Milwaukee judge not immune from charges after allegedly helping illegal immigrant evade ICE, prosecutors say
Share this @internewscast.com

The case involving a Milwaukee County judge accused of obstructing deportation officers is set to proceed, as recommended by a federal magistrate judge on Monday.

Judge Hannah Dugan faces allegations of knowingly assisting an illegal migrant to leave a courtroom through a non-public back door to avoid ICE officials and informing the officers in her court that they required a warrant for the arrest. 

In May, Dugan submitted a motion to dismiss the charges, asserting that she was performing her duties in her official capacity as a judge and thus is protected from prosecution. She claimed that the federal government infringed on Wisconsin’s sovereignty by intervening in a state courtroom and prosecuting a state judge.

Dugan attorney Steven Biskupic said his team was disappointed in the recommendation and that they would appeal it. “This is only one step in what we expect will be a long journey to preserve the independence and integrity of our courts,” Biskupic said. 

Dugan was arrested by FBI officials in April as federal agents from ICE, FBI, CBP and DEA attempted to arrest illegal immigrant Eduardo Flores-Ruiz, 31, after his scheduled criminal court appearance before Dugan to face three misdemeanor battery charges for allegedly beating up two people.

She demanded that the officers proceed to the chief judge’s office and, after his hearing ended, escorted Flores-Ruiz and his attorney out a restricted jury door, bypassing the public area where agents were waiting, in order to help him avoid arrest, per a criminal complaint.

Officials said they found probable cause that he was removable under U.S. immigration law, given he was previously deported and never sought or obtained permission to re-enter the country. When agents identified themselves to him outside the court on April 18, he fled the scene on foot but was arrested after a short chase, according to the complaint.

Attorney General Pam Bondi previously said Flores-Ruiz had beaten up two people, “a guy and a girl.”

Eduardo Flores-Ruiz and Judge Hannah Dugan

Eduardo Flores-Ruiz and Milwaukee County Circuit Court Judge Hannah Dugan (DHS/Milwaukee Independent via AP)

“[He] beat the guy, hit the guy 30 times, knocked him to the ground, choked him, beat up a woman so badly, they both had to go to the hospital.”

Dugan has worked with legal aid organizations and as executive director of Catholic Charities in the past. She was elected to Branch 31 of the Circuit Court in 2016 and ran unopposed in the 2022 election. She primarily oversees cases in its misdemeanor division, according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

Her actions, while controversial, have also attracted an all-star legal defense team to argue in court on her behalf. 

As well as Biskupic, her defense team has tapped former Bush-era solicitor general Paul Clement to represent her.

hannah dugan

Judge Hannah Dugan walks into a Milwaukee federal courthouse on May 15, 2025. (Scott Olson/Getty Images)

Clement, who was also on Trump’s short list of Supreme Court nominees during his first term, is a well-respected litigator who has argued more than 100 cases before the Supreme Court. 

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
American cruise ship passenger goes missing on island tour

American Cruise Ship Passenger Reported Missing During Island Excursion

An American woman has been reported missing after she failed to return…
Knicks HC Mike Brown says benching Josh Hart was a mistake: ‘I was wrong’

Knicks Head Coach Mike Brown Admits Error in Benching Josh Hart: ‘I Was Wrong’

New York Knicks head coach Mike Brown admitted to an error in…
Game Over? Trump Cracks Down on All Immigration From Third-World Countries - ‘You Won’t Be Here for Long’

Trump Implements Stricter Immigration Measures Targeting Developing Nations – ‘You Won’t Be Here for Long’

In a passionate late-night address, President Trump responded to the recent terrorist…
2 National Guard members shot in an ambush attack blocks from the White House

Suspect in National Guard Shooting Charged with First-Degree Murder Following Death; Second Victim Remains Critical

The charges against a 29-year-old former CIA collaborator in Afghanistan have been…
Wolverine sees brighter future after groundbreaking eye surgery

Wolverine’s Vision Restored: Revolutionary Eye Surgery Offers New Hope

Edward, a young wolverine residing at the San Francisco Zoo, has become…
Cheerleader who died aboard Carnival cruise ship cremated, death certificate reveals

Tragic Cruise Incident: Cheerleader’s Brave Battle Sparks Federal Investigation into Stepbrother

The tragic death of 18-year-old Anna Kepner aboard a Carnival Cruise ship…
Jacksonville prepares Black Friday traffic plan after 2024 gridlock at St. Johns Town Center

Jacksonville Develops Strategic Traffic Plan for Black Friday Following 2024 St. Johns Town Center Congestion

The Jacksonville police are gearing up for the influx of shoppers at…
Asking Eric: After a birthday with no greetings, letter writer feels miserable

Feeling Forgotten: The Emotional Impact of Overlooked Birthdays Explored in ‘Asking Eric

Dear Eric, I’ve noticed a significant shift in how we live compared…
DC Guard Shooter Linked to CIA-Backed Afghan ‘Zero Units’

CIA Connection Revealed: DC Guard Shooter’s Ties to Afghan ‘Zero Units’ Exposed

A suspected Afghan terrorist who killed National Guard troops Sarah Beckstrom and…
US passenger goes missing while on shore during Caribbean cruise

Unraveling the Mystery: Latest Developments in US Cruise Passenger’s Disappearance in the Caribbean

The perplexing case of a missing American tourist on a Caribbean island…
Pei-Yun Chung: 'Dine-and-dash diva' accused of skipping out on bills at high-end Brooklyn, New York City restaurants

Brooklyn’s ‘Dine-and-Dash Diva’ Allegedly Leaves High-End Eateries Without Paying

NEW YORK — A social media influencer, notorious for allegedly evading payments…
Father of fallen National Guard member calls her death a 'horrible tragedy' in heartbreaking post

Father of Deceased National Guard Member Describes Her Passing as a ‘Horrible Tragedy’ in Heartfelt Message

In a deeply emotional Facebook post shared on Thursday, Gary Beckstrom announced…