusetts, and was taken into custody without incident.
Acton Police Chief Douglas Sturniolo explains that the police have been in touch with the schools to activate support services. (USA TODAY Network via Reuters Connect)
Prosecutors said Thursday that investigators recovered several items from the car that they believe corresponded with evidence from the scene, though officials have not publicly identified those items.
Court documents also indicate Aravind’s father had become concerned about his son’s recent behavior and internet use and had begun hiding knives inside the home, CBS News Boston reported.
Aravind received medical treatment for injuries to his hand before Thursday’s appearance and was medically cleared to attend court, prosecutors said.
His attorney requested that he receive a mental health evaluation. When the judge asked whether the request concerned Aravind’s competency to stand trial or his potential criminal responsibility, DeWitt said that had not yet been determined.
Aravind is due back in court Sept. 11 for a probable cause hearing.
News Outlet has reached out to OpenAI for comment.




