Police say driver who plowed into soccer fans in Liverpool acted alone, not believed to be terrorism
Share this @internewscast.com

LONDON (AP) — A 53-year-old British man drove his minivan into a group of Liverpool soccer supporters celebrating the city’s Premier League win on Monday. The joyous atmosphere shifted to chaos, with over 45 individuals sustaining injuries from the incident.

The driver arrested was believed to be the only one involved in the incident and it was not being investigated as an act of terrorism, police said.

According to Dave Kitchin from North West Air Ambulance, 27 people were hospitalized, including two who incurred serious injuries. An additional 20 people were treated on-site for less severe injuries, and at least four children were among the injured.

Firefighters had to lift the vehicle to free four victims trapped beneath it. One of those injured was a medic who had been on duty on a bicycle.

A social media video appears to capture the moment the gray minivan hits at least one person before swerving into a larger assembly, creating a path through the crowd and propelling people along the road until it came to a halt.

“It was extremely fast,” said Harry Rashid, who was with his wife and two young daughters as the car passed by them. “Initially, we just heard the pop, pop, pop of people just being knocked off the bonnet of a car.”

Rashid said the crowd charged the halted vehicle and began smashing windows.

“But then he put his foot down again and just plowed through the rest of them, he just kept going,” Rashid said. “It was horrible. And you could hear the bumps as he was going over the people.”

Rashid said it looked deliberate.

“My daughter started screaming, and there were people on the ground,” he said. “They were just innocent people, just fans going to enjoy the parade.”

Liverpool fans had come out in the tens of thousands to celebrate the team winning the Premier League this season for a record-tying 20th top-flight title.

Peter Jones, who had traveled from Isle of Man, said he heard the car smash into the crowd and saw at least a half-dozen people down.

“We heard a frantic beeping ahead, a car flew past me and my mate, people were chasing it and trying to stop him, windows smashed at the back,” Jones said. “He then drove into people, police and medics ran past us, and people were being treated on the side of the road.”

Merseyside Police said they were trying to establish what led to the incident and asked people not to speculate or share “distressing content online.”

Prime Minister Keir Starmer called the scenes appalling and said he was being updated on the situation.

Liverpool’s last league title came in 2020 but supporters were denied the chance to publicly celebrate due to restrictions in place during the COVID pandemic.

This time, scarf-and-flag-waving fans braved wet weather to line the streets and climb up traffic lights for a view of Liverpool’s players, who were atop two buses bearing the words “Ours Again.”

The hours-long procession — surrounded by a heavy police presence — crawled along a 10-mile (16-kilometer) route and through a sea of red smoke and rain. Fireworks exploded from the Royal Liver Building in the heart of the city.

The team in a short statement said its thoughts and prayers were with those affected. The Premier League issued a similar statement expressing shock at the “appalling events in Liverpool.”

Police identified the suspect as white, in a possible decision to prevent misinformation from flooding social media.

Last summer, a teen in the nearby town of Southport killed three girls in a stabbing rampage at a dance class and wounded 10 others, including two adults. An incorrect name of the suspect was spread on social media and people said he was an asylum seeker. In fact, he had been born in the U.K. Rioting spread across England and Northern Ireland, targeting Muslims and refugees in hotels of asylum seekers and lasted about a week.

___

AP soccer:

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Troopers Report Fatal Crash in Marion County Involving 54-Year-Old Man

MARION COUNTY, Fla. – A man, aged 54, lost his life in…

Man Arrested Following Shooting at Officers and Subsequent Standoff

GLYNN COUNTY, Ga. () — A man was taken into custody early…

U.S. Holds Sunday Court Hearing on Deportation of Guatemalan Children

A federal judge has temporarily halted the deportation of a group of…

Rep. Ro Khanna Accuses Trump of Mimicking Nixon’s Tactics to ‘Manipulate’ the Federal Reserve

WASHINGTON — California Democrat Rep. Ro Khanna has urged Federal Reserve governor…

Rudy Giuliani hurt in New Hampshire traffic accident, according to his spokesperson

Rudy Giuliani is on the mend from a fractured vertebra and other…

Court Rules Trump’s Tariff Actions Exceeded Presidential Authority

A federal appeals court declared on Friday that President Donald Trump exceeded…

Senator James Lankford Believes RFK Jr.’s Views on Vaccines Are Misguided

Sen. James Lankford, a Republican from Oklahoma, on Sunday did not fully…

Bullet Fragment Discovered in Neck of Boy Whose Viral Story Tells of Friend Shielding Him During School Shooting

Doctors located a bullet fragment in the neck of a 10-year-old boy…

Kristi Noem Announces Expansion of ICE Activities in Key Cities

Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem announced on Sunday that the Trump administration…

Storm Team 3: Expect Drier Conditions on Sunday and Labor Day

SAVANNAH, Ga. () — Rain dominated the early portion of Saturday, but…

Macron’s Plan to Acknowledge Palestine in September Upsets Israel and the US

PARIS – The move by French President Emmanuel Macron to acknowledge a…

“Woke Fest Champions Workers’ Rights Through Music and Creativity”

JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. (WJHL) — The drums were beating in Winged Deer…