'There will never be justice': Mother confronts son's killer after decades of pain
Share this @internewscast.com

When Julie Szabo agreed to let her son attend his first sleepover, she had no inkling that he would never return.

Over 27 years have passed, yet the remorse from that fateful choice continues to haunt her.

Arthur Haines had been sleeping over on the top floor of a friend’s house in Sydney‘s inner south, on April 9, 1998.
Julie Szabo, the mother of Arthur Haines. (Nine News)
“It was going to be the first night he had not slept under the same roof as me,” Szabo wrote in a victim impact statement read to the NSW Supreme Court today.

“I said ‘yes’… and I dwell on that decision often,” she reflects.

“Before he left, we shared a big hug and exchanged ‘I love yous.’ Little did I know it would be among our last embraces.”

Gregory John Walker has been charged with murder over the death of Arthur Haines in 1998.
Gregory John Walker has been charged with murder over the death of Arthur Haines in 1998. (Supplied)

“The burden of guilt is overwhelming,” she admits.

That evening, a disagreement among neighbors escalated into tragedy.

Gregory John Walker, then 30, threw a Molotov cocktail into the kitchen of the Waterloo home.

Within minutes, flames and smoke had begun consuming the house and heating the floor beneath Arthur’s feet.

The teenager, trapped in the third-floor bedroom, had no choice but to jump.

Arthur Haines died in a house fire in Waterloo in 1998. (9News)

When he landed, his body was smouldering, having sustained severe burns on up to 65 per cent of his body.

Arthur died in hospital 11 weeks later.

Walker was forced to confront his victim’s family for the first time in almost three decades as Szabo’s words reverberated through Darlinghurst Courthouse.

He looked straight ahead for most of the statement, until its final line.

“I will never forget what you have done to my son,” Szabo’s statement said.

“If it were not for you, my son would still be here today.”

The mother looked over at Walker, and the arsonist glanced back.

Arthur’s case went unsolved for more than two decades, until a third investigation – which offered a $1 million award for information – led to Walker’s arrest in 2022.

He pleaded guilty to manslaughter in October.

Arthur Haines died 11 weeks after a house fire in Waterloo, Sydney, in 1998.
Arthur Haines died 11 weeks after a house fire in Waterloo, Sydney, in 1998. (NSW Police)

“On paper, justice has been served,” Szabo’s statement said.

“But as a mother whose son died so tragically, there will never be justice.”

While she outlined the depth and breadth of her pain, she said it was nothing compared to what Arthur had suffered.

The teenager spent two months in hospital fighting for his life, stuck on a ventilator before eventually succumbing to his injuries.

Every Easter, Szabo’s pain worsens, and every Christmas – Arthur’s favourite time of year – the signs of his absence grow clearer.

She has tried to cope by growing a garden in the home they used to share.

Julie has tried to cope by growing a garden in the home they used to share. (Steven Siewert)

Lemons, pomegranates, dragon fruit, blood orange, passionfruit and more line the perimeter while a bleeding heart vine grows outside her window.

“(It) is a representation of my own heart”, she said.

Walker faces another charge of maliciously inflicting grievous bodily harm after he punched a neighbour and bit off part of his ear in April 1998.

“If you think that was a big fire, wait until you see my next one,” Walker told the man in a separate interaction about a week after the fire.

In 2014, he told a witness that if he had “known there was a kid there, I wouldn’t have gone through with it”.

Walker faces up to 25 years in prison.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Tragic Collision Claims Life of Beloved Teacher as Man Escapes ICE Traffic Stop

Insets: Linda Davis (Savannah-Chatham County Public School System) and Oscar Vasquez Lopez…

Tragic Cross-State Crime: Man Fatally Attacks Mother and Abducts Young Boy, Sparking Nationwide Alert

Inset: Raymond Carmona (Tarrant County Corrections Center). Background: The Casey”s gas station…

Escalation in Sydney’s Underworld: Police Probe Trio of Incidents Within Days

Sydney’s underworld war is out of the shadows with a home sprayed…

Inmate Faces 40 New Charges for Staggering 139 Calls to Victim on Jail’s Free Phone Service

Staff Report GAINESVILLE, Fla. – Landon Kirell Coleman, aged 22, currently incarcerated…

Alabama Mother Faces Charges for Filing False Report in Toddler’s Disappearance Case

In Alabama, authorities have taken a significant step in the case of…

Hillary Clinton Requests Court to Hold Trump and Legal Team Accountable for Interest Accrual on Unpaid Million-Dollar Sanctions

Left: Former US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton speaks at the Mumbai…

Tragic Betrayal: Father of Five Fatally Shot by Close Friend Amid Affair Allegations

Left inset: Mychael Thompson (KLAS/YouTube). Right inset: Antwon Watson (KSNV/YouTube). Background: The…

Shocking Family Vacation Incident: 12-Year-Old Endures ‘Death Camp’ Ordeal as Sibling’s Cruelty Unfolds

Background: News footage of Tyler Peterson in court during his sentencing on…

Shocking Airport Discovery Leads to Australian Man’s Arrest on Child Sex Charges

A Queensland man has appeared in court after allegedly offering $700 to…

Notorious Offender Admits Guilt: Federal Firearm Possession Charges in Latest Legal Battle

Staff Report GAINESVILLE, Fla. – Tyrese Da’Jon Jones, a 26-year-old, has admitted…

Heartbreaking Abandonment: Newborn Left to Die in Grocery Bag Sparks Outrage and Awareness

Inset: Pamela Ferreyra (Monterey County District Attorney’s Office). Background: The area where…

Individual Accused of Making Death Threats Against Treasurer Jim Chalmers

A 55-year-old man has been taken into custody following a search of…