Internewscast Journal
  • Home
  • US News
  • Local News
  • Health
  • People
  • Guest Post
  • Support Our Cause
Internewscast Journal
  • Home
  • US News
  • Local News
  • Health
  • People
  • Guest Post
  • Support Our Cause
Home Local news Hegseth Advocates for ‘Male Benchmark’ in Combat Roles; Female Veterans Assert It’s Already Implemented
  • Local news

Hegseth Advocates for ‘Male Benchmark’ in Combat Roles; Female Veterans Assert It’s Already Implemented

  • 4 minute read
Total
0
Shares
Share 0
Tweet 0
Pin it 0
Hegseth wants 'male standard' for combat roles. Many female veterans say that's already the case

Up next

Chelsea 1-0 Benfica: Jose Mourinho's return ends in defeat as ANOTHER Blues star sees red in unconvincing Champions League victory

Chelsea 1-0 Benfica: Jose Mourinho’s comeback overshadowed by defeat, as yet another Blues player gets sent off in a lackluster Champions League win

Published on 01 October 2025

Author

Internewscast

Share article

The post has been shared by 0 people.
Facebook 0
X (Twitter) 0
Pinterest 0
Mail 0

Hegseth Advocates for ‘Male Benchmark’ in Combat Roles; Female Veterans Assert It’s Already Implemented

Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth addressed the military’s senior leaders on Tuesday, revisiting a contentious topic that nearly jeopardized his confirmation earlier this year and contributed to his prominence as a Fox News commentator—the eligibility of women for combat roles.

At an impromptu assembly in Virginia filled with military commanders, Hegseth announced new guidelines aimed at ensuring that combat position requirements adhere strictly to the highest male standards.

He remarked that “if this results in no women qualifying for certain combat positions, then so be it,” but emphasized that the military remains open to female recruits.

“I am not comfortable with the idea of my son serving alongside soldiers who aren’t in peak physical condition, or in combat units with women who fail to meet the rigorous physical standards expected of men,” he asserted. “This isn’t just any job—the stakes are life and death. Standards must be upheld.”

These statements revived earlier criticisms of the defense secretary following President Donald Trump’s decision to nominate him, highlighting ongoing concerns about his stance on women in leadership and frontline roles. His overhaul of top military ranks has notably affected several women, including an admiral and vice admiral in the Navy and the head of the U.S. Coast Guard.

Several notable women veterans who have served in combat refuted Hegseth’s comments, pointing out that women in combat roles already operate under the same rigorous standards as their male counterparts. These standards apply uniformly to jobs in fields such as infantry, armor, pararescue, and special operations, regardless of age or gender.

Female veterans call out Hegseth

Elisa Cardnell, president of the Service Women’s Action Network, said the standards have not been lowered for women serving in combat roles. She said the requirements for serving in the infantry, for example, are the same for men and women, whether it’s carrying a certain amount of equipment or marching a certain distance.

Capt. Lory Manning, who served for more than 25 years in the Navy and at times commanded units of over 400 people, said skepticism about women’s capabilities is nothing new. During her time in the Navy, the military expanded opportunities for women to serve in air, sea and some ground combat.

“Women have had to prove they were capable before positions became officially open,” said Manning, whose responsibilities at one point also included oversight and evaluation of the Navy’s physical fitness standards.

Manning said “there would have been some sort of uproar” if women consistently failed to perform or compromised military standards throughout that time. She said the secretary seemed to conflate physical requirements with requirements for specific military roles.

“He hasn’t changed anything basic with regards to women,” she said of Hegseth. “He’s just got it in his head that women are somehow cheating.”

Amy McGrath, a retired Marine Corps lieutenant colonel who was the first woman to fly an F-18 fighter jet in combat and lost a Democratic challenge to Kentucky Sen. Mitch McConnell in 2020, said Hegseth continues to lie about women in the military.

“He claimed the military needs to ‘return to the male standard’ in combat jobs (of 1990!), but here’s the truth: there has never been a separate male and female standard,” she posted on X. “When women entered combat roles, one standard was set, and we’ve been meeting it ever since.”

U.S. Rep. Mikie Sherrill, the Democratic nominee for New Jersey governor who served as a Navy helicopter pilot, said Tuesday that what she had heard about the speech “comports with everything I’ve seen from the most incompetent secretary of defense we’ve ever had.”

She questioned the decision to call generals and admirals from around the world for what she said amounts to a meeting “just to kind of show his tough guy creds.”

