Venezuelan president and wife on US warship heading to New York. Here's what to know
Share this @internewscast.com
US President Donald Trump announced early on Saturday morning (Saturday night AEDT) that the US carried out a “large-scale strike against Venezuela” and that President Nicolas Maduro and his wife had been captured, a stunning development that plunged the country into uncertainty after weeks of spiraling tensions.
“The United States of America has successfully carried out a large scale strike against Venezuela and its leader, President Nicolás Maduro, who has been, along with his wife, captured and flown out of the Country,” he wrote on Truth Social.
Venezuela requested an urgent meeting of the United Nations Security Council in response to the attack, Foreign Minister Yván Gil Pinto said.
The USS Iwo Jima, which US President Donald Trump says the Venezuelan president and his wife were aboard on their way to New York.(Luis Jaimes/AFP/Getty Images via CNN Newsource)

Ursula von der Leyen, President of the European Commission, expressed unwavering support for Venezuela in a recent post on X. She emphasized the commission’s commitment to backing the Venezuelan people and advocating for a peaceful and democratic transition, underscoring that any resolution must adhere strictly to international law and the United Nations Charter.

In contrast, Venezuela’s allies, Russia and Iran, have openly criticized the United States for its recent actions. The Russian Foreign Ministry labeled the U.S. move as an “act of armed aggression” against Venezuela, dismissing any justifications provided as “untenable.”

A statement from the Russian Foreign Ministry reiterated their solidarity with the Venezuelan populace and endorsed the Bolivarian leadership’s efforts to safeguard national interests and sovereignty. The ministry firmly stated that Venezuela should retain the right to determine its future without external interference, especially military interventions.

Echoing these sentiments, Iran’s Foreign Ministry also condemned the attack, asserting that it violates Venezuela’s sovereignty and territorial integrity, as well as the principles of the UN Charter, according to a report from the Iranian state news outlet, Press TV.

The future of Venezuela remains uncertain. According to the country’s constitution, Vice President Delcy Rodríguez is poised to assume power following any changes in leadership.

What happens next in Venezuela is far from clear. The country’s constitution states that power will pass to Maduro’s vice president, Delcy Rodríguez.

But the future of the regime is in doubt, and the opposition – within and outside the country – will likely see this moment as a critical opportunity.

Venezuela’s opposition says the rightful president is the exiled politician Edmundo Gonzalez.

Amid the uncertainty, there are a range of scenarios.

If the constitutional path – Article 233 – is followed, in the “absolute absence” of the president, the executive vice president – Delcy Rodriguez – takes over and calls for an election within 30 days. The newly elected president then serves a full six-year term.

The regime collapses and its senior figures resign or flee, the most likely opposition candidate is Edmundo González Urrutia, who ran in the 2024 election. Gonzales, an academic and long-time diplomat, is now in exile in Spain. He is supported by the recent winner of the Nobel Peace Prize, democratic activist María Corina Machado. Speaking in Oslo last month after receiving the prize, Machado said her movement was preparing for “an orderly and peaceful transition” once Maduro was gone. She said in December that González had invited her to be vice-president and that “the vast majority” of the police and armed forces would follow the new administration’s orders once the political transition began.

There could also be a military takeover. But the current defence minister, Vladimir Padrino López, has spoken out against the US strikes, saying Venezuela would resist the presence of foreign troops in the country. “This invasion represents the greatest outrage the country has suffered,” he said.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
Wayne Bennett has endorsed the landmark changes to State of Origin’s selection criteria but has warned Australian rugby league chiefs not to alter core eligibility rules

Wayne Bennett Urges State of Origin Leaders to Maintain Key Rule Amidst Significant Eligibility Reforms

Wayne Bennett has given his support to the groundbreaking modifications in the…

Latest Updates: The Ongoing Search for Missing Nancy Guthrie

In brief Nancy Guthrie was reported missing early this month. A promising…
The robots at the Chinese New Year Gala performed alongside several child performers in a routine lasting almost five minutes.

Robots Execute Backflips and Advanced Martial Arts in Dazzling Display

Robots performing backflips and wielding nunchucks have wowed audiences during China’s annual…

Unexpected Canine Competitor Steals the Show at Olympic Sprint Event

In Brief A Czechoslovakian wolfdog named Nazgul bolted onto the track during…
Hacker scam online

Massive Data Breach Exposes Personal Information of Hundreds of Thousands of Australians

Hundreds of thousands of Australians could have had highly personal information released…
Minister for Home Affairs, Minister for Immigration and Citizenship, Minister for Cyber Security, Minister for the Arts and Leader of the House Tony Burke during the presentation and motion for second reading of the Combatting Antisemitism, Hate and Extremism (Firearms and Customs Laws) Bill 2026, in the House of Representatives at Parliament House in Canberra on Tuesday 20 January 2026. fedpol Photo: Alex Ellinghausen

Controversial Australian with ISIS Ties Temporarily Barred from Returning Home

Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke confirmed an exclusion order had been taken…
Nurse assaulted in alleged racist attack at Geelong gym

Nurse Targeted in Suspected Racially Motivated Assault at Geelong Gym

A young nurse has been left with a broken nose after being…

Surge in Labor Data Signals Imminent Interest Rate Hike: Expert Insights

In Brief Australia’s unemployment rate held steady at 4.1 per cent for…
Sydney had the nation's highest temperature just before midday today.

Sydney’s Sizzling Heatwave Ends Abruptly with Unexpected Downpour: A Weather Rollercoaster

Sydney was the hottest place in Australia briefly today before parts of…
A police investigation is underway after this disturbing note was sent to Lakemba Mosque

Controversial Letter Sent to Australia’s Largest Mosque on the Eve of Ramadan

A chilling death threat sent to Australia’s largest mosque has heightened tension…
coles trolley

Court Testimony Highlights Supermarket Giant’s Genuine Commitment to Customer Care

The supermarket colossus, Coles, is embroiled in a storm of controversy over…
US ready for military strike this weekend, sources say

US Prepared for Potential Military Action This Weekend, Insider Sources Reveal

The US military is prepared to strike Iran as early as this…