Share this @internewscast.com

LOS ANGELES (AP) — The “prime suspect” was arrested Tuesday in the 25-year-old disappearance of a California college student and the San Luis Obispo sheriff planned to announce “major developments” in the case.

Paul Flores, 44, who was the last person seen with Kristin Smart before she vanished in 1996, was taken into custody in the Los Angeles area. His father, Ruben Flores, 80, was arrested as an accessory at his Arroyo Grande home, where sheriff’s investigators conducted another search.

Defense attorney Robert Sanger confirmed Paul Flores was arrested in the Smart case, though no details were immediately available on the charges he faces. Sanger declined further comment.

A missing poster for freshman college student Kristin Smart is seen. Smart was declared legally dead in 2002, despite the fac



A missing poster for freshman college student Kristin Smart is seen. Smart was declared legally dead in 2002, despite the fact that her body has never been recovered. 

Ruben Flores was booked on suspicion of accessory after a felony, according to San Luis Obispo County jail records.

Smart, 19, of Stockton, vanished in May 1996 while returning to a dorm at California Polytechnic State University in San Luis Obispo after a party. She was seen with Flores, who was a student at the time.

Sheriff Ian Parkinson scheduled a news conference at 2 p.m. at the Cal Poly campus to discuss “major developments in the investigation” into Smart’s disappearance.

A spokesman for the Smart family said “this is an extremely emotional day” and they would issue a statement later in the afternoon.

The news comes about a month after the sheriff named Flores as the “prime suspect” in the case and investigators searched his father’s home and property using ground-penetrating radar and cadaver dogs.

Investigators served another search warrant Tuesday at the home of Ruben Flores about 15 miles (24 kilometers) south of the university on California’s Central Coast, KSBY-TV reported. They appeared to be disassembling a deck outside the home and the sound of power saws and drills could be heard whining in the background.

Search warrants were served last year on Paul Flores’ home in the San Pedro area of Los Angeles and at other locations in California and Washington state. Investigators conducted digs on the campus in 2016.

Paul Flores has remained mum through the years, invoking his Fifth Amendment right to not answer questions before a grand jury and in a deposition for a lawsuit that was brought against him.

He was arrested in February on a weapons charge and released on bond.

Source: huffpost

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Alabama Mystery: 3-Year-Old Vanishes From Bedroom, Mother Appeals for Help

Authorities in Alabama are actively seeking information to locate a missing 3-year-old…

Gainesville Man Charged with Assault After Allegedly Breaking Woman’s Arm in Violent Incident

Staff Report GAINESVILLE, Fla. – Authorities have taken Tobreis Corney Fields, 37,…

High-Speed Pursuit: Man Who Threatened Trump Escalates Tensions with Deputy Car Ramming

Main: President Donald Trump delivers the Memorial Day Address at the 157th…

Chilling Beach Assault: Man Arrested for Attempted Murder After Vicious Ocean Attack

Left: Said Alexander Hernandez Gonzalez (Martin County Sheriff”s Office). Right: Tiger Shore…

Tragic Valentine’s Day Shooting: US Soldier and Ukrainian Refugee Fatally Shot by Ex-Boyfriend

Share A tragic Valentine’s Day incident in North Carolina led to the…

Ex-Flip Factory Worker Arrested for Allegedly Distributing Extra Game Cards

GAINESVILLE, Fla. – Kyle Sebastian Fowler, aged 38, found himself in legal…

Pastor’s Wife Released on Bond Amidst Shocking Child Abuse Accusations: A Community in Turmoil

In a troubling case involving a South Carolina pastor and his wife,…

Shocking Heist Gone Wrong: Masked Robber Accidentally Sets Himself Ablaze

Authorities are currently on the hunt for two men following a dramatic…

Tragic Shooting: Off-Duty Officer Allegedly Shoots Wife Amid Divorce Proceedings, Children Present

Share A tragic incident has unfolded in upstate New York, where a…

Family Speaks Out on Ordeal of Wrongfully Abducted Man

The family of an 85-year-old Sydney grandfather kidnapped in a case of…

Tragic Murder-Suicide at Rhode Island Youth Hockey Game Leaves 3 Dead: Community in Shock

A father attending a youth hockey game on Monday turned a family…

Video Game Obsession Turns Violent: Son Pulls Assault Rifle on Mother Amid Heated Entitlement Dispute

Insets: Beau Lieurance (Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office/KSAZ/YouTube). Background: The Arizona home where…