Nick Kyrgios apologises after testing positive for cocaine

Nick Kyrgios has announced that he tested positive for cocaine in a drugs test and has been placed under a provisional suspension.

The former Wimbledon finalist, whose recent seasons have been disrupted by repeated injury problems, said the physical and mental strain of that period offered “some context” for the failed test, though he stressed he was not making excuses.

“I wanted you to hear it from me first,” Kyrgios wrote in a lengthy statement posted on Instagram. “I recently failed a drug test in Mallorca after testing positive for cocaine.

“I made a huge mistake and I take full responsibility for it.

“I am sorry to my fans, my family, my sponsors, and everyone close to me. Above all, I’m sorry to the kids who follow me. I know the example this sets and I’m deeply disappointed in myself.

“I’m not going to make excuses, but I do want to give some context about where I’ve been. The last couple of years of injuries have taken a huge toll on me, both physically and mentally. My body hasn’t been able to do what my mind expects it to do, and coming to terms with being near the end of my career has been harder than I ever imagined.

Nick Kyrgios Apologises After Positive Cocaine Test

Nick Kyrgios has said he failed a drugs test after returning a positive result for cocaine

The former world No13 (pictured in January 2026) has endured a difficult string of seasons amid persistent injury

The former world No 13, pictured in January 2026, has battled through a difficult run of seasons affected by persistent injuries

‘I’ve always said I didn’t choose tennis – tennis chose me. But letting go of something that has been my whole life is one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to face. At times I’ve felt helpless and alone. 

‘None of that excuses what I did. 

‘However, the good news is that this has given me a wake up call. For the next 28 days, I’ll be stepping away from social media and public life while I focus on getting myself right. 

‘I’d ask that people respect my privacy during that time, and most importantly the privacy of my family. 

‘I’m sorry. I’ll do the work and come back better. Nick’. 

Kyrgios played in Mallorca at the ATP 250 event in late June, losing his singles match to fellow Australian Adam Walton in straight sets on June 22. 

The 31-year-old later withdrew from the doubles, where he and partner John-Patrick Smith had been due to play Austin Krajicek and Nikola Mektic the following day. 

Tennis’ integrity and anti-doping governing body the ITIA have since announced that Kyrgios has been handed a mandatory provisional suspension. 

‘The International Tennis Integrity Agency (ITIA) has provisionally suspended Australian tennis player Nick Kyrgios under the Tennis Anti-Doping Programme,’ a statement shared by the organisation read. 

’31-year-old Kyrgios provided a sample during an ATP 250 event in Mallorca, Spain, on 22 June 2026. On 17 July 2026, a World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA)-accredited laboratory confirmed the presence of benzoylecgonine, a metabolite of cocaine.

‘Cocaine is a stimulant and substance of abuse on the WADA Prohibited List and is banned in competition under the Tennis Anti-Doping Programme. If taken out of competition, reduced sanctions apply for substances of abuse.

The 31-year-old must now contend with the winding-up of his career, which he has explained has taken a toll on him (pictured in 2022)

The 31-year-old must now contend with the winding-up of his career, which he has explained has taken a toll on him (pictured in 2022)

‘Because of the nature of the substance, a provisional suspension is mandatory and has been in place since 4 August 2026.

‘Kyrgios, who reached a career-high world singles ranking of 13 in October 2016, has the right to appeal the provisional suspension, but has not done so to date.

‘As with all Tennis Anti-Doping Programme cases, ITIA support is available to Kyrgios.

‘While suspended, Kyrgios is not allowed to play in, coach at, or attend any events organised or sanctioned by World Tennis, WTA, ATP, the Grand Slams, or any national association.’

Before his suspension, Kyrgios’ appearances on the tour had been limited, with the combustible Australian star only taking part in a clutch of events due to his prohibitively high ranking of 919. 

Offered wildcards to play events in both singles and doubles, the former world No13 has not won a singles match since last year’s Miami Open. 

Testing positive for cocaine usage could carry a ban from the sport for up to two years, but there is precedence within the sport for a more lenient punishment in light of Kyrgios’ admission that he did take the substance. The ban could also be reduced if it was proved that the usage of the drug was not for performance-enhancing benefits. 

Former British star Dan Evans was handed a one-year ban in 2017 after testing positive at the Barcelona Open after keeping the drug in the pocket of his washbag. 

The International Tennis Federation accepted Evans’ explanation that he had become contaminated after the drug found its way onto his finger or medication in the bag accidentally. 

Kyrgios’ case represents the second high-profile anti-doping revelation in tennis in recent months, after 2023 Wimbledon champion Marketa Vondrousova was handed a four-year ban in June for refusing to take a drugs test. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Police Respond to Reported Shooting Near Courthouse Hosting Tupac Murder Trial

Las Vegas police were called to a reported shooting near the courthouse…

Texas Dad Accused of Killing Wife After Police Find Key Clue

A Texas man accused in the violent death of his estranged wife…

Trump Delays 50% Canada Tariffs 3 Days, Says Deal Reached

President Trump said Tuesday evening that he would postpone the launch of…

Missing Grandmother’s Family Reveals Chilling Texts Sent From Her Phone

Relatives of a New York grandmother of five who disappeared during a…

ESPN Founder Tribute Goes Awry as Pat McAfee Cuts Segment

ESPN’s on-air tribute to network founder Bill Rasmussen took an uncomfortable turn…

Tupac’s Family Leaves Court as Jury Sees Autopsy Photos

Former crime scene analyst Thomas Kern took the stand to discuss Tupac…

Where NYC’s Controversial ‘Big Brother’ Surveillance Cameras Are Watching You

A Different Kind of Flock Frenzy New York City may not have…

Tungsten Mine Reopens as Wars Fuel Critical Metal Demand

A tungsten-rich mine in Australia is coming back to life at a…

Byron Donalds Fires Back After Rival Labels Him a Slave in Heated Race Row

Rep. Byron Donalds scored a decisive victory over James Fishback in Florida’s…

Anthony Albanese’s International Travel Bill Reaches $4 Million for Taxpayers

Anthony Albanese’s taxpayer-funded travel bill topped $4million last financial year, with new…

UFO Scientist Claims US Government Is Concealing Bodies From Four Alien Races

A longtime scientist connected to the Pentagon’s UFO research efforts has claimed…

Search for Wealthy Mystery Man Unable to State His Own Name

A man at the center of a growing international identification mystery may…