A rapidly expanding wildfire pushed out of the Sierra foothills toward Reno early Sunday, prompting evacuation orders for nearly 14,000 homes as flames threatened populated areas.
The mandatory “GO NOW” evacuation zone extended to the edge of the University of Nevada campus after the Hawk Fire surged past 10,500 acres. By Sunday morning, officials said the blaze remained 0% contained.
Nevada Gov. Joe Lombardo declared a state of emergency in Washoe County and activated the Nevada National Guard, deploying two helicopter crews for aerial firefighting and 60 troops to assist law enforcement in protecting evacuated neighborhoods.
“This is an active and rapidly evolving situation, and I urge everyone in the affected areas to remain vigilant and follow the direction of local officials,” Lombardo said in a statement posted on social media. “The state is fully engaged, and we are working alongside local authorities and first responders to deploy every available resource to protect lives, safeguard communities, and keep Nevadans out of harm’s way.”
The fire appeared to have started Saturday before intensifying through the day, driven by strong gusts, low humidity and parched vegetation, according to Truckee Meadows Fire & Rescue, which joined the response near the California state line.
“The Hawk Fire is a very dynamic incident for us as it’s being driven by the winds,” Richard Edwards, chief of Truckee Meadows Fire & Rescue in Washoe County, said in a video posted to social media. “The wind-driven fires move very rapidly into our residential areas, creating a lot of challenges for our firefighters to save homes and protect lives.”
By Sunday, nearly 10,000 homes and businesses in Washoe County had lost power. Fire activity also forced closures along parts of U.S. Route 395, a key north-south corridor through the region.
“If you have been told to evacuate, please don’t wait!” Reno Mayor Hillary Schieve said in a statement shared on social media late Saturday. “Structures have already been burned in this fire and your life is more important than a building. Evacuating before the fire arrives also allows our firefighters to focus their efforts on battling the blaze.”
Washoe County emergency officials opened the Reno-Sparks Convention Center for evacuees, while directing residents with pets to separate sites designated for small and large animals.
Earlier this month, three wildfires fueled by hot, dry and windy conditions north of Reno forced more than 13,000 residents from their homes, according to the Nevada National Guard.

