Staff report
GAINESVILLE, Fla. – Kenneth Ellis Wetherington, 60, will serve 14 months in federal prison after being sentenced on one count of possession of a firearm and ammunition by a convicted felon, federal officials announced. John P. Heekin, United States Attorney for the Northern District of Florida, announced the sentence.
U.S. Attorney Heekin said, “Keeping firearms out of the hands of dangerous criminals, like this serial felon, is necessary to ensure the safety of our communities, and my office will continue to aggressively prosecute cases like these to ensure our citizens can enjoy the safe streets they deserve.”
Original arrest
The case began at about 10:15 p.m. on November 21, 2025, when Gainesville Police Department officers were called to the 100 block of NW 9th Terrace after reports of gunfire. Witnesses told police the shots came from the parking lot of the building at 102 NW 9th Terrace. According to one witness, Wetherington had been arguing with an unidentified man when the dispute escalated and Wetherington fired a pistol.
Officers later contacted Wetherington at his apartment in the same building where the shots were reported. A witness told investigators that Wetherington had admitted he had a gun during the argument and had fired several rounds. Police reportedly recovered three .40 S&W Federal shell casings from the parking lot.
Investigators obtained a search warrant for Wetherington’s apartment and reportedly found a handgun loaded with six .40 S&W Federal rounds. Authorities said the ammunition matched the shell casings recovered outside.
Police also reportedly found an additional loaded magazine for the handgun, a broken shotgun, 28 rounds of .40 S&W Federal ammunition, and 26 rounds of 12-gauge shotgun ammunition. Wetherington is prohibited from possessing firearms or ammunition because of his eleven felony convictions, which include a prior conviction for possession of a firearm by a convicted felon.
“This sentence is a reminder that there are consequences for violating the law,” said Gainesville Police Chief Nelson Moya. “We will continue to work with our federal partners to hold those who illegally possess firearms accountable and help keep our community safe.”
The case involved an investigation by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives and the Gainesville Police Department. Assistant United States Attorney Adam Hapner prosecuted the case.
Project Safe Neighborhoods (PSN) is the Department of Justice’s nationwide initiative that brings federal, state, local, and tribal law enforcement, prosecutors, and other public safety partners together to coordinate efforts to combat violent crime and make communities safe. Coordinated by U.S. Attorneys’ offices in each of the 94 federal districts, PSN is tailored to particular communities to strategically address specific violent crime and public safety challenges. As a key component of Operation Take Back America, PSN serves a central role in the Department’s commitment to make our country safe. PSN emphasizes three core principles: rapid federal response to violent crime and criminal offenders; strong, strategic partnerships among law enforcement at all levels; and accountability and deterrence through the prosecution of the most serious, readily provable offenses and other strategies. These efforts complement and strengthen President Trump’s Homeland Security Task Forces, ensuring a comprehensive federal response to the most pressing public safety issues facing communities.