Abrego Garcia’s lawyers seek his delayed release from jail
Share this @internewscast.com

Left: Kilmar Abrego Garcia, a Salvadoran citizen who was living in Maryland and deported to El Salvador by the Trump administration, speaks in a hotel restaurant in San Salvador, El Salvador, Thursday, April 17, 2025. (Press Office Sen. Van Hollen, via AP). Right: President Donald Trump arrives for a formal dinner at the Paleis Huis ten Bosch ahead of the NATO summit in The Hague, Netherlands, Tuesday, June 24, 2025. (AP Photo/Markus Schreiber).

The Department of Justice is once again attempting to incarcerate Kilmar Abrego Garcia, a Maryland father who was wrongfully deported and accused of human smuggling. The DOJ contends that if Abrego Garcia disagrees with this decision, he is entitled to request a bond hearing, despite the government previously asserting that such hearings are not applicable in similar cases.

According to Law&Crime, Abrego Garcia was deported from Maryland in March and detained in El Salvador’s Terrorism Confinement Center (CECOT). The deportation, initially carried out under the Trump administration, was later acknowledged as an “administrative error,” prompting an order for his return, which was executed in June. This occurred shortly after Abrego Garcia was indicted in Tennessee on human smuggling charges related to a 2022 traffic stop. Abrego Garcia has argued that the charges were retaliatory, stemming from his civil lawsuit that embarrassed the U.S. government.

Recently, U.S. District Judge Paula Xinis of Maryland approved Abrego Garcia’s petition for release from ICE custody. She criticized the Trump administration for unlawfully detaining him and misleading the court regarding Costa Rica’s readiness to accept him as a refugee. Judge Xinis concluded there was no valid order for his removal from the U.S.

In a submission filed Sunday, the Trump administration’s response to Abrego Garcia’s emergency release request revealed that Judge Xinis found a 2019 judicial oversight. The oversight involved the failure to explicitly state “ordered removed” concerning Abrego Garcia’s removal to El Salvador. Consequently, Judge Xinis determined that Abrego Garcia was never officially ordered removed and lacks a final removal order.

“This means he is not currently removable from the United States,” the DOJ stated in their filing. “However, it does not imply he is exempt from all forms of detention.”

The DOJ clarified that while the absence of a final removal order prevents one specific type of detention, it does not eliminate all detention possibilities.

“If there is no final order of removal, immigration proceedings are ongoing, and Petitioner is subject to pre-final order detention under the separate legal authority in [other federal immigration statutes],” the filing said. “This Court’s new TRO precluding detention therefore has no legal basis, and must be immediately dissolved.”

Those other statutes, according to the DOJ, “authorize detention of aliens during removal proceedings” such as Abrego Garcia’s.

“Nothing about this Court’s order somehow shields Petitioner from the ordinary detention rules that apply to all aliens in removal proceedings,” the DOJ filing says. “Rather, the Supreme Court has expressly found that detention remains under [federal immigration law] until there is an ‘administratively final removal order.’”

If Abrego Garcia isn’t happy with the decision to detain him under the relevant statutes, the government says, he could request a bond hearing.

“An alien who is subject to discretionary detention may be released on bond, either by an ICE officer or by an IJ at a bond hearing,” the filing says. “At a bond hearing, the burden is on the alien to justify release by showing that he or she is not a flight risk or a danger. An alien may appeal the bond decision to the [Board of Immigration Appeals].”

However, in July, the DOJ announced a policy ending bond eligibility for people in ICE detention. As Law&Crime has previously reported, ICE instructed all agents to deny bond for anyone who entered the country without “inspection.” Under the terms of the policy, such immigrants are to be detained “for the duration of their removal proceedings” unless granted parole — a rarer form of release. A lawsuit from the ACLU says that the policy will result in tens of thousands of people being “jailed indefinitely while their immigration cases are considered for months or years on end.”

The government, despite its announced policy opposing bond, appears to acknowledge that Abrego Garcia does indeed still have “the right to an independent assessment of whether, even assuming he is detained again, he may be released on bond.”

Even if Abrego Garcia is denied bond, he’s not out of options — according to the government, he can still choose to leave the country.

“If an alien is denied bond, the alien is always free to terminate detention by accepting a final order of removal, qualifying for voluntary departure, or (in some instances) simply leaving the United States,” the filing says in a footnote, adding that “an alien who files a petition for review in the court of appeals after the BIA has entered a final removal order can depart or be removed from the United States and continue to challenge the removal order from abroad.”

Notably, Abrego Garcia has apparently been invited to leave the U.S. for Costa Rica — a fact the Trump administration had denied, leading Xinis to shred the government for “affirmatively” misleading the court on the issue.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Robbers’ Heist Hits a Snag: Cash Overflow Leaves Thieves in a Bind

A daring heist unfolded as a gang of robbers kidnapped the manager…

Shocking Holiday Betrayal: Man Secretly Spikes Girlfriend’s Coffee with Meth During Christmas Morning

Share A man from Kentucky has been arrested over allegations of tampering…

Mother Discovers Horrific Attack on Daughter, Both Suffer Injuries in Violent Incident

Background: A section of the 700 block of South Arthur Avenue in…

Judge Condemns ICE for Defying Court Orders: Demands Immediate Release of Unlawfully Detained Immigrant

Inset: President Donald Trump walks from Marine One after arriving on the…

Defiant Killer Flaunts ‘People Person’ Persona During Sentencing for Double Murder of Neurosurgeon and Friend

Inset: Dr. Devon Hoover (Verheyden Funeral Home). Background: Desmond Burks waves for…

Tragic Hit-and-Run: Driver Mistakes Tow Truck Operator for Roadkill in Fatal Crash

Inset: A photo of Hussein Farhat is shown at a memorial for…

Melbourne Stabbing Incident: Two Men Reportedly Attacked in Violent Altercation

Authorities have launched an intensive search for suspects following the alleged stabbing…

Tragic Shooting at Hookah Lounge Leaves Two Dead After Couple’s Ejection

Background: Myst Hookah + Ultra Lounge in San Antonio, Texas (Google Maps).…

Unexpected Crime Scene: Customers’ Cars Trapped at Repair Shop Amidst Ongoing Investigation

A devastating fire has engulfed a mechanic shop in Perth, obliterating over…

Local Man Detained for Allegedly Threatening Woman with Firearm

Reported by Staff GAINESVILLE, Fla. – Nineteen-year-old Tristin Zyler Miller found himself…

Shocking Home Intrusion: Man Arrested After Break-In Over Ex-Girlfriend’s Rejection

Share An Oklahoma man has been accused of breaking into his ex-girlfriend’s…

Local Trenton Employee Accused of Laptop Theft from Workplace

Staff report HIGH SPRINGS, Fla. – A 46-year-old resident of Trenton, Keith…