Aerial view of the Cedar Viaduct crossing in Fresno. (California High-Speed Rail Authority)
Share this @internewscast.com

The California High-Speed Rail Authority revealed a strategy on Thursday to quicken the establishment of the initial tracks for the state’s challenging infrastructure project.

The Authority’s board authorized a procedure allowing U.S. manufacturers to submit proposals to provide high-speed rail tracks and other necessary system components, according to officials.

These materials will serve in constructing the first electrified track miles on the California High-Speed Rail route, marking the U.S.’s inaugural high-speed rail track.

The Authority states that the process is being accelerated and will result in track being laid in 2026.

“Securing the track and materials essential to launch the country’s first high-speed rail track and systems installation within the upcoming year is a significant achievement,” said the Authority’s CEO, Ian Choudri. “Today, we are making tangible steps to develop faster, more intelligently, and cost-effectively, delivering a state-of-the-art, high-speed rail system that enhances economic movement, affordable housing, and a cleaner environment across the state.”

This development coincides with the nearing completion of a 150-acre rail staging area in Kern County at the southern extreme of the Central Valley section. This yard will facilitate the direct receipt and delivery of materials to the installation site by freight trains, as stated by CAHSR officials.

Aerial view of the Cedar Viaduct crossing in Fresno. (California High-Speed Rail Authority)
Aerial view of the Cedar Viaduct crossing in Fresno which was completed in April 2023. (California High-Speed Rail Authority)

American manufacturers will have the opportunity to compete through six separate procurement packages as teams prepare to lay the track over the 119-mile segment presently under construction. The materials, which include rail, ties, fiber optic cables, and catenary poles, will be acquired entirely with state finances, with $507 million approved for allocation to multiple suppliers.

The lack of track having been laid has been a major point of contention for opponents of the project, including current Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy. After the Department of Transportation announced it was pulling more federal funding for California High-Speed Rail, Duffy criticized the delayed process.

US Secretary of Transportation Sean Duffy speaks over a chorus of boos during a press conference at Union Station in downtown Los Angeles on Feb. 20, 2025. (Getty Images)
US Secretary of Transportation Sean Duffy speaks over a chorus of boos during a press conference at Union Station in downtown Los Angeles on Feb. 20, 2025. (Getty Images)

“In twenty years, California has not been able to lay a single track of high-speed rail,” Duffy said earlier this week. “Joe Biden and Pete Buttigieg didn’t care about these failures and dumped hundreds of millions of dollars into the state’s wish list of related fantasy projects.”

Industry experts and supporters of the California High-Speed Rail have pushed back on the notion, arguing that track-laying realistically happens late in the overall construction process, and is an easier endeavor than building bridges and underpasses, or navigating the clerical and legal challenges that have plagued the project.

The Authority has attempted to highlight what parts of the system have actually been completed already, including the construction of 57 structures in the Central Valley, with 29 additional structures currently being built. Currently, 171 miles are under design and construction between Merced and Bakersfield, and nearly 70 miles of guideway is complete.

All but 31 miles of the system has received environmental clearance between San Francisco and the greater Los Angeles area, and CAHSR says the project has generated billions in economic activity in the Central Valley.

“Since construction began, the project has created over 15,800 good-paying jobs—most filled by Central Valley residents. Up to 1,700 workers report to high-speed rail construction sites each day,” a news release states.

Crews work on the Mountain View Avenue Grade Separation project for the California High-Speed Rail on Jan. 30, 2024. (CaHSR)
Crews work on the Mountain View Avenue Grade Separation project for the California High-Speed Rail on Jan. 30, 2024. (CaHSR)

While the Trump Administration has put the project in its crosshairs, California Gov. Gavin Newsom has taken up advocacy for it, proposing $1 billion annually from the state’s cap-and-trade program to provide the project with consistent, reliable funding.

Currently, the project’s funding sources are spread out and sporadic. Choudri says a consistent source of funds would allow the Authority to seek financing for the project, further accelerate construction and find new revenue streams.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Recall of Salad Kits Sold at Walmart Stores in Florida

(WJW) — Salad kits available in 25 states, including Florida, are being…

5 Key Insights from the Escalating Tensions Between the CDC and RFK Jr.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has five key leaders…

These Cast Members Won’t Return for ‘SNL’ Season 51

Some beloved longtime “Saturday Night Live” cast members won’t be returning for…

Storm Team 3: Scattered Showers Expected Friday, Increased Rainfall Predicted for Labor Day Weekend

The afternoon in Savannah, Ga, began under predominantly sunny skies with temperatures…

CCSO: Woman Arrested for Fleeing Scene and Hitting Police Car

CARTER COUNTY, Tenn. (WJHL) — A Bristol woman was arrested on Wednesday…

Three Officers Granted New Trials in Tyre Nichols Case

A federal judge in Tennessee has ordered new trials for three former…

Officials Release Identities of Three Workers Killed by Toxic Sewer Gas in Trinity County

TRINITY COUNTY, Texas (KETK) — Authorities have recovered the bodies of three…

Federal Reserve Governor Lisa Cook Files Lawsuit Against Trump for ‘Illegal and Unprecedented’ Attempt to Dismiss Her

Federal Reserve governor Lisa Cook filed a lawsuit against President Donald Trump…

Survivors of Abuse at Miss Hall’s School Aim to Safeguard Teens from Predatory Educators

They took the initiative to warn about and eliminate a teacher at…

Parents Hurry to Annunciation Catholic School Amid Reports of Gunfire

A Minneapolis couple residing a block from Annunciation Catholic School and the…

Father of Minneapolis shooting victim urges to focus on his son’s love, not the tragedy

MINNEAPOLIS – As the families of the two Catholic school students who…

Legal Dispute Over Federal Reserve’s Future Kicks Off Today

A hearing is scheduled at 10 a.m. ET in a federal court…