Internewscast Journal
  • Home
  • US News
  • Local News
  • Health
  • People
  • Guest Post
  • Support Our Cause
Internewscast Journal
  • Home
  • US News
  • Local News
  • Health
  • People
  • Guest Post
  • Support Our Cause
Home Local news Trump’s FAA Administrator Nominee Faces Scrutiny Over Safety Concerns at Hearing
  • Local news

Trump’s FAA Administrator Nominee Faces Scrutiny Over Safety Concerns at Hearing

  • 2 minute read
Total
0
Shares
Share 0
Tweet 0
Pin it 0
Trump's FAA administrator pick facing tough questions on safety at hearing

Up next

Marines, National Guard deployed to LA will cost $134M: Pentagon

Pentagon Announces $134 Million Cost for Deploying Marines and National Guard to LA

Published on 11 June 2025

Author

Internewscast

Share article

The post has been shared by 0 people.
Facebook 0
X (Twitter) 0
Pinterest 0
Mail 0

Trump's FAA Administrator Nominee Faces Scrutiny Over Safety Concerns at Hearing

WASHINGTON – President Donald Trump’s nominee for the Federal Aviation Administration is being scrutinized over safety concerns during a hearing on Wednesday. This comes after a deadly midair collision in January and several other crashes and near misses that have occurred since.

The majority of the industry, including leading airlines and their associations, endorse Bryan Bedford’s nomination. However, pilots unions and Democrats are worried he may reduce pilot training standards.

Since 1999 Bedford has been the CEO of regional airline Republic Airways and brings over thirty years of industry experience. He has committed to prioritizing safety at the FAA and aims to restore public confidence in air travel. Additionally, Bedford has expressed his intention to collaborate with Congress on Trump’s extensive plan to revamp the nation’s air traffic control system.

The National Transportation Safety Board has said the FAA should have acted before the crash in Washington, D.C., because there had been 85 near misses reported around Ronald Reagan National Airport in the years before the disaster. The FAA has since banned some helicopter routes to make sure helicopters and planes no longer share the same airspace, but there have still been additional near misses in recent months.

FAA’s acting administrator and Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy have acknowledged the FAA’s shortcomings in not recognizing the risk and pledged to review all the agency’s data to identify any similar concerns nationwide about helicopter traffic near airports. That review prompted the agency to put new limits on helicopter flights around Las Vegas’ airport.

Even the air traffic controllers union backed Bedford’s nomination because of his support for the effort to modernize the outdated system and bolster controller hiring. Two different radar outages this spring in a facility that directs planes in and out of Newark Liberty International Airport highlighted the problems because the FAA had to limit flights at the airport after five controllers took trauma leave after the problems.

“Flying is safe, but as you know the system that manages our skies is showing its age,” Bedford said in his prepared statement to the committee. “The stresses of this antiquated system truly came into view as we all returned to the skies after COVID.”

Pilots’ unions and Democrats have raised concerns that Bedford may support weakening the 1,500-hour experience standard for airline pilots that was adopted after a 2009 crash or even might consider allowing some airlines to operate with only one pilot. Republic previously asked for permission to hire pilots with less experience because the standard was making it hard to find enough pilots.

“People are going to want to know … whether you’re going to lead any effort to change that rule,” Democratic Sen. Maria Cantwell said. She asked for a firm written answer because “you helped fund and lobbied for a change for it.”

Bedford acknowledged Wednesday that “problems persist and more work needs to be done” to ensure the safety of flying around the nation’s capital. He said his own airline’s planes have received at least three alarms about conflicting traffic around Reagan since January.

Copyright 2025 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.

You May Also Like

Lake County Launches Machine Recount in Tight District 11 Republican Contest - Internewscast Journal
  • Local news

Lake County Launches Machine Recount in Tight District 11 Republican Contest

LAKE COUNTY, Fla. – A razor-thin Republican primary contest for Florida’s Congressional…
  • Internewscast
  • August 22, 2026
Boston Symphony Orchestra Musicians Union Authorizes First Strike in Ensemble’s 145-Year History - Internewscast Journal
  • Local news

Boston Symphony Orchestra Musicians Union Authorizes First Strike in Ensemble’s 145-Year History

LENOX, Mass. – Musicians with the Boston Symphony Orchestra have authorized what…
  • Internewscast
  • August 23, 2026
Trump Urges Court to Block BBC Request for Family Records in Defamation Case - Internewscast Journal
  • Local news

Trump Urges Court to Block BBC Request for Family Records in Defamation Case

WASHINGTON – President Donald Trump is asking a federal judge to deny…
  • Internewscast
  • August 22, 2026
Congo Receives Over 16,000 Ebola Vaccine Doses Amid Unprecedented Outbreak - Internewscast Journal
  • Local news

Congo Receives Over 16,000 Ebola Vaccine Doses Amid Unprecedented Outbreak

BUNIA – Congo has taken delivery of more than 16,000 doses of…
  • Internewscast
  • August 22, 2026
Woman in Her 30s Convicted for Posing as Child in Family Home - Internewscast Journal
  • US

Woman in Her 30s Convicted for Posing as Child in Family Home

A Brazilian woman has been convicted after authorities said she spent more…
  • Internewscast
  • August 23, 2026
Conjoined Twin Girls Die After Fifth Separation Surgery Fails - Internewscast Journal
  • News

Conjoined Twin Girls Die After Fifth Separation Surgery Fails

Two-year-old conjoined twin sisters tragically died during a highly complex separation…
  • Internewscast
  • August 23, 2026
Sophie Cunningham Supporters and Critics Rally Outside NYC Arena During Liberty-Fever Game Amid Trans Controversy - Internewscast Journal
  • US

Sophie Cunningham Supporters and Critics Rally Outside NYC Arena During Liberty-Fever Game Amid Trans Controversy

Competing protests broke out outside the New York Liberty’s Saturday matchup at…
  • Internewscast
  • August 23, 2026
Boston Symphony Orchestra Musicians Union Authorizes First Strike in Ensemble’s 145-Year History - Internewscast Journal
  • Local news

Boston Symphony Orchestra Musicians Union Authorizes First Strike in Ensemble’s 145-Year History

LENOX, Mass. – Musicians with the Boston Symphony Orchestra have authorized what…
  • Internewscast
  • August 23, 2026

Internewscast Journal

  • Home
  • Privacy Policy
  • DMCA Notice
  • Terms and Conditions
  • Guest Post
  • Support Our Cause
Copyright 2026. All Right Reserverd.