Food banks are preparing for a surge as federal food aid could be paused in the government shutdown
Share this @internewscast.com

Food banks and pantries, already feeling the strain from recent federal program cutbacks, are now preparing for an influx of individuals seeking assistance as a potential halt in federal food aid looms due to a continuing government shutdown.

The demand surge is evident. On Saturday, Central Christian Church’s food pantry, located in downtown Indianapolis, found itself accommodating nearly double the usual number of visitors it serves daily.

“We’re seeing more people in need, and this trend has been on the rise since the economic downturn,” said volunteer Beth White. She emphasized that if the federal Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) funding is interrupted, “the situation is only going to worsen for many families.”

This concern is echoed by food charities nationwide, as they brace for the impact on low-income families who rely on SNAP. This program aids 40 million Americans, about one in eight, by helping them purchase groceries. Typically, the federal government loads funds onto debit cards monthly for use at approved retailers and farmers markets.

However, this assistance is poised to pause at the beginning of next month. The Trump administration announced on Friday that it would not tap into a $5 billion contingency fund to maintain food aid in November during the ongoing shutdown. Furthermore, states that step in to temporarily cover food assistance costs next month will not receive federal reimbursement.

“The reality is, the funds have dried up,” stated the U.S. Department of Agriculture. “As of now, no benefits will be distributed starting November 1.”

It’s the latest in a string of hardships placed on charitable food services, which are intended to help take up the slack for any shortcomings in federal food assistance – not replace government help altogether.

Charities have seen growing demand since the COVID-19 pandemic and the following inflation spike, and they took a hit earlier this year when the Trump administration ended programs that had provided more than $1 billion for schools and food banks to fight hunger.

Food pantry visitors are worried

Reggie Gibbs, of Indianapolis, just recently started receiving SNAP benefits, which meant he didn’t have to pick up as much from Central Christian Church’s food pantry when he stopped by on Saturday. But he lives alone, he said, and worries what families with children will do.

“I’ve got to harken back to the families, man,” he said. “What do you think they’re going to go through, you know?”

Martina McCallop, of Washington, D.C., said she’s worried about how she’ll feed her kids, ages 10 and 12, and herself, when the $786 they get in monthly SNAP benefits is gone.

“I have to pay my bills, my rent, and get stuff my kids need,” she said. “After that, I don’t have money for food.”

She’s concerned food pantries won’t be able to meet the sudden demand in a city with so many federal workers who aren’t being paid.

In Fairfax County, Virginia, where about 80,000 federal workers live, Food for Others executive director Deb Haynes said she doesn’t expect to run out of food entirely, largely because of donors.

“If we run short and I need to ask for help, I know I will receive it,” Haynes said.

Food banks feel the increased demand

Food pantries provide about 1 meal to every 9 provided by SNAP, according to Feeding America, a nationwide network of food banks. They get the food they distribute through donations from people, businesses and some farmers. They also get food from U.S. Department of Agriculture programs and sometimes buy food with contributions and grant funding.

“When you take SNAP away, the implications are cataclysmic,” Feeding America CEO Claire Babineaux-Fontenot said. “I assume people are assuming that somebody’s going to stop it before it gets too bad. Well, it’s already too bad. And it’s getting worse.”

Some distributors are already seeing startling low food supplies. George Matysik, executive director of Share Food Program in the Philadelphia area, said a state government budget impasse had already cut funding for his program.

“I’ve been here seven years,” Matysik said. “I’ve never seen our warehouses as empty as they are right now.”

States scramble to fill in where they can

New York Gov. Kathy Hochul said she is fast tracking $30 million in emergency food assistance funds to “help keep food pantries stocked,” and New Mexico Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham said her state would expedite $8 million that had been allocated for food banks.

Officials in Louisiana, Vermont and Virginia said last week they would seek to keep food aid flowing to recipients in their states, even if the federal program is stalled.

Other states aren’t in a position to offer much help, especially if they won’t be reimbursed by the federal government. Arkansas officials, for example, have been pointing recipients to find food pantries, or other charitable groups – even friends and family – for help.

.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
White House warns Iran it'd be 'very wise' to cut a deal now

White House Urges Iran to Seize Diplomatic Opportunity: ‘Very Wise’ to Negotiate Now

WASHINGTON — In a bold display of defiance, Iran has joined forces…
UN nuclear watchdog chief urges US to secure Iran deal

Top UN Nuclear Watchdog Urges Swift US Action to Revive Iran Deal: A Crucial Step for Global Security

The chief of the United Nations’ nuclear oversight body emphasized the urgency…
11 arrested in France for the beating death of far-right student

French Authorities Detain 11 in Connection with Fatal Assault on Student Linked to Far-Right Movement

PARIS — French authorities have apprehended 11 individuals in connection with the…
Truck launched 100 feet into air crashes through Oregon family home

Truck Catapults 100 Feet, Crashes into Oregon Home

Astonishingly, a truck soared approximately 100 feet into the air before crashing…
Fourth measles case confirmed in LA county, community urged to take precautions

Urgent Alert: Fourth Measles Case Hits LA County – Essential Precautions You Need to Take Now!

A fourth instance of measles has surfaced in Los Angeles County, prompting…
Hiker dies of hypothermia after slipping off trail near summit of New York's tallest mountain

Tragic Hypothermia Incident Claims Hiker’s Life After Slip Near New York’s Highest Peak Summit

A tragic incident unfolded as a 21-year-old woman from New Jersey succumbed…
Mystery as groundbreaking Caltech genius found gunned down on porch of SoCal home

Tragic Mystery Unfolds: Renowned Caltech Innovator Discovered Fatally Shot Outside Southern California Residence

A prominent astrophysicist from Caltech met a tragic end this week when…
President Trump says an Iran attack decision likely 'over the next, probably 10 days'

Trump Anticipates Decision on Potential Iran Strike Within 10 Days

President Donald Trump has announced he is on the verge of deciding…
NYC's most poop-filled areas revealed -- as dog waste complaints hit record highs

New Data Reveals NYC Neighborhoods with Highest Dog Waste Complaints Amid Record Surge

Complaints are mounting at an alarming rate. A sidewalk in New York…
EPA to reform Biden's $5B electric school bus program by providing more fuel alternatives

EPA to Enhance Biden’s $5 Billion Electric School Bus Initiative with Expanded Fuel Options

WASHINGTON — The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is planning to revamp an…
California avalanche that killed 8 is deadliest in state history

Tragic Avalanche Claims Eight Lives in California’s Most Lethal Snow Disaster

The tragic avalanche that occurred near Lake Tahoe, California, this week has…
South Carolina mother Leigh McAlister disappeared during church conference in Atlanta found at hospital

Missing South Carolina Mom Found Safe at Atlanta Hospital After Church Conference Disappearance

A South Carolina mother vanished under puzzling circumstances during a church conference…