Hyundai megasite: Employment and operations moving forward

Hyundai Megasite: Future Plans for Jobs and Business Operations

BRYAN COUNTY, Ga. () — As inquiries arise about the return of a South Korean charter plane carrying nationals headed to Seoul, News 3 provides information about the future employment and operations at the Hyundai megasite.

The plane arrived in Atlanta Wednesday morning to repatriate 300 of the 475 workers apprehended during last week’s immigration raid at the HL-GA Battery Company construction site in Bryan County. As of Wednesday afternoon, there’s no confirmed schedule for the plane’s return to South Korea.

A representative from the Savannah Economic Development Authority (SEDA) informed News 3, stating, “It’s crucial to recognize that those detained were not engaged as full-time, permanent employees but were involved in equipment installation, training, and construction. Economic development agreements exclude roles like construction since they aren’t full-time, permanent positions.”

Concerns have also emerged regarding the raid’s potential influence on job availability at the megasite campus. SEDA assures that the immigration raid won’t affect the job commitments made.

To date, Hyundai Motor Group Metaplant America (HMGMA) and its subsidiaries have generated 2,824 full-time roles currently in production, according to SEDA. A spokesperson noted that HMGMA employs 1,367 individuals, with 73.2 percent hailing from the Greater Savannah area.

The HMGMA spokesperson said they continue to actively hire, and this will not impact HMGMA’s hiring goals.

HMGMA, or “the Metaplant,” is set to account for 2,609 of the 8,500 jobs on the megasite once construction concludes. Based on the Economic Development Agreement with the state, these targets must be attained by 2031.

HMGMA does have expats on site, according to a spokesperson. The expats assist in communication with headquarters in Korea. This is standard practice for manufacturers operating outside of its home country. The most expats they have had at HMGMA was 56 during the building of the site and was the highest they plan to have. The number of expats will dwindle as production continues, according to the HMGMA spokesperson.

“The relationship with Hyundai and SEDA/Joint Development Authority (JDA) remains as strong as ever. Hyundai, along with its affiliates and suppliers have made a significant investment to this region and continue to demonstrate their commitment,” a SEDA spokesperson told News 3.

HMGMA has not been impacted by the raid that took place at the neighboring construction site. Production at HL-GA Battery is scheduled to begin in mid-2026. SEDA has not heard of any delays.

reached out to Ruby Gould, president of the KAAGS, for comment on this immigration operation. Gould wrote to News 3, I have no further information on the current situation. We are all hoping the detainees will be released quickly.”

You May Also Like

Kushner Meets Netanyahu on Gaza After Two-Hour Hamas Talks

JERUSALEM – Jared Kushner, the Mideast negotiator and son-in-law of Donald Trump,…

Trump Blames Vandals for Damaged Grass at Site of His July 4 Celebration

WASHINGTON – President Donald Trump said Sunday that vandals were responsible for…

Ben Gvir Tells Ex-Hostage Israel Should Kill 30-40 Gazans Nightly

JERUSALEM – A far-right Israeli lawmaker serving in Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s…

Zimbabwe Ferry Disaster Death Toll Rises to 84 as 12 More Bodies Are Recovered

HARARE – Rescue teams in Zimbabwe continued searching Lake Kariba on Sunday…