A magnitude-4.8 earthquake shook southern Spain on Tuesday, prompting hotel evacuations in Granada and leaving three people with minor injuries.
The tremor struck the Granada area at about 10.38am, sending pieces of masonry and debris into the streets and opening cracks in buildings across the busy tourist destination.
Spain’s National Geographical Institute said the epicentre was in Alhendin, a town roughly six miles south of Granada.
Antonio Sanz, Andalusia’s senior emergency official, said three people were lightly hurt, among them a girl who was taken to hospital for treatment.
Emergency crews fielded more than 50 calls in the aftermath, with residents reporting structural cracks, falling debris and other earthquake-related damage.
Footage shared on social media appeared to show rubble scattered across roads and vehicles damaged by falling material.
‘Everything came crashing down. It was terrifying,’ Cristina Ruiz Lopez, a laboratory worker who said she was inside a supermarket when the earthquake hit, wrote on X.
Tuesday’s quake followed another powerful jolt in the region just days earlier, when a magnitude-5.0 tremor woke residents shortly after 1am on Saturday.
No injuries were reported following the earlier earthquake, although some buildings were damaged.
Andalusia’s president Juanma Moreno warned locals and tourists that further seismic activity and aftershocks were possible.

A fallen tree branch lies atop a damaged vehicle on a street in the aftermath of an earthquake that struck southern Spain, in Granada, Spain, August 18, 2026
He wrote on X: ‘Once again, an earthquake shakes Granada. Maximum CAUTION.
Granada is home to the Alhambra palace, a UNESCO-listed jewel of medieval Islamic architecture and the seat of Spain’s last Muslim kingdom.
Andalucia’s president Juanma Moreno warned locals and tourists in Granada to be prepared for more seismic movements and aftershocks.
He said on X: ‘Once again, an earthquake shakes Granada. Maximum CAUTION.
‘Experts point out that seismic movements and aftershocks may continue in the area, and it is important to know how we should act in these situations.
‘Let’s follow the advice and remain calm, please.’
Calle Navas in Granada, one of the typical tapas streets in Granada which is heavily geared towards tourists, was one of the streets where damage was reported.
Bars in the street suspended their activity and the local police put up tape blocking off access due to falling cornice debris.
Local reports said there were cracks in buildings.
The beautiful Iglesia del Sagrario Church in Granada, which is attached to the city cathedral, was closed and is set to remain so until the end of the day.
Granada Football Club also shut its official shop, saying in a statement: ‘Due to the seismic activity in recent hours and for safety reasons, the official store and ticket offices at the Stadium will remain closed until further notice.
‘The remote customer service channels for season ticket holders will remain operational.’
Andalucia’s Councillor for Health and Emergencies Antonio Sanz said: ‘I am going to convene the advisory committee for the earthquake emergency plan imminently, once we have assessed the situation and, logically, continue taking measures from the standpoint of precaution, self-protection and prevention.’
There was no immediate information on the nationalities of those hurt, or how they had been injured.
Only one of the three casualties, the girl described as a minor whose age is not yet known, was taken to hospital.
This is a breaking news story, more to follow.