Judge reduces Menendez brothers' murder sentences, putting them a step closer to freedom
Share this @internewscast.com

LOS ANGELES (AP) — After spending 35 years incarcerated for the murder of their parents, Erik and Lyle Menendez will have another opportunity for release, as a judge determined on Tuesday.

Judge Michael Jesic of the Los Angeles County Superior Court modified the brothers’ sentences from life without parole to 50 years to life. Under California’s youthful offender law, they now qualify for parole because they were younger than 26 at the time of the crime. However, the state parole board must still make the decision regarding their potential release.

The brothers showed little emotion as they appeared via livestream video and spoke for the first time in court following the ruling.

“I killed my mom and dad. I offer no excuses and no justification,” Lyle expressed in a court statement. “The impact my violent actions had on my family … is unimaginable.”

Erik also spoke about taking responsibility for his actions and apologizing to his family. “You did not deserve what I did to you, but you inspire me to do better,” he said.

The judge said he had given “long thought” to what sentences the brothers deserved, taking into account all of the arguments.

“I do give them a lot of credit for changing their lives,” Jesic said.

He said he was especially moved by a letter that was submitted by a prison official who wrote in support of the resentencing, something he had never done for any inmate in 25 years.

“I’m not saying they should be released, it’s not for me to decide,” Jesic said. “I do believe they’ve done enough in the past 35 years, that they should get that chance.”

The brothers were sentenced in 1996 to life in prison without the possibility of parole for murdering their father, Jose Menendez, and mother, Kitty Menendez, in their Beverly Hills home in 1989. The brothers were 18 and 21 at the time. While defense attorneys argued the brothers acted out of self-defense after years of sexual abuse by their father, prosecutors said the brothers killed their parents for a multimillion-dollar inheritance.

The case has captured the public’s attention for decades — and last year, the Netflix drama “ Monsters: The Lyle and Erik Menendez Story ” and documentary “The Menendez Brothers” brought new attention to the case. Supporters of the brothers have flown in from across the country to attend rallies and hearings in the past few months.

The defense made their case heard

“Today is a great day after 35 years,” defense attorney Mark Geragos said.

“We have evolved,” Geragos said. “This is not the ’90s anymore. We have a more robust understanding of a lot of things.”

The defense began by calling Anamaria Baralt, a cousin of Erik and Lyle, who testified that the brothers have repeatedly expressed remorse for their actions.

“We all, on both sides of the family, believe that 35 years is enough,” Baralt said. “They are universally forgiven by our family.”

Another cousin, Tamara Goodell, said she had recently taken her 13-year-old son to meet the brothers in prison, and that they would contribute a lot of good to the world if released.

“They are a real family,” Geragos said. “Real people who have lived through unimaginable horrors. And I’m hopeful and glad that we’re one huge step closer to bringing the boys home.”

Diane Hernandez, who also testified during Erik and Lyle’s first trial, spoke about the abuse she witnessed in the Menendez household when she lived with them and the so-called “hallway rule.”

“When Jose was with one of the boys … you couldn’t even go up the stairs to be on the same floor,” Hernandez said of the father.

Judge reduced charge to manslaughter

Attorneys for the brothers proved they had been rehabilitated in prison and deserve a lesser sentence.

The judge reduced their charges to manslaughter, and gave them time served to allow them to be immediately released.

Los Angeles County prosecutors argued against the resentencing. They said the brothers have not taken complete responsibility for the crime. “They have not come clean” about their crimes, Los Angeles District Attorney Nathan Hochman said.

Geragos emphasized that the purpose of resentencing is to “encourage rehabilitation.”

“That is the law,” Geragos said, “not relitigate the facts of the crime as the D.A. wants to do.”

Former district attorney and fami

ly support resentencing

The previous LA County District Attorney George Gascón had opened the door to possible freedom for the brothers last fall by asking a judge to reduce their sentences. His office said the case would’ve been handled differently today due to modern understandings of sexual abuse and trauma, and the brothers’ rehabilitation over three decades in prison.

A resentencing petition laid out by Gascón focused on the brothers’ accomplishments and rehabilitation. Since their conviction, the brothers have gotten an education, participated in self-help classes and started various support groups for their fellow inmates.

A former judge who said he considered himself tough on crime, Jonathan Colby, told the court that he was impressed with the programs the brothers started during their time in prison to provide aid and care for older and disabled inmates. He got to know them over a series of prison visits.

“There’s not many prisoners I meet like Erik and Lyle that have such concern for the elderly,” he said.

Former inmate Anerae Brown cried as he testified about how the brothers helped him heal and get on the path to rehabilitation, leading to his release from prison.

He called the programs they started “Menendez University.”

“I have children now,” he said. “Without Lyle and Erik I might still be sitting in there doing stupid things.”

___

This story has been updated to correct the ruling was issued Tuesday, not Friday, and fixes the spelling of Baralt’s first name.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Orlando’s Small Businesses Gear Up for Record-Breaking Saturday Shopping Rush

ORLANDO, Fla. – In a bid to accommodate the influx of shoppers,…

Greene County Standoff Leads to Man Facing Multiple Attempted Murder Charges, Says Sheriff

A man has been arrested and charged with several counts of attempted…

Bristol Rhythm & Roots Reveals Additional Artists for Its 2026 ’25 Artists for 25 Years’ Celebration

The Birthplace of Country Music has unveiled the first 25 artists set…

Bristol, Va. House Fire Attributed to Candle Left Near Flammable Materials, Reports Fire Chief

BRISTOL, Va. (WJHL) — On Thanksgiving Day, a house fire in Bristol,…

Brace for Impact: Thanksgiving Travelers Face Snow, Rain, and Chilly Weather Conditions

As Thanksgiving travelers began their journeys, snow and cold temperatures have already…

Escalating Tensions: Russian Strikes Claim Lives in Kyiv Amid Renewed Diplomatic Push for Peace in Ukraine

KYIV – In the early hours of Saturday, Kyiv faced a deadly…

Unexploded Grenade Found in Orlando Community, Fire Department Reports

ORLANDO, Fla. – Fire department crews discovered a grenade while responding to…

Survivors of Hong Kong Apartment Fire Reflect on Their Next Steps

HONG KONG – It was a typical afternoon when William Li received…

African Union Temporarily Suspends Guinea-Bissau Following Military Coup

DAKAR – In response to a military coup, the African Union has…

Legionnaires’ Disease Alert: Ocoee Gym Under Investigation for Potential Outbreak

OCOEE, Fla. – A cloud of concern hovers over a local fitness…

Community Outcry Escalates: Arrests Spark Controversy 100 Days Post Rainbow Crosswalk Removal

In Orlando, Florida, a crosswalk near the former Pulse nightclub has become…

Heroic Sibling Rescue: How an Older Brother Saved His 10-Year-Old Sister in a Hawkins County ATV Accident

What began as a typical Saturday evening in Hawkins County quickly transformed…