Many Republican women show support

Iowa Sen. Joni Ernst, a Republican and Iraq War combat veteran who grilled Hegseth during his nomination hearing in January before providing a crucial confirmation vote, said his comments Tuesday were “appropriate.”

“I’m not worried about that,” she said. “So there should be the same set of standards for combat arms. I think that’s what he probably was referring to, combat arms.”

Ernst noted, however, that women who go through Ranger School or into the infantry are already subjected to the same standards as men.

Rep. Nancy Mace of South Carolina, the first woman to graduate from The Citadel, said she likes Hegseth’s approach, specifically his promises to get rid of diversity, equity and inclusion efforts in the military.

“President Trump and Secretary Hegseth are right: the U.S. military isn’t a playground for Left-Wing gender bending ideology. Our military is a fighting force that must return to mission-first readiness,” the Republican told AP in a statement.

U.S. Rep. Sheri Biggs of South Carolina, a lieutenant colonel in the Air National Guard, said she also supported Hegseth’s efforts to change military culture.

Hegseth focused much of his address on eliminating what he has called “woke” policies from the military, saying too many leaders have been promoted based on race, gender quotas and “historic firsts” rather than qualifications. Any leader who disagrees with his approach should resign, he said.

“Returning to standards that prioritize excellence and accountability puts America’s security and our servicemembers where they belong — first,” Biggs said in a statement.

___ Associated Press writers Safiyah Riddle in Montgomery, Alabama, Meg Kinnard in Houston, and Joey Cappelletti, Stephen Groves and Ben Finley in Washington contributed to this report.

Copyright 2025 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.

You May Also Like

Ocoee police warn of ‘bank jugging’ crimes targeting cash-carrying residents
  • Local news

Ocoee Police Warn of Bank Jugging Thefts Targeting Residents Carrying Cash

OCOEE, Fla. – Police in Ocoee are urging residents to stay alert…
  • Internewscast
  • August 18, 2026
Kushner Meets Netanyahu on Gaza After Two-Hour Hamas Talks - Internewscast Journal
  • Local news

Kushner Meets Netanyahu on Gaza After Two-Hour Hamas Talks

JERUSALEM – Jared Kushner, the Mideast negotiator and son-in-law of Donald Trump,…
  • Internewscast
  • August 17, 2026
Russian Court Jails Kremlin Critic 11 Years for Opposing War - Internewscast Journal
  • Local news

Russian Court Jails Kremlin Critic 11 Years for Opposing War

A Russian court on Monday found a well-known opposition figure guilty over…
  • Internewscast
  • August 17, 2026
Luigi Mangione State Murder Trial Delayed Indefinitely as Double Jeopardy Battle Continues - Internewscast Journal
  • Local news

Luigi Mangione State Murder Trial Delayed Indefinitely as Double Jeopardy Battle Continues

NEW YORK – The state murder trial of Luigi Mangione in the…
  • Internewscast
  • August 17, 2026
Tyson Plant Closures Deepen Beef Crisis Amid Cattle Shortage - Internewscast Journal
  • News

Tyson Plant Closures Deepen Beef Crisis Amid Cattle Shortage

If the price of steak or ground beef has already been giving…
  • Internewscast
  • August 18, 2026
Tupac Shakur Murder Trial Opens as Keffe D Faces Jury - Internewscast Journal
  • US

Tupac Shakur Murder Trial Opens as Keffe D Faces Jury

Opening statements have concluded in the murder trial of Duane “Keffe D”…
  • Internewscast
  • August 18, 2026
5 Classic Fantasy Movies That Are Perfect For A Modern Remake
  • TV Shows

5 Classic Fantasy Movies That Deserve a Modern Remake Now

Paramount Pictures Long before 1939’s “The Wizard of Oz” became a…
  • Internewscast
  • August 18, 2026
Kim Kardashian Reportedly Made Millions in 5-Minute SKIMS Launch - Internewscast Journal
  • Celeb Lifestyle

Kim Kardashian Reportedly Made Millions in 5-Minute SKIMS Launch

Kim Kardashian is said to have made millions of dollars in a…
  • Internewscast
  • August 18, 2026

Internewscast Journal

  • Home
  • Privacy Policy
  • DMCA Notice
  • Terms and Conditions
  • Guest Post
  • Support Our Cause
Copyright 2026. All Right Reserverd.