3.9k Share this
Yemi Eberechi Alade, popularly known as Yemi Alade is a Nigerian Afropop singer, songwriter, actress, and activist. She is considered one of the biggest artists in Africa. Alade first rose to prominence after she won the Peak Talent Show in 2009. To date, she has released five studio albums. She released her first album, King of Queens in 2014, which included her first hit single, “Johnny”. She has given numerous hit albums and singles.
For her contribution to the music industry, she has won numerous accolades. She is known for her philanthropic works in several sectors in Africa including the COVID-19 pandemic.
What is Yemi Alade Famous For?
- Considered one of the biggest artists in Africa.
Where is Yemi Alade From?
Yemi Alade was born on 13 March 1989. Her birth name is Yemi Eberechi Alade. Her birth place is in Abia State in Nigeria. She holds Nigerian nationality. She was born to her father James Alade and her mother Helen Uzoma. She belongs to the African ethnicity and her religion is Christianity. Her zodiac sign is Pisces. She has a sister named Jessica Ejiofor.
Regarding her educational background, she attended secondary School at Victory Grammar School. She later attended the University of Lagos.
Yemi Alade Career
- Yemi Alade first gained popularity when she was still a university student. She had won the TV talent show, Peak Talent Show which garnered her initial fame.
- She was eventually signed to Effyzzie Music Group.
- Alade has released five studio albums to date. She released her debut studio album, King of Queens in October 2014. The debut single “Johnny” became an instant hit.
- She later released her studio albums Mama Africa (2016), Black Magic (2017), Woman of Steel (2019), and Empress (2020).
- She went on five world tours to promote each of her albums.
- She released EPs, Mama Afrique in 2017 and Queendoncom in 2021.
- She signed a multi-year licensing deal with Universal Music Africa (UMA) and UMG France in 2019.
- Alade is acclaimed “Mama Africa” for her versatility in using different African languages and attires in her songs and music videos. Her music has been an influence in many African countries and around the world.
- She won Female Artiste of the Year at the 2015 Nigeria Entertainment Awards.
- She won the MTV African Music Awards for Best female in 2015 and 2016.
- She won Best Album-World Beat for her album, Mama Africa at the 2016 Independent Music Awards.
- She was nominated for Best International Act at BET Awards in 2015 and 2016.
- She won Best Female Artiste in West Africa at the 2015 AFRIMA Awards. She later won Best Female Artiste at the 2018 AFRIMA Awards.
- She was named Female Artist of the Year at the 2018 African Entertainment Awards USA (AEAUSA). She won Best Female Artist (West Africa) at the 2020 AEAUSA).
- She won Best Female Western Africa for her “Oh My Gosh” at the 2018 AFRIMMA Awards. The song earned her nomination for Best Female Artiste in Western Africa at AFRIMA Awards in 2019.
- She won The Headies Award for Best Performer in 2018 and 2019.
- She was a coach on the second and third seasons of The Voice Nigeria.
Who is Yemi Alade Boyfriend?
Yemi Alade is not married. The Nigerian star is reportedly single at present. She once stated that a Masai offered her 20 cows for her hand in marriage. However, she was romantically linked with actor/model Alexx Ekubo. It was reported that the two were romantically involved with each other between 2013 and 2014. But they never confirmed their affair. Ekubo had starred in Alade’s music video for her hit song, “Johnny”. They also appeared together on the red carpet of the African Magic Viewers’ Choice Awards.
More details about her dating history, relationships, and boyfriends will be updated here. She prefers to maintain a private personal life.
How Tall is Yemi Alade?
Yemi Alade stands around the height of 1.65 m i.e 5 feet and 5 inches tall. She has a body weight of 152 lbs i.e. 69 kg. She has an average body build. Her eye color is hazel and her hair color is black. Her sexual orientation is straight.
What is Yemi Alade Net Worth?
Yemi Alade is a global star. She is considered one of the biggest artists in Africa. She has released several studio albums and has sold millions of records worldwide. She signed a lucrative multi-year licensing deal with UMA and UMA France in 2019. Due to her popularity, she has signed multiple ambassadorial contracts and partnerships from several brands both locally and internationally including Luc Belaire, Glo, Maybelline, and Shell among others. At present, her net worth is estimated at around $5 million.
Did You Know?
- Her father was a commissioner of police from Ondo State.
- Her mother is a native of Abia State, Nigeria.
- She hails from the Igbo and Yoruba ethnicities of her parents.
- She sings in English, Igbo, Pidgin, Yoruba, French, Swahili, and Portuguese.
- She is the first African female artist to reach one million subscribers on YouTube.
- Her song “Johnny” currently holds the YouTube record for the most-watched African Female music video of all time.
- She is the first female to win the MAMAs for Best Female consecutively twice and was nominated for Artiste of the Year.
- She is the first African female to be nominated for the MTV Europe Music Awards (EMAs).
- She was nominated for the BET awards for Best International Act: Africa in 2015 and 2016.
- She is the second Nigerian and Afrobeats artist and the first female to hit 100 million views for a single video on YouTube after Davido.
- Her “Oh My Gosh” remix featuring Rick Ross garnered one million views in one day, making her the first Nigerian female artist to hit 1 million views on YouTube in 24 hours.
- She was featured in Beyonce’s documentary and visual album, Black Is King.
- She was featured on The Nairobi Summit on ICPD25 for the movement A Global Call to Action for handicapped children in Kenya in November 2019.
- She was appointed UNDP’s ambassador in September 2020.
- She performed at the Earthshot Prize ceremony in October 2021 at the invitation of the Royal Family.
- In March 2022, she became the global ambassador of a Pan-African campaign called “It’s Up To Us” in partnership with the Africa Centre For Diesase Control and the MasterCard Foundation to encourage Africans get vaccinated against COVID.
Source: Gossip Gist