Trump admin to settle Ashli Babbitt wrongful death lawsuit

Ashli Babbitt (X, formerly Twitter).

The Trump administration is preparing to resolve a multimillion-dollar wrongful death lawsuit filed by Aaron Babbitt, Ashli Babbitt’s husband. Ashli was shot and killed while participating in the Capitol breach during the January 6 riot.

Lawyer Aaron Babbitt and the Justice Department’s Civil Division’s attorneys verified that they have reached a preliminary agreement to settle the lawsuit concerning Ashli Babbitt’s death. This update was shared during a Friday hearing in Washington, D.C., as reported by the CBS affiliate WUSA in Washington, D.C.

The report states that Robert Sticht, a lawyer for Judicial Watch, a conservative activist organization representing Aaron Babbitt, informed the court that a provisional agreement had been reached. Nonetheless, further discussions are ongoing about specific settlement details. As of Friday, no formal documents had been signed, and the specifics of the agreement were not disclosed.

Friday’s emergency hearing was called by U.S. District Judge Ana C. Reyes after Aaron Babbitt’s former attorney, Terrell N. Roberts, said he was notified about a possible settlement in the case and filed a motion for a temporary restraining order, claiming he is entitled to 25% of whatever amount is paid to the plaintiff.

Love true crime? Sign up for our newsletter, The Law&Crime Docket, to get the latest real-life crime stories delivered right to your inbox.

In the filing, Roberts said that Aaron Babbitt on Jan. 18, 2021, signed a written retainer to have Roberts represent him in “all civil claims” stemming form his wife’s death for a 40% contingency fee on any “money paid by way of settlement.” Roberts asserted that he performed “substantial legal services” for Aaron Babbitt before terminating his representation “for cause” on Feb. 25, 2022.

After having “cooperated” in Aaron Babbitt’s “transition to another attorney,” Roberts asserted that he was still entitled to some portion of any settlement paid to Babbitt’s husband and estate.

Roberts said he filed the motion after being notified of a possible settlement by a journalist from a “national mainstream news outlet” who reached him seeking comment after learning about the settlement from “a very reliable source.”

As Law&Crime previously reported, Babbitt and other supporters of then-President Donald Trump raided the Capitol Building on Jan. 6, 2021, after Trump continued to amplify the baseless claim that he actually won the 2020 presidential election, saying that victory had been stolen from him.

“Ashli traveled alone from San Diego to Washington, D.C. on January 5, 2021, to attend the Women for America First (aka Save America) rally the next morning at the Ellipse, located just south of the White House,” the complaint stated. “The rally featured President Trump and prominent conservative speakers. Ashli loved her country and wanted to show her support for President Trump’s America First policies and to see and hear the president speak live while he remained in office. Ashli did not go to Washington as part of a group or for any unlawful or nefarious purpose. She was there to exercise what she believed were her God-given, American liberties and freedoms.”

As seen on video, members of the crowd smashed away at the barricaded doors.

“He’s got a gun!” a man can be heard saying in footage of the incident.

As Babbitt attempted to climb through one of the broken glass panels, a Capitol officer opened fire and struck her in the shoulder area. She fell backward, and later died from her injuries.

The Justice Department under the Biden administration had not indicated any plans to settle the case with Babbitt’s husband prior to Trump taking office in January.

You May Also Like

Father Killed Daughter, 14, Her Brother and Shot Girlfriend at Home: Police

Inset left: Zion Savion Terry (Obituary). Inset middle: Levy Nelson (Richmond Police…

Woman Shot Ex 17 Times Over His Spiritual Demons, Police Say

Inset: Rebecca Jane Mryglod (Cleburne County Sheriff’s Office). Background: Cleburne County Sheriff’s…

Homeless Man Arrested in Trash Can Lid Attack on Elderly Woman

Staff report GAINESVILLE, Fla. – Gainesville police arrested 28-year-old Chadrick Rodell Smith…

Authorities Say Couple Left 3 Kids in Filthy Black Mold-Filled Home, Admitted It Was Bad and Refused Police Entry

Inset, left to right: Timothy MacDonald and Lana MacDonald (Pike County Detention…

Tree-Trimming Worker’s Head Crushed by Truck in Horseplay: Cops

Christopher Crimmins (Dakota County Jail). A Minnesota man is facing a manslaughter…

Federal Judge Tosses Trump Administration Lawsuit Seeking to Force Michigan Officials to Cooperate With ICE

FILE – President Donald Trump speaks in the East Room of the…

Mom, Boyfriend Charged in Toddler’s Shoe-Print Bruise Death

Left to right: Devorah Perez and Celso Edison Vicente Y Vicente (Canton…