Inside Roberto De Zerbi's dramatic Marseille exit: Reasons behind former Brighton manager's departure revealed - and the personal sacrifice he made
Share this @internewscast.com

According to reports from France, Roberto De Zerbi’s relationship with his players had deteriorated, and the Italian coach anticipated his departure from Marseille following a 5-0 defeat by Paris Saint-Germain.

The 46-year-old Italian left the French club immediately on Tuesday, with an official announcement of his exit made early in the morning.

RMC Sport revealed that both De Zerbi and the club’s management reached a consensus that his position was no longer viable shortly after the heavy loss to PSG on Sunday.

The sports outlet, referencing a ‘close friend’ of the former Brighton manager, reported that De Zerbi realized his tenure in France was ending ‘on the night of the Paris match’, where he found himself without answers and unable to comprehend his team.

There were claims that he felt ‘devastated’ by the players’ attitude, particularly after the team suffered a disappointing early exit from the Champions League, following a 3-0 defeat at Club Brugge on the final group stage matchday.

The reasons behind Roberto De Zerbi's departure from Marseille have been revealed

The reasons behind Roberto De Zerbi’s departure from Marseille have been revealed

The Italian left the club with immediate effect, with his last match being a 5-0 loss at PSG

The Italian left the club with immediate effect, with his last match being a 5-0 loss at PSG

RMC Sport indicated that tensions with the players had increased, though it is believed that Marseille’s leadership also held the squad partly responsible for De Zerbi’s departure.

De Zerbi was under contract until the summer of 2027, having signed a three-year deal in June 2024, but the French outlet reported he did not asked to be paid out in full.

He has been compensated for the remainder of this season but instead lobbied for his coaching staff to be given greater compensation.

A Marseille statement read: ‘Following discussions between all stakeholders in the club’s management – the owner, president, director of football, and coach – it was decided to make a change at the helm of the first team.

‘This was a difficult collective decision, taken after careful consideration in the best interests of the club, in order to respond to the sporting challenges of the end of the season.

‘Olympique de Marseille would like to thank Roberto De Zerbi for his dedication, commitment, professionalism, and seriousness, which were particularly evident in the team’s second-place finish in the 2024/25 season.

‘The club wishes him all the best for the rest of his career.’

De Zerbi has been linked with the Manchester United job with the club looking to appoint a new head coach in the summer.

He was interviewed by Ineos in May 2024 and considered a leading contender to replace Erik ten Hag before the appointment of Ruben Amorim. 

Tottenham had also been touted as a potential destination but Daily Mail Sport understands it is unlikely Spurs will move for the Italian after the sacking of Thomas Frank.

De Zerbi, who guided Marseille to automatic Champions League qualification in his first season in charge, is believed to be keen on a return to the Premier League.

Marseille sporting director, Medhi Benatia, and club president, Pablo Longoria, are said to have told the players they need to prove their worth as they look to revive their season.

They are fourth in Ligue 1, three points behind the Champions League places, and are already out of Europe.

Marseille were dumped out the Champions League with a 3-0 defeat to Club Brugge last month

Marseille were dumped out the Champions League with a 3-0 defeat to Club Brugge last month

Benatia is also thought to have clashed with Mason Greenwood, who has been publicly praised for his efforts in France by De Zerbi.

Benatia and the former Man United winger are said to openly ignore one another whenever they cross paths, with the sporting director often a vocal critic of the 24-year-old both on and off the pitch, according to L’Equipe.

The sporting director is thought to have been angry that Greenwood shirked a commercial responsibility last summer with little concerns for the repercussions.

De Zerbi, however, publicly backed Greenwood, claiming his player has become ‘world-class’ after building on ‘what his mother and father taught him’.

The former United forward, 24, left Old Trafford under controversial circumstances in the summer of 2024 but revived his career under De Zerbi, proving an integral part of his first team.

Greenwood was arrested in January 2022 and charged with attempted rape, controlling and coercive behaviour and assault while playing at United, which led to him being banished from the squad and dropped by England’s national team.

Charges were eventually dropped by the Crown Prosecution Service in February 2023 after key witnesses withdrew their involvement, but Greenwood remained in exile at Manchester United before eventually being sold for £26.7million to Marseille.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

James Milner Sets Record in Aston Villa’s 1-0 Victory Over Brighton, Offers Crucial Guidance to Struggling Carlos Baleba

This encounter showcased the contrasting journeys of two midfielders: one just embarking…

Cardi B Breaks Silence on Stefon Diggs Breakup Rumors with Fiery Onstage Comment

Cardi B made headlines on Sunday night as she publicly addressed her…

West Ham Assistant Manager Delivers Blow to Man United Fan’s 500-Day Haircut Hopes

West Ham’s assistant coach, Paco Jemez, recently took a playful jab at…

Increase in Free-Kick and Long-Range Goals: David Raya Highlights Goalkeepers’ Challenges with the Puma Ball, as Dominik Szoboszlai Continues to Shine

Gianluigi Donnarumma stood almost motionless as the ball soared toward him, only…

LA Olympics Leader Casey Wasserman Faces Resignation Pressure from Mayor Karen Bass Following Epstein Controversy

Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass has urged Casey Wasserman to resign from…