5.9k Share this
Writer and director of Belfast, Kenneth Branagh, has opened up and discussed the inspiration behind the award-winning, critically-acclaimed story told, in this breathtaking movie.
In the clip above – exclusive to Female First and included in the special features of the film’s home release – Branagh reveals that Belfast is in fact a direct reflection of some of the circumstances faced by his family, during his childhood years growing up in the titular city, back in the 1960s.
“At this point in my life, I felt that it was time for me to tell a personal story about my family’s experience,” he explains, whilst also pointing out that a lot of the circumstances explored in the film are just as relevant in today’s world, as they were back in that time period.
One boy’s childhood is put under the spotlight, as a poignant tale of love, laughter and loss is detailed amid the music and social tumult of Belfast in the late 1960s.
Buddy’s family lives in a largely Protestant district with just a few Catholic families, and whilst things at first appear peaceful, his life is soon turned upside down and everything he thought he knew is tossed out of the window.
The movie stars Caitríona Balfe, Judi Dench, Jamie Dornan, Ciarán Hinds, Colin Morgan and Jude Hill.
Exclusive Bonus Features available on Blu-ray, DVD and Digital Download:
- Alternate Ending featuring Kenneth Branagh – Commentary with Writer/Director Kenneth Branagh
- Deleted Scenes – Commentary with Writer/Director Kenneth Branagh
- A City of Stories: The Making of BELFAST – Go behind the scenes of BELFAST with cast and crew to learn more about the characters, filming location and Kenneth’s childhood in Ireland.
- Everyone’s Inner Child – Kenneth Branagh, Jamie Dornan, Caitríona Balfe, Ciarán Hinds, and Judi Dench reminisce about their childhoods.
- Feature Commentary with Writer/Director Kenneth Branagh
Hailed by critics as a “masterpiece” (The Times), Belfast comes from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment, and will be available to own on Blu-ray and DVD from April 25th, 2022. The movie is also available to purchase via Digital Download, now.