Share this @internewscast.com

The son and father who were convicted in November in a Georgia state court of murdering Ahmaud Arbery reached a plea agreement Sunday night in a federal hate crimes case related to the killing.

Arbery’s family views the deal made by the U.S. Department of Justice as a betrayal to them and called on the judge to reject the deal during a Monday hearing.

The plea agreement came as a surprise to the family, said family attorney Lee Merritt. The deal, according to Merritt, allows Travis and Gregory McMichael to serve their first 30 years of the life sentences they received in Arbery’s murder trial in federal prison, since it allows the McMichaels to admit fault in pursing Arbery because of his race. Merritt described it as a softer punishment since federal facilities are “safer, less crowded and more orderly” than Georgia prisons.

The agreement made no mention of William “Roddie” Bryan, who is also charged with a hate crime in Arbery’s murder. All three men were convicted of murder on Jan. 7 and sentenced to life in prison. Bryan received the possibility of getting parole.

“The DOJ has gone behind my back to offer the men who murdered my son a deal to make their time in prison easier for them to serve. I have made it clear at every possible moment that I do not agree to offer these men a plea deal of any kind,” said Arbery’s mother, Wanda Cooper-Jones. “I have been completely betrayed by DOJ lawyers.”

Merritt said Arbery’s family has “worked hard” to make sure the McMichaels spend the rest of their lives in state custody. He called the DOJ agreement a “back room” deal and said it represents a “betrayal” to the “Arbery family who is devastated” about the 25-year-old’s murder.

“Federal prison is a country club when compared to state prison. Federal prisons are less populated, better funded and generally more accommodating than state prisons. These men hurriedly entered this plea deal that would allow them to transfer out of custody from GA prison,” Merritt said on Twitter late Sunday night.

“In essence they get to publicly brag about their hatred & then be rewarded by the federal government,” he added.

The deal requires the approval of U.S. District Court Judge Lisa Godbey Wood. Monday’s hearing had been set to address other remaining pre-trial issues ahead of jury selection slated for Feb. 7. The jury selection is expected to last up to three weeks.

The federal hate crime charges accuse the McMichaels and Bryan of violating Arbery’s rights on Feb. 23, 2020, the day they chased and killed him. Both the McMichaels were armed while in a pickup truck chasing Arbery. Bryan followed.

During the state trial, the defense argued the men had reasonable suspicion to follow Arbery that day, while prosecutors said the men made decisions based on “assumptions.”

National outrage followed Arbery’s murder in 2020 after the video of the deadly chase surfaced and spread on social media.

Source: huffpost

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Bondi Terrorism Suspect Naveed Akram Makes Initial Court Appearance

Accused Bondi terrorist Naveed Akram has broken his silence in brief remarks…

High-Speed Pursuit: Man Who Threatened Trump Escalates Tensions with Deputy Car Ramming

Main: President Donald Trump delivers the Memorial Day Address at the 157th…

Tragic Twists: Widower’s Heartbreaking Journey After Losing Wife and Two Children

Phillip Crosland is grappling with profound loss after his wife and lifelong…

Ex-Police Chief’s Revenge Rampage: Arson Spree Targets Alleged Enemies

David Crawford (Prince George’s County Fire:EMS Department and YouTube screengrabs) A former…

FBI Breakthrough: Savannah Guthrie’s Emotional Appeal in Shocking Glove Discovery Linked to Suspect

In a poignant appeal, “Today” show host Savannah Guthrie reached out to…

Video Game Obsession Turns Violent: Son Pulls Assault Rifle on Mother Amid Heated Entitlement Dispute

Insets: Beau Lieurance (Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office/KSAZ/YouTube). Background: The Arizona home where…

Father’s Unexplained Disappearance Now Deemed Suspicious by Authorities

A father who disappeared from Melbourne almost 14 years ago is now…

Alabama Mystery: 3-Year-Old Vanishes From Bedroom, Mother Appeals for Help

Authorities in Alabama are actively seeking information to locate a missing 3-year-old…

Tragic Neglect: Caregiver’s Anime Binge Linked to Carbon Monoxide Deaths of Three Disabled Men in Garage

Insets, from left: Timothy Jones, Mosa’ati Moa, and Colton Moser (GoFundMe). Background:…

Man Evades Murder Charge After Placing Woman’s Remains in Tote Bin by Dumpster

Daniel Clark (Arvada police) and Chelsea Beadles (1st Judicial District Attorney”s Office).…

Shocking Mustang Crash: Driver Claims She Mistook Pedestrian for Speed Bump in Crosswalk Accident

Left inset: Dawn Dunkle (Clearwater Police Department). Right inset: Elbert Gilbert (GoFundMe).…

Gainesville Man Charged with Assault After Allegedly Breaking Woman’s Arm in Violent Incident

Staff Report GAINESVILLE, Fla. – Authorities have taken Tobreis Corney Fields, 37,…