Internewscast Journal
  • Home
  • US News
  • Local News
  • Health
  • People
  • Guest Post
  • Support Our Cause
Internewscast Journal
  • Home
  • US News
  • Local News
  • Health
  • People
  • Guest Post
  • Support Our Cause
Home Local news Hong Kong Revokes Passports and Suspends Financial Aid for 16 Activists Abroad
  • Local news

Hong Kong Revokes Passports and Suspends Financial Aid for 16 Activists Abroad

  • 2 minute read
Total
0
Shares
Share 0
Tweet 0
Pin it 0
Hong Kong cancels passports and bans financial support for 16 overseas activists

Up next

Hannah McGuire's killer allegedly threatened witness

Alleged Killer of Hannah McGuire Accused of Witness Intimidation

Published on 04 August 2025

Author

Internewscast

Share article

The post has been shared by 0 people.
Facebook 0
X (Twitter) 0
Pinterest 0
Mail 0

Hong Kong Revokes Passports and Suspends Financial Aid for 16 Activists Abroad

HONG KONG — On Monday, Hong Kong authorities intensified their actions against 16 overseas-based activists, already targets of bounties for allegedly compromising national security. The measures include cutting off financial support and revoking the passports of most involved.

In July, these activists were among 19 individuals for whom arrest warrants were issued due to their alleged involvement in the Hong Kong Parliament, deemed by police as a subversive international group. This organization is neither the official legislative body of the city nor does it have significant influence.

Three of the original 19 activists were already targeted by similar measures last year.

Security Secretary Chris Tang has barred any financial support or economic assistance to the 16 activists, including individuals such as Victor Ho, Keung Ka-wai, Australian scholar Chongyi Feng, and U.S. citizen Gong Sasha, according to a statement from the Hong Kong government.

Travel documents were canceled for 12 of the 16 who hold Hong Kong passports.

Additionally, the government has restricted leasing property to them or engaging in joint business ventures. Anyone breaching these directives faces up to seven years in prison.

According to the government, these 16 activists are currently residing in the U.K., the U.S., Canada, Germany, Australia, Thailand, and Taiwan, among other locations, and continue activities deemed as threats to national security.

The notice also accused them of intending to incite hatred against Beijing and Hong Kong through smear and slander.

“We therefore have taken such measures to make a significant impact,” the statement said.

The national security law, imposed by Beijing in 2020, has largely quashed public dissent following significant anti-government protests in 2019, resulting in many activists being arrested, silenced, or compelled into exile.

The measures announced Monday were issued under the powers granted by Hong Kong’s homegrown national security law enacted last year.

The arrest warrants issued in July have drawn criticism from foreign governments, including the U.S., the U.K. and the European Union. Police offered rewards of 200,000 Hong Kong dollars ($25,480) to 1 million Hong Kong dollars ($127,400) for information leading to their arrests.

In a July statement, U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio condemned the moves.

“The extraterritorial targeting of Hong Kongers who are exercising their fundamental freedoms is a form of transnational repression,” he said. “We will not tolerate the Hong Kong government’s attempts to apply its national security laws to silence or intimidate Americans or anyone on U.S. soil.”

The Hong Kong office of the Chinese Foreign Ministry responded by opposing criticism from foreign politicians, insisting the actions were legitimate.

The governements in Beijing and Hong Kong said the security laws were necessary for the city’s stability.

Copyright 2025 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.

You May Also Like

Trump Blames Vandals for Damaged Grass at Site of His July 4 Celebration - Internewscast Journal
  • Local news

Trump Blames Vandals for Damaged Grass at Site of His July 4 Celebration

WASHINGTON – President Donald Trump said Sunday that vandals were responsible for…
  • Internewscast
  • August 17, 2026
Ben Gvir Tells Ex-Hostage Israel Should Kill 30-40 Gazans Nightly - Internewscast Journal
  • Local news

Ben Gvir Tells Ex-Hostage Israel Should Kill 30-40 Gazans Nightly

JERUSALEM – A far-right Israeli lawmaker serving in Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s…
  • Internewscast
  • August 16, 2026
Mexico Avocado Exports to US Resume as Pickers Fear Violence - Internewscast Journal
  • Local news

Mexico Avocado Exports to US Resume as Pickers Fear Violence

SANTA ANA ZIROSTO – Mexican avocado picker Francisco Isidro wasted little time…
  • Internewscast
  • August 16, 2026
Zimbabwe Ferry Disaster Death Toll Rises to 84 as 12 More Bodies Are Recovered - Internewscast Journal
  • Local news

Zimbabwe Ferry Disaster Death Toll Rises to 84 as 12 More Bodies Are Recovered

HARARE – Rescue teams in Zimbabwe continued searching Lake Kariba on Sunday…
  • Internewscast
  • August 16, 2026
Trump Blames Vandals for Dead Grass on National Mall After Fourth of July Celebration - Internewscast Journal
  • US

Trump Blames Vandals for Dead Grass on National Mall After Fourth of July Celebration

President Donald Trump is pointing to vandals as the cause of large…
  • Internewscast
  • August 17, 2026
Hayden Panettiere’s Final Instagram Post Resurfaces - Internewscast Journal
  • News

Hayden Panettiere’s Final Instagram Post Resurfaces

Hayden Panettiere’s recent Instagram activity drew attention after she shared a…
  • Internewscast
  • August 17, 2026
Rapist Ralph Carr’s Grim New Life at The Map With Tom Silvagni - Internewscast Journal
  • News

Rapist Ralph Carr’s Grim New Life at The Map With Tom Silvagni

Celebrity agent Ralph Carr has described prison as a “living hell”, with…
  • Internewscast
  • August 17, 2026
Trump Orders Pentagon to Scale Back South Korea War Games - Internewscast Journal
  • News

Trump Orders Pentagon to Scale Back South Korea War Games

President Donald Trump said Sunday that he has directed the Pentagon to…
  • Internewscast
  • August 17, 2026

Internewscast Journal

  • Home
  • Privacy Policy
  • DMCA Notice
  • Terms and Conditions
  • Guest Post
  • Support Our Cause
Copyright 2026. All Right Reserverd.