Los Angeles County will pay $2.7M to teen  attacked in 'gladiator fights' at detention facility
Share this @internewscast.com

LOS ANGELES — On Monday, Los Angeles County consented to a $2.7 million settlement with a teenager who was assaulted by at least six peers at a juvenile detention facility, in what were termed “gladiator fights” allegedly orchestrated by probation officers.

The assault on the boy in 2023 at Los Padrinos Juvenile Hall was recorded by surveillance footage, which also depicted a number of officials passively observing and even some exchanging handshakes with those engaged in the beating.

In March, a state grand jury indicted 30 correctional officers for their involvement in permitting and sometimes promoting nearly 70 fights between July and December 2023. The charges against the officers include child endangerment and abuse, conspiracy, and battery.

More than 140 victims between the ages of 12 and 18 were involved, according to authorities.

Attorney General Rob Bonta said after the charges were announced that it seemed the attacks were planned.

“They often wanted them to happen at the beginning of the day, in a certain time, in a certain place. A space and a time was created for the fights, and the plan was for the fights to happen,” he said.

The investigation began after the Los Angeles Times first obtained and published video footage that shows a then-16-year-old being attacked by at least six other young people, who came at him one by one as officers stand by watching.

The video was first made public during a court hearing during which a public defender for the boy, now 17, argued to a judge that he was not safe at Los Padrinos and should be released ahead of his trial.

His attorney, Jamal Tooson, said the settlement was a “first step” in recognizing the “egregious” conduct of the LA County Probation Department.

“Our priority needs to be not just protecting my client but all children in similar circumstances under the care and watch of the probation department,” Tooson said. “There were lawsuits prior to this. I personally represent several individuals who’ve been harmed at the same facility after this.”

According to a correction action plan written by the department, staff failed to review CCTV footage of the facility, delayed taking the teen to the hospital, and waited too long to notify his parents. To address these issues, the department will ensure CCTV monitors are “staffed routinely” and conduct random footage audits, and develop a protocol for making sure young people in custody are given medical care and their parents are informed appropriately.

A judge ruled in April that the LA County Probation Department could not continue housing juveniles at Los Padrinos and approved a plan in May to move more than 100 youths out of the facility. California’s state board overseeing local correctional facilities has previously ordered Los Padrinos to be shut down.

Tooson believes there is a pervasive “culture problem” extending throughout the probation department’s facilities that cannot be addressed by the correction action plan. He has filed at least 19 lawsuits in federal court alleging issues from physical violence allowed by officials to sexual assault by staff members in LA County’s youth detention centers, he said.

“Until we actively start changing the mindset and behavior of those who are put into a caretaking responsibility of these youth, I think we’re going to find ourselves in the same situation,” he said.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Brace for Impact: Thanksgiving Travelers Face Snow, Rain, and Chilly Weather Conditions

As Thanksgiving travelers began their journeys, snow and cold temperatures have already…

Post-Thanksgiving Travel Alert: Snow, Rain, and Cold Weather Set to Impact Journeys

As the Thanksgiving holiday weekend continues, travelers should brace themselves for a…

Community Outcry Escalates: Arrests Spark Controversy 100 Days Post Rainbow Crosswalk Removal

In Orlando, Florida, a crosswalk near the former Pulse nightclub has become…

Trader Joe’s Set to Open First Melbourne Location This December, Company Announces

MELBOURNE, Fla. – The eagerly awaited Trader Joe’s store in Central Florida…

Jonesborough Illuminates the Season with Annual Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony

The heart of Tennessee’s oldest town, Jonesborough, sprang to life as the…

Legionnaires’ Disease Alert: Ocoee Gym Under Investigation for Potential Outbreak

OCOEE, Fla. – A cloud of concern hovers over a local fitness…

SpaceX Schedules Florida Rocket Launch for Early Monday Morning

MERRITT ISLAND, Fla. – In the early hours of Monday, SpaceX is…

Senator Rick Scott’s Florida Residence Targeted in Thanksgiving Swatting Incident

NAPLES, Fla. – On Thanksgiving morning, U.S. Senator Rick Scott’s residence in…

Orlando’s Small Businesses Gear Up for Record-Breaking Saturday Shopping Rush

ORLANDO, Fla. – In a bid to accommodate the influx of shoppers,…

Bristol Rhythm & Roots Reveals Additional Artists for Its 2026 ’25 Artists for 25 Years’ Celebration

The Birthplace of Country Music has unveiled the first 25 artists set…

Heroic Sibling Rescue: How an Older Brother Saved His 10-Year-Old Sister in a Hawkins County ATV Accident

What began as a typical Saturday evening in Hawkins County quickly transformed…

Bristol, Va. House Fire Attributed to Candle Left Near Flammable Materials, Reports Fire Chief

BRISTOL, Va. (WJHL) — On Thanksgiving Day, a house fire in Bristol,…