Mark Zuckerberg set to testify in watershed social media trial
Share this @internewscast.com

In a landmark legal battle unfolding in Los Angeles, Mark Zuckerberg is set to take the stand in a trial that scrutinizes whether Meta’s social media platforms are purposefully designed to be addictive and detrimental to young users.

The CEO of Meta will face rigorous questioning on Wednesday from legal representatives of a woman, now 20, known only by her initials KGM. She alleges that her early engagement with social media led to addiction, worsening her depression and suicidal ideations. While TikTok and Snap have already reached settlements, Meta Platforms and YouTube, owned by Google, remain defendants in this case.

Zuckerberg has previously addressed youth safety concerns on Meta’s platforms, both in trials and before Congress, where he also expressed regret to families affected by social media-linked tragedies. However, this trial is notable as it is his first time answering such questions before a jury, with bereaved parents anticipated to fill the limited public seats in the courtroom.

This lawsuit is one of three chosen as bellwether trials, potentially setting a precedent for how numerous related lawsuits against social media firms might proceed in the future.

A spokesperson from Meta has stated that the company firmly rejects the lawsuit’s claims, expressing confidence that the evidence will demonstrate their longstanding dedication to supporting young users.

During his opening remarks, Meta’s lawyer, Paul Schmidt, acknowledged KGM’s mental health issues but challenged the notion that Instagram significantly contributed to them. He referenced medical records indicating a troubled home environment and argued, alongside YouTube’s attorney, that KGM used the platforms as a form of escapism from her mental health challenges.

Zuckerberg’s testimony comes a week after that of Adam Mosseri, the head of Meta’s Instagram, who said in the courtroom that he disagrees with the idea that people can be clinically addicted to social media platforms. Mosseri maintained that Instagram works hard to protect young people using the service, and said it’s “not good for the company, over the long run, to make decisions that profit for us but are poor for people’s well-being.”

Much of Mosseri’s questioning from the plaintiff’s lawyer, Mark Lanier, centered on cosmetic filters on Instagram that changed people’s appearance – a topic that Lanier is sure to revisit with Zuckerberg. He is also expected to face questions about Instagram’s algorithm, the infinite nature of Meta’ feeds and other features the plaintiffs argue are designed to get users hooked.

Meta is also facing a separate trial in New Mexico that began last week.

Copyright © 2026 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
Is 'Mr. Clean' actually retiring? Here’s what the brand says of the iconic 'grime-fighter'

Is the Iconic ‘Mr. Clean’ Retiring? Brand Responds to Speculations About the Renowned ‘Grime-Fighter

In a playful twist, Mr. Veritably Clean, the iconic ambassador of cleanliness,…
Repeat offender allegedly assaults hospital police officer just days after arrest at same facility: report

Serial Offender Strikes Again: Shocking Hospital Assault Days After Initial Arrest

A North Carolina resident known for his extensive criminal history has once…
Now in control of Big East crown, St. John’s knows margin for error remains slim

St. John’s Secures Top Spot in Big East, But Playoff Hopes Hang by a Thread

In an exciting twist for the season, the No. 17 ranked St.…
Twenty-five stolen cars, $300,000 cash and guns

Unveiled: Inside the Massive $300,000 Car Theft Operation with Arms and Cash Seizure

On Wednesday, Los Angeles authorities apprehended five individuals in Corona, accusing them…
Illegal immigrant allegedly ambushed woman on Florida beach in random attempted drowning attack: police

Florida Beach Incident: Woman Targeted in Alleged Drowning Attempt by Suspect, Police Report

An undocumented immigrant is currently in custody following allegations of a late-night…
Fentanyl exposure scare forces courtroom evacuation during active trial

Fentanyl Exposure Shocks Courtroom: Trial Halted Amid Emergency Evacuation

In Washington state, a courtroom evacuation took place on Thursday involving nearly…
Kentucky Lyft driver charged with sodomy, kidnapping now faces federal immigration detainer

Kentucky Lyft Driver Accused of Sodomy and Kidnapping Now Under Federal Immigration Detainer

A disturbing incident has surfaced in Kentucky involving a Lyft driver accused…
Gavin Newsom wants teens banned from social media

California Governor Gavin Newsom Proposes Groundbreaking Ban on Teen Social Media Usage to Boost Youth Well-being

California Governor Gavin Newsom has voiced support for banning social media access…
Pacific Palisades wildfire recovery plan calls for nearly $1 billion in upgrades

Pacific Palisades Unveils Ambitious $1 Billion Wildfire Recovery and Upgrade Initiative

An ambitious recovery blueprint for the Pacific Palisades wildfire zone is set…
Yankees’ Jake Bird ready to reintroduce himself after nightmarish first impression

Yankees’ Jake Bird Aims for Redemption: Rewriting His MLB Legacy

TAMPA — Jake Bird is fully aware that his initial encounter with…
'Unpatriotic and disloyal to our Constitution'

Controversial Accusations: Allegations of Unpatriotic Acts Challenge Constitutional Loyalty

In a fiery response from the White House briefing room on Friday,…
Pritzker campaign letter demands $8.6 billion refund for Illinois families after SCOTUS strikes down Trump's sweeping tariffs

Pritzker Pushes for $8.6 Billion Refund for Illinois Families Following Supreme Court’s Tariff Ruling

CHICAGO (WLS) — Governor JB Pritzker’s campaign office issued a statement on…