Trump considers pardoning men who plotted to kidnap Whitmer
Share this @internewscast.com

Clockwise, from left: President Donald Trump listens as Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer addresses members of the Michigan National Guard at Selfridge Air National Guard Base on Tuesday, April 29, 2025, in Harrison Township, Michigan. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon), Barry Croft Jr. (Delaware Department of Justice via AP File), Adam Dean Fox (Kent County Sheriff via AP file).

After multiple amicable encounters with Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, President Donald Trump indicated the possibility of pardoning the individuals found guilty of plotting her kidnapping.

“I’m going to examine it; I will review it — it’s been brought to my notice. I watched the trial. To me, it resembled something of a railroad job, to be truthful with you,” Trump told a reporter in the Oval Office when asked about pardoning the convicted individuals. “It appeared to me that some people made foolish comments, you know? They were drinking and I believe they said foolish things,” he mentioned on Wednesday.

While the reporter asked the president whether he will pardon the men “accused” of plotting to kidnap Whitmer in 2020, four men were actually convicted in the case.

Love true crime? Sign up for our newsletter, The Law&Crime Docket, to get the latest real-life crime stories delivered right to your inbox.

In December 2022, Adam Dean Fox, 39 at the time, was sentenced to 16 years in prison followed by five years of supervised release for conspiracy to kidnap Whitmer and conspiracy to use weapons of mass destruction against persons or property. Barry Croft Jr., then 47, was given over 19 years for the same charges — as well as knowingly possessing an unregistered destructive device, “which was a commercial firework refashioned with shrapnel to serve as a hand-grenade,” the Justice Department said in a press release.

Two other men, Ty Garbin and Kaleb Franks, received shorter sentences after pleading guilty for their roles in the kidnapping plot, while an additional two men originally charged were acquitted.

“A lot of people are asking me that question from both sides, actually,” Trump continued on Wednesday, casting doubt on the legitimacy of the trial. “A lot of people think they got railroaded.”

Whitmer responded on Thursday to the president’s comments by saying she was “very disappointed.”

“(I’m) very disappointed that they are even considering it, frankly,” she told WOOD in Grand Rapids, Michigan. “When the president was shot at in Pennsylvania, I was one of the first people on either side of the aisle to condemn it. We have to condemn political violence, no matter who it comes from, no matter who it is aimed at. It does a disservice to everyone if we do anything short of that.”

The kidnapping case marked a flashpoint of political polarization in the fall of 2020 as the country reeled from the COVID-19 pandemic and geared up for the 2020 presidential election. Fox and Croft led a plan to kidnap Whitmer from her vacation cottage near Elk Rapids, Michigan, and use destructive devices to “facilitate their plot by harming and hindering the governor’s security detail and any responding law enforcement officers,” the DOJ’s press release on Croft’s sentencing stated.

“They specifically explored placing a bomb under an interstate overpass near a pedestrian boardwalk,” it continues. The FBI is said to have become aware of the plot through social media “that a group of individuals was discussing the violent overthrow of certain government and law enforcement components,” according to the original DOJ complaint.

Days before Trump spoke about the case from the Oval Office, the DOJ’s newly-tapped pardon attorney, Ed Martin, announced he was going to take a “hard look” at pardoning Fox and Croft, believing the case looked like the “weaponization of government.”

“On the pardon front, we can’t leave these guys behind,” Ed Martin said last week on “The Breanna Morello Show.”

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Authorities Report 15-Year-Old Suspect in Shooting of Bicyclist with Taurus 9mm

Inset: Tommy Lagree (Orange County Sheriff”s Office). Background: The 4900 block of…

Netanyahu Seeks Contentious Corruption Pardon, Declaring It ‘Impossible

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has asked the country’s president to grant…

Shocking Ohio Case: Man Posing as Teen Targets Vulnerable Kids in Online Exploitation

A Middletown man, aged 53, is facing a lengthy prison sentence after…

Urgent Search for Missing Alabama Brothers, Ages 6 and 7: Police Request Public Assistance

The Autauga County Sheriff’s Office is reaching out to the community for…

Probation Violation: Man Arrested with 125 Grams of Marijuana Sparks Legal Controversy

Staff Report GAINESVILLE, Fla. – In the early hours today, authorities apprehended…

Thanksgiving Tragedy: Man Sets Neighbor’s Home Ablaze, Police Report

Inset: Ora Wallace (Vernon County Sheriff”s Office). Background: The home on County…

Adelaide Stabbing Leaves Man in Critical Condition: Police Investigate

A 32-year-old man is in critical condition following an alleged stabbing incident…

Family Ties Under Scrutiny: Fiancé and Sister Charged in Case of Missing Pregnant Woman

Inset left to right: Richard Falor, Kimberly Park and Rebecca Park (Wexford…

Mother and Partner Face Charges in Infant’s Tragic Death

Inset left top to bottom: Elizabeth LynnLanor Hogan and Devin Austin Brown-Fowler…

Family in Distress as Investigation Unfolds into Anna Kepner’s Cruise Ship Ordeal

The family of Anna Kepner is grappling with heartache and confusion as…

Court Delivers Verdict for Man Convicted of Stabbing 11-Year-Old at Sleepover

Inset: Ricardo Perez Castillo appears in a booking photo (Kent County Sheriff”s…

Police Report: Woman Stabbed Following Cigarette Request

Inset: Pamela Puskar (McCabe Funeral Home). Background: Glenn Whittier being escorted to…