Migrant dies in San Antonio hospital after falling ill in desolate area near border


Migrant Passes Away in San Antonio Hospital After Falling Ill Near Border's Remote Region

McALLEN, Texas (Border Report) — Details of the death of a Mexican migrant who died in October after being lost in a rural and desolate part of South Texas have been released by U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

Officials said the man was found on Sept. 20 in rural Dimmit County, about 43 miles southeast of Eagle Pass, Texas, and 17 miles east of the Mexican border. He was in medical distress and his location had been called in by another person who told dispatchers they were lost and that the man was convulsing and unconscious, CBP said Wednesday.

Border Patrol agents located the men and called for EMS, which was 23 miles away, and reported that the man appeared to be suffering from heat stroke.

A Border Patrol emergency medical technician arrived to help shortly before 5 a.m. and determined he was in shock and administered intravenous fluids.

With the ambulance still miles out, the Border Patrol agents put the man in the back of a Border Patrol pickup before meeting up with the ambulance around 5:30 a.m., CBP says.

The man was treated at Dimmit Regional Hospital until he was sent to Methodist Hospital Metropolitan in San Antonio later that afternoon.

The man was declared dead 11 days later on Oct. 1 by a doctor at the hospital.

CBP’s Office of Professional Responsibility is reviewing the case.

Sandra Sanchez can be reached at SSanchez@BorderReport.com.

You May Also Like

Dry Start to the Week Before Rain Chances Rise

Isolated storms expected Monday before coverage increases by late-week. Only isolated to…

Trump Tests Mark Carney as Canada Faces Economic Coercion Concerns

TORONTO, ONT – Mark Carney made his mark on the world stage…

Buc-ee’s Sparks Ohio Backlash Over Mini Mart Beaver Logo Fight

BEAVERCREEK, Ohio – From a lip-smacking alligator to a grinning moose and…

Boston Symphony Orchestra Musicians Union Authorizes First Strike in Ensemble’s 145-Year History

LENOX, Mass. – Musicians with the Boston Symphony Orchestra have authorized what…