Internewscast Journal
  • Home
  • US News
  • Local News
  • Health
  • People
  • Guest Post
  • Support Our Cause
Internewscast Journal
  • Home
  • US News
  • Local News
  • Health
  • People
  • Guest Post
  • Support Our Cause
Home Local news Rebels in Eastern Congo, with support from Rwanda, agree on principles for a lasting peace agreement.
  • Local news

Rebels in Eastern Congo, with support from Rwanda, agree on principles for a lasting peace agreement.

  • 2 minute read
Total
0
Shares
Share 0
Tweet 0
Pin it 0
Congo and Rwanda-backed rebels sign declaration of principles for a permanent ceasefire in the east

Up next

Smurf's Natasha Lyonne hits out at Hollywood's view on ageing women

Natasha Lyonne Criticizes Hollywood’s Perception of Aging Women

Published on 19 July 2025

Author

Internewscast

Share article

The post has been shared by 0 people.
Facebook 0
X (Twitter) 0
Pinterest 0
Mail 0

Rebels in Eastern Congo, with support from Rwanda, agree on principles for a lasting peace agreement.

DAKAR – On Saturday, Congo and rebels backed by Rwanda inked a declaration of principles in Qatar aimed at resolving the longstanding conflict in eastern Congo. This agreement pledges them to an ongoing ceasefire and outlines plans for signing a comprehensive peace deal within a month.

The final peace agreement is scheduled to be signed by August 18. As noted by the Associated Press, this agreement will be in harmony with the Peace Agreement between Congo and Rwanda, which was facilitated by the U.S. in June.

The declaration addresses key elements of the peace deal signed by Congo and Rwanda on June 27. It marks the first direct commitment from both parties since the rebels captured two significant cities in eastern Congo in a significant strategic move.

Backed by neighboring Rwanda, the M23 is the most prominent of more than 100 armed groups fighting for control in Congo’s mineral-rich east. With 7 million people displaced in Congo, the U.N. has called the conflict in eastern Congo “one of the most protracted, complex, serious humanitarian crises on Earth.”

It was not immediately clear what the specific terms of a final peace agreement would be and what concessions would be made. M23 had been pushing for the release of its members held by Congo’s army, many of them facing the death sentence. Congo had requested the withdrawal of the rebels from seized territories.

A key issue has been whether Rwanda will pull their support for the rebels, including the thousands of troops that the United Nations experts said are in eastern Congo.

When Rwanda and Congo signed the peace deal in Washington, Rwandan Foreign Minister Olivier Nduhungirehe said Rwanda agreed to lift its “defensive measures” — suggesting a reference to its troops eastern Congo — once Congo neutralizes an armed group whose members Kigali accuses of carrying out the 1994 genocide in Rwanda.

Analysts have say it is going to be difficult for the M23 rebels to withdraw from the eastern Congolese cities of Goma and Bukavu seized earlier this year and that it would depend on concessions Congolese authorities agree to make.

Copyright 2025 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.

You May Also Like

Pentagon Orders Audit of 30 University Foreign Partnerships - Internewscast Journal
  • Local news

Pentagon Orders Audit of 30 University Foreign Partnerships

The Department of Defense is directing 30 U.S. universities to conduct reviews…
  • Internewscast
  • August 18, 2026
Amendment 3 Explained: Tax Cut or Fiscal Time Bomb? - Internewscast Journal
  • Local news

Amendment 3 Explained: Tax Cut or Fiscal Time Bomb?

ORLANDO, Fla. – Florida’s Amendment 3 is drawing sharply divided reactions across…
  • Internewscast
  • August 19, 2026
Florida Emergency Management Chief Kevin Guthrie Resigns to Join Collins Campaign Ticket - Internewscast Journal
  • Local news

Florida Emergency Management Chief Kevin Guthrie Resigns to Join Collins Campaign Ticket

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – Florida Emergency Management Director Kevin Guthrie stepped down Tuesday,…
  • Internewscast
  • August 18, 2026
Deputies: Suspect Accused of Attempted Murder in Orlando Shooting - Internewscast Journal
  • Local news

Deputies: Suspect Accused of Attempted Murder in Orlando Shooting

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. – A 24-year-old man has been arrested after investigators…
  • Internewscast
  • August 19, 2026
Ossoff-Platner Parallels Pose New Risks for Susan Collins’ Reelection Campaign - Internewscast Journal
  • US

Ossoff-Platner Parallels Pose New Risks for Susan Collins’ Reelection Campaign

Sen. Jon Ossoff (D-GA) has long struck his critics as overly self-assured,…
  • Internewscast
  • August 19, 2026
Why Luigi Mangione's Friends Still Stand by Him After Confession - Internewscast Journal
  • News

Why Luigi Mangione’s Friends Still Stand by Him After Confession

Several friends of Luigi Mangione are speaking publicly in his defense after…
  • Internewscast
  • August 19, 2026

VIDEO: Tecate's Bold Response to Trump: "Go F*ck Yourself!" Shocking Tarif…

In a fiery showdown over tariffs, Mexican beer brand Tecate delivers a…
  • Internewscast
  • August 19, 2026
US Border Patrol Finds 69 Animals Stuffed in Pillowcases - Internewscast Journal
  • US

US Border Patrol Finds 69 Animals Stuffed in Pillowcases

A 66-year-old woman described by federal prosecutors as a Tijuana resident was…
  • Internewscast
  • August 19, 2026

Internewscast Journal

  • Home
  • Privacy Policy
  • DMCA Notice
  • Terms and Conditions
  • Guest Post
  • Support Our Cause
Copyright 2026. All Right Reserverd.