Police had a suspected serial killer's confession, but it wasn't enough proof
Share this @internewscast.com
Boston man Albert DeSalvo was jailed for life on January 18, 1967, after being found guilty of assault and armed robbery against four women in Connecticut. 

For years, there was little outcry over the length of his hefty prison sentence, largely due to the shadow of suspicion that had long followed him. Many believed he was connected to a notorious crime spree that had haunted the streets of Boston.

During an unsettling 18-month period, a serial killer brutally took the lives of 13 women, strangling them in their own homes. The assailant remained an enigma, with the city gripped in fear as the killer continued to elude capture.

Albert DeSalvo claimed to be the Boston Strangler. (AP)
Then a few months after the murder spree ended, DeSalvo appeared at a woman’s home pretending to be a detective.

One chilling incident involved a woman who was sexually assaulted by the assailant. Before fleeing the scene, he offered a disturbing apology, saying, “I’m sorry,” leaving her and the authorities with more questions than answers.

At the time, Albert DeSalvo had been dismissed as a suspect in these infamous Boston Strangler murders. The police had moved on, and the case seemed to grow cold with each passing day.

However, the case took a dramatic turn when F. Lee Bailey, the lawyer representing George Nassar, DeSalvo’s cellmate, stepped into the spotlight. Bailey revealed that Nassar had alleged DeSalvo confessed to the murders while they were imprisoned together.

Albert DeSalvo was credited with the murder of 13 women in the Boston area. (AP)

Nassar had claimed DeSalvo had confessed to the spree of murders.

Under hypnosis, DeSalvo told police of the murders he had committed.

He later confessed to police while not hypnotised.

But because of the inconsistencies of his confession and the lack of any physical evidence, he was never charged.

Nevertheless, he would be jailed for life.

But a month later, DeSalvo managed to escape a hospital for the criminally insane.

In a note left on his bunk, DeSalvo told the warden he wanted to escape to draw attention to the poor conditions in the hospital.

Self-confessed Boston Strangler Albert DeSalvo minutes after his capture in Boston. (AP/AAP)

He turned himself in three days later and was taken to a maximum security prison.

Six years later, he was found stabbed to death.

No-one was convicted for the crime, but it is believed he was killed for selling drugs for cheaper than the syndicate price in the prison.

Over the years, sceptics began to doubt that DeSalvo was even the Boston Strangler.

A more likely culprit was cellmate Nassar, according to their prison psychiatrist Ames Robey.

Robey speculated DeSalvo took credit for the murders out of a perverse desire for notoriety.

Albert DeSalvo after his re-arrest in 1967.
Albert DeSalvo after his re-arrest in 1967. (FBI)

But decades later, the truth was confirmed.

DeSalvo’s body was exhumed to confirm the results.

But whether DeSalvo was responsible for all the cases remains uncertain.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Deputies Report Woman Transported Injured Boyfriend to Field Before Car Was Set Ablaze with Him Inside

Background: The Delaware County Justice Center in Muncie, Indiana (Delaware County Sheriff”s…

Tragic Shooting in New Mexico: Man Allegedly Kills Young Son and Injures ADA Wife and Daughter

A man in New Mexico was taken into custody on Tuesday following…

Tragic Family Dispute: Teen Faces Charges After Fatal Encounter Over Sleepover Argument

Background: A section of Delafield Street in Waukesha, Wisconsin (Google Maps). Inset…

Shocking Sting Operation Leads to Arrests and Deportation at Local Convenience Store

Staff Report HIGH SPRINGS, Fla. – Two individuals, Bhavesh Jayantilal Amin, 57,…

Shocking Heist: Man Hijacks Ambulance with Critical Kidney Patient Onboard, Threatens Police

Background: Police body camera footage shows the suspect in the theft of…

Silver Alert Issued: Search for Missing 75-Year-Old Tennessee Woman Expands Across State Lines

Authorities have expanded their search for a missing 75-year-old woman from Tennessee…

Authorities Discover Cockroach-Infested Shotgun in Cluttered Home Linked to Fatal Shooting of 11-Year-Old Girl

Inset: Jo Timmons (Randolph County Jail). Background: The front entrance of the…

Justice Thomas Stirs Controversy with Tariff Stance: Sparks Dissent and Gorsuch’s Critique

Left to right: Clarence Thomas (Library of Congress/YouTube) and Neil Gorsuch (Erin…

Master the Art of Detecting Counterfeit Currency: Spot the Differences Like a Pro!

Authorities have issued a warning about counterfeit money being circulated in eastern…

Silver Alert: Search for Missing 75-Year-Old Tennessee Woman Expands Across State Lines

The ongoing search for a missing elderly woman from Tennessee has now…

Kindergarten Teacher Arrested for Cocaine Use in School Bathroom, Claims to ‘Always Clean Up

Background: Lincoln Elementary School in New London, Wis. (Google Maps). Inset: Laurie…

Heroic Self-Defense: Woman Fights Back Against Train Attacker with Steak Knife Amidst Silent Onlookers

Inset: Allante Wallace (Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office). Background: An Arizona light rail…