Share this @internewscast.com

Alex de Minaur, after experiencing another disappointing exit from the Australian Open, understands that the path to bridging the gap with the world’s elite tennis players requires unwavering perseverance. His ambition to capture a grand slam title remains, but the journey is undeniably challenging.

During his quarter-final showdown with world number one Carlos Alcaraz, de Minaur was starkly reminded of the distance he still needs to cover. Despite an electrifying start that had local fans dreaming of a potential upset, the match swiftly turned into a familiar story of struggle, as Alcaraz dominated with a 7-5, 6-2, 6-1 victory at Rod Laver Arena on Tuesday night.

Reflecting on the match, the 26-year-old maintained a resilient outlook, stating, “You just got to keep on moving. It’s the only way. As tough as it is when you get results like this, you get back up, you get back on the horse, and that’s it.”

De Minaur’s journey through grand slam quarter-finals has been fraught with challenges, as he has yet to secure a victory in his first seven appearances. This unfortunate statistic places him alongside Andrey Rublev and Tommy Robredo, making him only the third man in the Open Era to encounter such a hurdle.

“I mean, as tough as it is when you get results like this, you get back up, you get back on the horse, and that’s it.”

De Minaur has lost his first seven grand slam quarter-final appearances and is the third man in the open era to do so, after Andrey Rublev and Tommy Robredo.

He first reached the last eight at Melbourne Park a year ago, when he was beaten by Jannik Sinner, who was then on the march to a second straight AO crown.

In the aftermath, de Minaur went on to reach a career-high ranking of world number six in the world and held his top-10 billing for most of last year.

But, frustratingly, he remains a level below Alcaraz and Sinner, nursing a combined 0-19 head-to-head record against the two big guns.

‘It doesn’t feel amazing’

Tuesday’s defeat was his sixth in as many meetings with Alcaraz.

“It doesn’t feel amazing, I’ll tell you that,” de Minaur said.

“You try do the right things, you try keep on improving.

“But when the results don’t come or the scoreline doesn’t reflect those improvements, then of course you feel quite deflated.”

Two male tennis players shaking hands over a net, both holding raquets

Alex de Minaur (left) said he would try to improve following his loss to Carlos Alcaraz (right). Source: AP / Dita Alangkara

There is no encouragement to be had from the records of Rublev and Robredo. The latter’s seventh quarter-final in 2013 was also his last, with the Spaniard now retired.

Rublev, 28, is still playing and ranked world number 14, but the Russian has now reached ten quarter-finals without progressing, most recently at the Australian Open two years ago.

De Minaur wasn’t without his moments against Alcaraz.

He fought back from 3-0 down in the first set to level the score and at one point hit an outrageous backhand winner in mid-air.

“There was some good parts out there, but overall, I’m playing out of my comfort zone and at times out of my skin,” de Minaur said.

“Of course, for me to take that next step, I’ve got to be comfortable in playing that sort of way for the whole match.

“That’s what it takes, you know, to take it to the next level, especially against these types of guys.”

Alcaraz, who is still alive in his quest to complete a career grand slam this tournament, said de Minaur presents a difficult challenge.

But the six-time major winner felt he had the upper hand against the Australian in their latest showdown.

“When he’s playing against the best or the top player, he’s trying to be more aggressive, which sometimes he’s just out of his comfort zone,” Alcaraz said.

“That (why) sometimes we’re seeing him miss quite often some quite easy balls.

“I notice that, and we know how to approach the match, because we are one step forward in that case.”


For the latest from SBS News, download our app and subscribe to our newsletter.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
Coles tells court shoppers care about 'fair dinkum' discounts

Coles Reveals Shopper Loyalty Hinges on Authentic Discounts: A Courtroom Insight

Coles has stood by its “down down” discount strategy, asserting that customers…
Reverend Jesse Jackson dead at 84

Reverend Jesse Jackson Passes Away at 84

The Reverend Jesse Louis Jackson, the towering civil rights leader whose moral…
Opposition Leader Angus Taylor has unveiled his new shadow ministry this afternoon, bringing back the Nationals and exiled members.

New Opposition Leader Revamps Shadow Ministry with Major Promotions and Strategic Returns

Angus Taylor, the Opposition Leader, has introduced his revamped shadow ministry, re-integrating…
The Todd Tavern in Alice Springs is one of 20 venues where the serving of alcohol will be further restricted.

Alice Springs Enforces New Mid-Week Pub Rules: No Meal, No Pint Policy Shakes Up Local Scene

A sweeping reform is set to hit pubs in Alice Springs as…
The Australian Education Union is urging the Victorian Government to trial a four-day work week for teachers to avoid future recruitment issues.

Proposal for a Four-Day Work Week for Teachers Gains Momentum

The Australian Education Union is urging the Victorian government to trial a…
24 cats were taken from the woman, who is not allowed to be in the care of more than five felines.

Victorian Property Raid Uncovers Dozens of Animals in Distress: Serial Cruelty Offender Under Investigation

A serial animal cruelty offender, who a court found has been abusing…

Name Revealed: Court Lifts Suppression Order on Alleged Invasion Day Bomber

A Perth magistrate has lifted the anonymity of a man accused of…

Sydney Eases Protest Restrictions Following Two-Month Enforcement Period

In brief NSW Police commissioner Mal Lanyon said he was satisfied there…
Man to face trial over 40 years after granny's 'reprehensible' rape

Justice Delayed: Man Faces Trial for Heinous 1983 Rape of Grandmother

Warning: This article includes content that may be distressing to some readers.…
Brandan Koschel attended the March for Australia protest alongside hundreds of others winding their way through Sydney's city centre.

White Supremacist Sentenced for Incendiary Australia Day Speech

A man who threw his support behind neo-Nazis and spouted anti-Semitic remarks…
One Nation leader Senator Pauline Hanson during a press conference at Parliament House in Canberra on Monday 19 January 2026.

Pauline Hanson Faces Backlash: Controversial Remarks Slammed as ‘Un-Australian

One of Australia’s most prominent conservative senators has delivered a stinging critique…

Exposing the Exploitation: Urgent Oversight Needed as NDIS Providers Threaten First Nations’ Vulnerable

Individuals with disabilities, considered vulnerable, are being lured with monetary incentives, food,…